Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricaster outputting to a mixer?

Tricaster outputting to a mixer?

I was wondering if there is a way to output audio from the Tricaster, into a mixer, and then have the mixer then input the audio back into the tricaster. The hope is that I would be able to get one source of audio, and control all of that audio with the mixer. The mixer hasn't arrived yet, and the original plan was for it just to be for the mics, but I was wondering if what I'm asking is also possible, perhaps by using a different output.

We stream using Livestream, so the audio output going to the stream would have to be just the main output, but if its possible to feed the video's audio and background music's audio to the mixer, so it can be mixed with the mics, and then fed back into the tricaster for the stream output, that'd be awesome.

Which model of Tricaster are you using?

TriCaster 410

I'm assuming that there will be microphones and other external sources connected to the external audio mixing board. Then, you want to take TriCaster's internal audio sources (DDRs, Effects, NET, etc.) OUT to the mixer to be combined with other sounds, perhaps also ran to speakers in the room if a live event type of thing. Then take the completed mix back into TriCaster for purpose of recording/streaming using that final audio mix. All without echo/feedback loop, right?

Easy. In TC Audio Mixer, each audio source can be routed to whatever output pair(s) you want. You have TWO stereo pairs in, and TWO pair out. Send the desired TC sources such as DDR to the OUT that is connected to the mixer console. Take the audio output from the mix console back into TriCaster and route that to the OTHER output pair. Use that output as the source to RECORD and STREAM (right-click in Program Monitor I believe to bring up the UI for final output routing).

Also, in TC audio mixer, you can check the box for AUDIO FOLLOW and then select which sources are tied to which audio. For instance, if DDR 1 audio is set to follow DDR 1 only, then the sound from DDR 1 will never be sent anywhere unless DDR 1 is selected for Program. That way, the audio mixer person doesn't have to lower that audio when not wanted, it is "automatic" so he can set the level on his board and forget it. Hope this all makes sense. I don't have much of an audio background and figured this out all recently and it is pretty powerful the way TC lets you configure it all!

I'll add for the benefit of TC40 users, who only have ONE audio output, there is a fix - use the headphone output to feed the mixer, and choose MUTE and SOLO for each audio source that you want to go to the headphone out. Poor Man's routing feature. The mixer audio then comes back into TC40 via the single RCA input pair and that is your master mix.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers
    Last edited by JPulera; 10-08-2014 at 12:30 PM.

So in order to do this on the Tricaster 410, I need more than just XLR cables, right? Because the XLR cables are only responsible for 1 of the audio inputs?

Altenratively, it would not be at all unusual to place a mixer upstream of TriCaster's audio inputs.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Just to work off of Steve's suggestion and clarify my earlier post - if you are NOT using DDR playback within TriCaster and don't care about any Transition sound effects or need any sound from Network inputs, then of course you can simply connect all mics/ext. audio sources to an external audio mixer and just feed the result into TriCaster, simple. I was discussing how to combine externally mixed audio with TriCaster-generated audio and get it all back into TriCaster again for recording/streaming.

But yes, you might need some 1/4" phono cables as well to make it all work

Thanks

Jeff

Right now I have the mixer hooked up to the TriCaster through 1a and 1b, with XLR cables. I have a 1/4" Cable hooked up on the OUT for 2a, no 2b though, just one cable. That is then plugged into the mixer.

The mixer has a Mic plugged in, and the 1/4" cable from the TriCaster, however, the only levels I get are from the mic. Am I routing it wrong? or is the set up I have on the TriCaster wrong?

I have it working now. Honestly don't know what I did. But there is a crazy amount of echo on the things being played from the TriCaster. The volume on the mixer is low, don't know how I can get the echo out. Been playing with the settings, but nothing gets it out. Could it be because I only have the 1 cable?

Make sure that the Routing in TriCaster Audio Mixer for the 1a and 1b inputs is NOT going to 2a-2b outputs. This would create a loop with mixer.

For internal audio sources in TC such as DDR, Effects, NET, make sure the output routing for those goes to 2a-2b only and not the 1a-1b outputs.

