Thread: Problems transferring SE project files from old to new computer

Problems transferring SE project files from old to new computer

I have just purchased a new editing computer with Windows 7 64 bit still with my SE 1.5.5. I used a Seagate hard drive to transfer the files from my old Windows XP computer to my new machine. Video, photos my music transfer okay. My SE project files arrive empty. The folders are there and the file icons of my editing work are inside the folder but when you pull the icons to the Timeline they are "red".... empty.
    The project files have to reference the video etc on the hard drive and these files transferred fine. Is there something fundamental I am doing wrong? I notice that Microsoft has a program called Easy File transfer. This requires a cable to link the two computers. Is this something I should do.

All frustrations since my new computer arrived two weeks ago.

Perhaps if you use Project backup in the Tool Shed, on the old XP system, you would end up with each projects files in their own folders. From within these folders, once moved to the new computer, you will have less problems with SE locating files.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, this problem is fairly easy to fix once you understand what's happening to SE. The problem is with the drive letter of your new hard drive. To give you (and other readers who may not be familiar with this issue) an explanation of what's happening, when you created your projects on your old drive, it was saved in (let's say for the sake of argument) D:/SEprojects/. And when you installed or attached your new hard drive, Windows assigned the new drive with a drive letter of (let's say) F:/. Then when you copied the folder from the D:/ drive to the F:/ drive the new path for your projects became F:/SEprojects.

So now when you open the project from the F:/ drive into SE, it doesn't know where to locate the files because it still has the old path to the project written in the .VTD project file. This can be fixed one of two ways:

Option 1)
    Before you open the project, go to the menu bar at the top of the SE window and select 'Window>Preferences'. In the Preferences window look for the bold heading named 'FILES'. In the list under it there should be an option named 'Missing files search path', in the field to the right of it you'll have a button labelled '...', click it and a file explorer window will open for you to use to navigate to the drive (or drive and folders) you want SE to use to locate all projects. Now when you open the project, SE should use this path to find the files once it fails to locate them with the information saved in the .VTD project file.

Option 2)
    The Spreadsheet. This option is gives more control over the file locating process but is a bit more labour intensive. Once you've loaded the project and realise SE can't see the clips, you'll need to click the 'Spreadsheet' tab as located next to the 'Timeline' tab and you'll see a list of all the elements in the edit, broken up into columns and rows. Look for the columns headed, 'Video', 'Audio' and 'Drive'. In the video and audio columns you'll see checkboxes with some containing a tick and some not. The one's with just a tick in the video column and not the audio column mean that that clip has just a visual element but no audio element. The reverse is true for a tick in the audio column but not the video column. A tick in both columns means that that clip has both visual and audio elements applied to it.

This is significant because not all items in the list have video or audio ticks attached to them and what you need to do is focus on those elements that do, because in the 'Drive' column you'll be substituting the currently displayed drive letter for the new one for those particular clips that need changing.

Now go through each clip that needs changing by 'CTRL' clicking each clip's drive letter one at a time until all the required clips are selected. Now with the mouse pointer hovering over any one of the drive letters in the drive column, right-click and select 'Edit path' (I think it's called). Change the drive letter to the required drive letter and press 'Enter'. Now all the selected drive letters will change to the new drive letter at the same time and your clips and icons will have returned.

For both options save your project immediately after the changes have been made.

And that should solve the problem.

Let us know how you got on.

Shabazzy
    Last edited by Shabazzy; 09-26-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Thanks Donx looks like Project backup in the Tool Shed will do the job. The first test this a.m. worked. From a ex Canadian (used to live in Quesnel) I appreciate you taking the time to help out.

Thanks Shabazzy - your Option 2 using the Spreadsheet is working. I had initially tried the Missing files path in Preferences but had no success but I must have been doing something wrong. This is not the first time you have given very thorough explanations and advice on solving my issues as well as others. I
    would like to express my thanks and appreciation. You are a good teacher and I am learning.

One final report on my project file transfer. Yesterday I completed the transfer of all project files to my new computer. I am now ready to edit. Quite a relief. I used the Tool Shed Project Backup for some of the files so thanks to you Donx. For other files I used the option 2 of your thread Shabazzy thanks heaps for your advice and explanation. I had tried the Missing Files in preferences before I wrote my thread but I probably did not understand the file path well enough.
    All is well and I am much happier. Still have to solve the Firewire issue. Thanks you again.

Blog Entries
    No problem mate. Glad to be of service and it's always good that you ask these questions because it helps others in the same situation, so you're doing good work too.

That's why we're here on these forums, to help and support each other because unfortunately we have no life.