Thread: Tricaster with old VT5 need info please

Tricaster with old VT5 need info please

Hello. This is my first post on this discussion forum. I'm a digital video/Latin teacher south of Pittsburgh. Two related fields, right.

I have an old Newtek VT5 system (which we purchased when it was a VT4). It has the old sx-84 breakout box and all the gingerbread from way back.

We updated to the Tricaster 460 about 6 months ago. Wow! What a difference.

Here's my question. There is a live event scheduled for later this month. It's a candidate forum which the organizers want to publish online. No big deal for the 460. My question, which I hope will work in my favor:

Can I (instead of tearing the studio down) use the old VT5 as my production rig and send a network feed to the 460 which is in the same building and can be on the same subnet? Or does this technology not work with the VT5?

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

The VT5 system does not support network output. You could still of course feed the 460 using the VT's component output. Bit more advanced way to do it over the network would be to use VLC on the VT5 fed from the VT Video Device, and stream with that to the 460 network inputs.

Thank you Joe. This is what I was afraid of. Probably going to have to run some cables.