Assuming you are monitoring TC audio via speakers or headphones connected to TC then?

I don't have a unit similar to yours in house at the moment to further check settings, just going from memory here. Should have a 460 arriving today and I can double-check settings options.

Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Jeff

Just cracked open the box on a new 460 unit and fired it up. Now, I do NOT have a mixer/speakers hooked up to 100% verify this, but here goes:

If external mixer is coming into 1a-1b inputs, then open TC Audio Mixer and click the gear for Input 1. Under ROUTING, the default is "AUX 1,2" and "Master 1,2". Uncheck AUX, as you don't want the mixer audio going there, since the AUX out is what you have going to the mixer, 2a right? That would create a loop.

Then for DDR, NET, Effects, etc. - any INTERNAL sounds in TriCaster that you do want to go OUT to the mixer, do the opposite - check the AUX box for routing and NOT the Master.

Now, if you have speakers connected to the main audio outputs (XLR 1a-1b) then you should not have echo/looping. Hit the GEAR in Program monitor window and check the output settings to make sure of which output is outputting which set of audio, AUX or MASTER as well.

Curious why not using stereo out to mixer - are you simply short a 1/4" cable? TC sources will have stereo sound, so best to send it all to mixer if you can.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    Just cracked open the box on a new 460 unit and fired it up. Now, I do NOT have a mixer/speakers hooked up to 100% verify this, but here goes:

If external mixer is coming into 1a-1b inputs, then open TC Audio Mixer and click the gear for Input 1. Under ROUTING, the default is "AUX 1,2" and "Master 1,2". Uncheck AUX, as you don't want the mixer audio going there, since the AUX out is what you have going to the mixer, 2a right? That would create a loop.

Then for DDR, NET, Effects, etc. - any INTERNAL sounds in TriCaster that you do want to go OUT to the mixer, do the opposite - check the AUX box for routing and NOT the Master.

Now, if you have speakers connected to the main audio outputs (XLR 1a-1b) then you should not have echo/looping. Hit the GEAR in Program monitor window and check the output settings to make sure of which output is outputting which set of audio, AUX or MASTER as well.

Curious why not using stereo out to mixer - are you simply short a 1/4" cable? TC sources will have stereo sound, so best to send it all to mixer if you can.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers
    I'm a new forum member and I searched for ways to output the internally generated sounds from TC 460 ... ie. DDR1, DDR2, Sound players and Network sources ... to separate inputs on an audio mixer board ... ie. separate fader control of all of those TC sources. And have the ability to bring all mixer output back into the TC for recording and live streaming without echo, etc.

Your solution in this post seems to answer my needs, but I am lost in the configuration of it all. Would you mind providing detail instruction on how to do this on a TC460 AE?

Thank you !

Very easy to isolate the internal sounds sources with AE to create a mix-minus feed which can then be output to the sound board, then master mix (which includes those sounds and other sources) then comes back into TriCaster for streaming, recording, etc.

However, would take a LOT of writing and pictures to explain, much easier for someone to show you, such as remotely using Team Viewer. I did actually begin writing a white paper on using the Matrix routing today, because it is not really well covered in the User Guide.

PM me for more info

Thanks

Jeff

Yeah. the ISO and mix minus are great if you are doing sports especially. You can basically send everything back to the broadcasters aside from their own mics.

Important if you need them to hear things like the sound effects on a replay wipe or hear natural sound from something.

I also created a simple macro to mute/unmute the broadcasters and crowd mic with simple button push. Recently I created a fade up and down macro for highlight music during packages! Just an endless amount of things you can do.

Hi Ron,

Just threw together a quick instruction set for mix-minus. I have a Mini so am not sure on 410, it is possible that the 1/4" outputs on back are already AUX 1, so *maybe* last step in instructions (Output Config) is not needed, test to see.

Hope I got it all right. And move your mouse to far left of Audio Mixer and those tabs pop out (I always forget the correct name). You can right-click and EXPORT to save the current audio mixer configuration. Then you could later, in a different Session, just IMPORT that mix-minus setup and not have to create it again from scratch!

Quick Mix Minus.pdf

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast