Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GPU vs CPU Rendering - Benchamrks and Compare - Great Article

GPU vs CPU Rendering - Benchamrks and Compare - Great Article

Did anyone see this article by BOXX? I know there are some that say GPU rendering is not the future, but I say it def. has it's place. I wish we could get some of that nativly inside LW. Not bolted on as an add-on partner like Octane. Just give me a way to use my cuda cores in my Titan via the VPR with native surfacing!....pretty please....

http://blog.boxxtech.com/2014/10/02/...al-benchmarks/

Quote Originally Posted by tcoursey View Post
    I wish we could get some of that nativly inside LW. Not bolted on as an add-on partner like Octane. Just give me a way to use my cuda cores in my Titan via the VPR with native surfacing!....pretty please....
    I wouldn't call Octane "bolted on", it's pretty tightly integrated into Lightwave and I think even the LW devs would have a hard time matching the level of usability and ergonomics Juan has worked to provide. Context-sensitive node menus, light display properties right in the 3d viewport, render passes, interactive post-processing effects, and very frequent updates with new features that often speed up the workflow.

This isn't to say Octane is perfect... I just feel the integration is more than adequate and is improving noticeably with every build release.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Quote Originally Posted by chazriker View Post
    I wouldn't call Octane "bolted on", it's pretty tightly integrated into Lightwave and I think even the LW devs would have a hard time matching the level of usability and ergonomics Juan has worked to provide. Context-sensitive node menus, light display properties right in the 3d viewport, render passes, interactive post-processing effects, and very frequent updates with new features that often speed up the workflow.

This isn't to say Octane is perfect... I just feel the integration is more than adequate and is improving noticeably with every build release.
    Fair enough, I may be a bit too harsh, but to not be able to render with GPU via Octane ANY of Lightwaves native surfacing is to me not a solution. I might as well go over to a stand alone rendering app...Maxwell or similar.

I guess it's a two fold solution. Octane is a great render, I have played with it but not truly used it, certainly not in production. I'm sure there are quite a few hurdles if not complete road blocks to making a physically accurate renderer that would "work" with surfacing that is not aka, LW's native setups.

But it would be great to implement some sort of hybrid, that allows the GPU to do the calculations on the VPR rendering using LW's native surfacing.

Giving us the ability to use LW surfacing on our scenes if we choose but move into a complete physically accurate environment and use Octane surfacing.

BTW, there was no slam on Octane in my post. Think it's great. If somehow they chose to allow LW native surfacing render, they would be my hero! lol. Probably wont come from NewTek/LW3DG I bet...

Yep like LightWave Turbo ,, !

Remember that gpu unbiased rendering isn't fast.
    Its fast because you can easily stack gpus to render a single frame.

A single Titan(expensive) is not fast enough and not as useful as a typical single cpu where its useful for other stuff other than using for rendering.
    You need atleast two Titan class gpus to have good speed in rendering in octane for example.
    Getting rid of noise and hot pixels takes the most time for gpu rendering. It almost becomes as long as rendering in lightwave.
    Animations suffer greatly from hotpixels going all over the place from frame to frame even when hotpixel settings is turned down a lot. Noise is easier to clean in post but 1000 samples is minimum for octane to get a clean enough image. 1000 samples is not quick without multiple gpus.

Not available for Lightwave yet they are working on SDK to make it easier to integrate into other 3D apps but look at Redshift 3D, the fastest production ready GPU renderer period. I did a couple of projects with this and there is no way I can sit and wait for a CPU render anymore. Using modest hardware GTX 750 Ti I did a speed comparison rendering the same frame on the project I worked on using Arnold took 1 hour 15 minutes on a 6 core 12 threat CPU clocked at 4.2Ghz. Using Redshift on the 750Ti 5 minutes 20 seconds, and the noise levels were the same.

Below samples from their forum of a tank rendered with Arnold and Redshift.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tank_redshift_v10.jpg 
Views:	6614 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	124930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tank_sitoa_v08.jpg 
Views:	1272 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	124931
    Last edited by Albertdup; 10-11-2014 at 09:59 AM.
    MAC Pro 12 core OS X 10.9 ATI 7950 32GIG RAM & Nvidia GTX570

Nothing stopping people from using GPU and CPU rendering at the same time. I see a lot of potential there. I mean, most people have CPU and GPU in their systems, so why not use ALL of it while rendering whenever possible?
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 10-11-2014 at 10:11 AM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Albertup
    Not available for Lightwave yet they are working on SDK to make it easier to integrate into other 3D apps but look at Redshift 3D, the fastest production ready GPU renderer period. I did a couple of projects with this and there is no way I can sit and wait for a CPU render anymore. Using modest hardware GTX 750 Ti I did a speed comparison rendering the same frame on the project I worked on using Arnold took 1 hour 15 minutes on a 6 core 12 threat CPU clocked at 4.2Ghz. Using Redshift on the 750Ti 5 minutes 20 seconds, and the noise levels were the same.

Below samples from their forum of a tank rendered with Arnold and Redshift.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tank_redshift_v10.jpg 
Views:	6614 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	124930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tank_sitoa_v08.jpg 
Views:	1272 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	124931
    i like it... !!

edit: which is which here ?
    Last edited by erikals; 10-11-2014 at 10:42 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

My personal use would be for preview type renders...using VPR style UI engagment. Playing with lights, textures etc. Octane trial is extremly fast for my use with my Titan, but can't use native LW textures and lights. Do not want final render quality through GPU (yet) will push the scene to the farm and wait. But waiting on test renders or VPR to catch up with me is not working anymore in 2014 with all this power under my hood...lol. Just want more power captain!

- - - Updated - - -

oh and those saying titans are expensive...we'll when you compare to the top of the line Xeons and think of being able to add 6 or more Titans in one system, the price/value is way on the GPU side I think.

Thea Render GPU + CPU

Quote Originally Posted by chazriker View Post
    Nothing stopping people from using GPU and CPU rendering at the same time. I see a lot of potential there. I mean, most people have CPU and GPU in their systems, so why not use ALL of it while rendering whenever possible?
    Thea Render Presto does this. Works great. They're adding new capability constantly. Only thing missing for us is an integrated plugin. Time for another vote!
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Quote Originally Posted by Albertdup View Post
    Redshift 3D, the fastest production ready GPU renderer period.
    Is anyone developing a lightwave plugin?

Quote Originally Posted by tcoursey View Post
    oh and those saying titans are expensive...we'll when you compare to the top of the line Xeons and think of being able to add 6 or more Titans in one system, the price/value is way on the GPU side I think.
    That depends, a titan is only useful for rendering. A mid range desktop can be used by a number of artists as a workstation for a lot more different applications and as a render node at night. The render speed of a single titan and a mid range I7 is not far off depending on the scene.
    But the value you get from mid range desktops is always a plus when studios are budgetting for hardware.

that tank is unbelievably awesome looking, very high quality model.
    any info on the tank?

oh and ya gpu rendering in lw native.. whoo hoo (for when they finally do this)
    =)

paul, i watched that titan video - wow.. why isn't that stuff in lw yet in real time =)

it was basically turbulance in real time.. simply amazing.
    and the epic unreal engine 4 thing at the end was said to be playing in real time - that... is.... unreal!!

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    i like it... !!

yeah but practically it's indifferent because both looks insanely cool, imho the right one is the gpu render

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    Redshift on the left, SItoA on the right. (Look at the name of the image)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast