Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tricaster outputting to a mixer?

Thanks Jeff. This is awesome ... complete with pictures !! I'll let you know how it works out. Also, thanks for the tip on exporting the mixer configuration, so I don't need to create it from scratch.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    Hi Ron,

Just threw together a quick instruction set for mix-minus. I have a Mini so am not sure on 410, it is possible that the 1/4" outputs on back are already AUX 1, so *maybe* last step in instructions (Output Config) is not needed, test to see.

Hope I got it all right. And move your mouse to far left of Audio Mixer and those tabs pop out (I always forget the correct name). You can right-click and EXPORT to save the current audio mixer configuration. Then you could later, in a different Session, just IMPORT that mix-minus setup and not have to create it again from scratch!

Attachment 136594

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor
    Hi Jeff,

I was successful in configuring all the TC internal sound sources to AUX 1 audio output. Your instructions are great! You helped me solve part off my challenge.

The next step for me (if possible) is to configure DDR1, DDR2 and Sound outputs to independent feeds (input faders) on our audio board. I'm assuming that each internal source will need a different AUX output ... ie. DDR1 gets AUX1, DDR2 gets AUX2 and Sound gets Aux3. I can't figure out which TC output connectors are used for which AUX outs. Can this be done on the TC460 AE?

Thanks for your help!

Ron

Again, we have the TC460 AE.

Another approach to this is to flatten the signals you want as mono sources on a single Aux bus, using the routing controls to do so. This can save using up all your Aux busses.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Another approach to this is to flatten the signals you want as mono sources on a single Aux bus, using the routing controls to do so. This can save using up all your Aux busses.
    Please explain.

An AUX output is stereo and has 2 plugs on back of TriCaster, Channel 1 and 2, or Left and Right, however you want to name them. I believe what Steve is saying is that for example, Channel 1 plug will be DDR1, and Channel 2 plug will be DDR2. Then you have two separate MONO feeds to give to sound board. You have taken care of getting TWO unique sources to sound board, using only ONE of the AUX outputs. Easily set up using matrix routing.

I'm curious as to why every source needs to be on a separate slider on the external sound board? You have control of TriCaster's internal sound sources via the internal mixer, which is easily controlled by macros if you only want to output one at a time (over same cable). I've always just provided ONE output from TriCaster to sound board, and I'm controlling what gets sent out from TriCaster. Usually only playing one source at any time anyway.

With Macros, you could use Automation for instance so a DDR audio source is muted until such time that it goes to PROGRAM then it is automatically unmuted, then muted again when DDR is off Program.

Thanks

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    An AUX output is stereo and has 2 plugs on back of TriCaster, Channel 1 and 2, or Left and Right, however you want to name them. I believe what Steve is saying is that for example, Channel 1 plug will be DDR1, and Channel 2 plug will be DDR2. Then you have two separate MONO feeds to give to sound board. You have taken care of getting TWO unique sources to sound board, using only ONE of the AUX outputs. Easily set up using matrix routing.

I'm curious as to why every source needs to be on a separate slider on the external sound board? You have control of TriCaster's internal sound sources via the internal mixer, which is easily controlled by macros if you only want to output one at a time (over same cable). I've always just provided ONE output from TriCaster to sound board, and I'm controlling what gets sent out from TriCaster. Usually only playing one source at any time anyway.

With Macros, you could use Automation for instance so a DDR audio source is muted until such time that it goes to PROGRAM then it is automatically unmuted, then muted again when DDR is off Program.

Thanks

Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

Thanks for responding. I wasn't aware that you could separate the stereo channels of a TC audio output by aux assignment. That's a clever solution for conserving aux routing, but the comprise is the signal is now mono. Not a good solution for our needs.

We are using our TC460 along with other traditional external broadcast devices ... all for the purpose of a live broadcast production classroom. We have 25 students per class, which are divided in 3 teams who are assigned to control room, studio and producer positions. We teach each group "real world" skill sets which are commonly used in live network broadcast jobs.

