Thread: TriCaster 40 networking

TriCaster 40 networking

Hi, all —

As a new TC40 user (and, previously, a long-time TCPro user — how's that for old school?), I have some questions about networking with the newer TriCasters.

I learned many years ago that our TCPro did not work across VLANs when attempting to see iVGA computers. This was always a problem for us as we're a school and even single rooms like our auditorium (where I did a lot of recording) had multiple VLANs. My presenter would be patched into the network at the stage area, and our TriCaster would be patched in at the back of the balcony where my head-end was set up. Presenter would have a 192.168.218.x address, and I would have a 192.168.219.x address, and my TC would just not see his or her laptop. Everything is all on one in-house network, just being accessed via different regional wiring closets with their own IP range.
    I had hoped that the newer models would be more forgiving, but after attempting a setup last night, I'm not so sure.
    Does anyone know, definitively, if the TriCaster can access iVGA sources across bigger networks like this?

Let's get past that, for now, and assume that either it does, or I'm able to patch the TC40 into a VLAN with my designated iVGA source laptop. Are there any ports that need to be open on the network for iVGA to work? Is there anything special my networking guy has to turn on (or off) or stop blocking in order for iVGA to work?

I have a huge event coming up tomorrow night (10/1/14) and I would benefit greatly from being able to use iVGA. If I can't, I'll have to recreate a demo of a web page in post to create my cutaways from the main event. It's a very high-profile public Town Hall budget meeting wherein my school district superintendent will be demonstrating part of the District's website to the public. 10 mics, 3 cams, and a large-screen projected computer demo... and I really don't want to shoot the screen to capture the demo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

- Mike

iVGA requires that the system be on the same subnet, but the reason really has to do with the network.

Network routers block broadcasts from one network to another, it just the way they work. Some traffic is allowed to cross, but applications that are broadcasting out information isn't one of them.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

That's the first time anyone has been able to explain that to me... thanks!

- Mike

PS: We were able to get things to work. I think something may have been patched wrong in our wiring closet. We got properly patched, TC40 saw the network, and the laptop started sending its screen just fine via iVGA!

- M.
    Last edited by michof_d219; 09-30-2014 at 03:23 PM.