So, we find it more beneficial to teach the "old school" basics in the first year ... i.e., operating audio boards with multiple sources, professional camera setup and live shading, live camera operation in studio and outdoor events, stage managers and field crews ... the whole picture. We want our students to be able to graduate with skills which are valuable in today's production environments. That type of depth requires a bit of "reverse engineering" with switchers like the TC460, which are designed to allow a single person to produce a complex live broadcast.

We think the TriCaster is a very well designed switcher. It has many features which rival top of the line industry giants. We just want to find a way to use it well in a "hands-on" "multi-station" control room.

We appreciate your help figuring it out !!

Ron

Will this also work on the 460AE2 model? Was looking into the mix-minus set up.

AE's input routing makes mix minus pretty easy., but 460 doesn't provide a lot of analog audio output connectors, so there are some limits if you need that.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by jkerry211 View Post
    Will this also work on the 460AE2 model? Was looking into the mix-minus set up.
    JKerry - yes, discussing AE models specifically, which offer the matrix routing controls not available with SE software.

Ron - we have MASTER, AUX1, AUX2, and AUX3 that can be configured in matrix. You can only send ONE of those to each output pair, so we are not sending one "AUX" mix to a left out and different AUX to the right output of same pair. Rather, we can use a single AUX output, but with unique mono sources on each channel ("A and B", or "left and right"). I understand now that you are perhaps just using TriCaster as a source feeder to the audio board to teach board usage, so now it makes sense why you want all the unique outputs.

On rear of 410/460, there are TWO output pairs, 1a/1b as XLR, and 2a/2b as phono. You can send one mix to each PAIR. For instance, AUX1 to 1a/1b and AUX2 to 2a/2b. However, rather than stereo on each pair, the matrix can be configured to output a unique sound on each channel of each pair, so you would be able to program 4 unique mono outputs (like DDR1, DDR2, SOUND, and Effects) to the 4 output plugs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TC 400 audio outs.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	136630

If you need more than 4 unique outputs, you have two additional mixes that are embedded in SDI 1 and 2 video outputs. By using SDI Audio Disembedders, you could pull analog audio from the SDI ports. Since the matrix routing provides 4 channels of audio to each mix, you should be able to then pull 4 individual audio channels from each SDI disembedder (or two stereo pairs). See image of Black Magic disembedder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDI to Audio.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	136631

Mind you, I am using a Mini AE so some of this is theoretical for me. If I have something wrong, someone please correct me. I do have a TC1 (coming soon I hope) then I can play more.

Here's an exercise I used when learning the matrix stuff last week. I created an AUX1 output with 4 channels. 1 = DDR1, 2 = DDR2, 3/4 = SOUND player (Stereo music track). I set the RECORD CONFIG to use AUX1 sound source, and recorded for a minute or two, with both DDRs and Sound player running clips. I then put the recorded .mov clip into a DDR and found that I did indeed have a clip with 4-channel sound, so anyone can create their own clip like that for testing. Once it is made, then you can have a SINGLE source but play with routing matrix to hear the 4 individual sounds, or mixes of them, in your headphones. I found it to be a great learning tool. I could swap channels from one ear to the other or both ears, combine various combinations of sources, etc. - fun stuff! (remember to SOLO the AUX you are playing with to hear that alone in headphones). And you can't hard source channels 3/4 in headphones until you map them over to 1/2 in an AUX bus (and SOLO it).

Soooo.....if you want LOTS of outputs to feed the mixer with....let's see...2xSDI, with 4 channels per SDI is 8 channels, then 4 more using the XLR and Phono outputs...I guess that makes what, 12 unique mono outputs possible?

Of course, we have just 2 DDRs and 1 Sound player, so we don't have 12 playback sources inside TriCaster...or do we? Use the trick of creating a 4-channel mix and recording a couple of those clips, then play those 2 separate clips in the two DDRs and that's 8 simultaneous audio output sources (one mix to each SDI, 4 channels per SDI using disembedder). Or rather than 8 mono, get 4 stereo pairs via SDI to analog, then 2 more stereo pairs out the analog jacks gives you 6 stereo pairs for the sound board. Quite doable I believe. Again, all theory spewing forth from my head right now, but I think this works. So "build" your own custom 4-channel video clips in TriCaster and use them for multi-channel sources.

Goodnight

Jeff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12