Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for making large ocean scene with LW + Octane

Tips for making large ocean scene with LW + Octane

Iīm having difficulties making a large ocean scene with LW + Octane. Anyone have done this earlier and would like to give some tips?
    Displacement and shading-wise.

Thanks,

I posted this problem to Octane-forums also:
    Iīm trying to make a sea scene. I want a displaced water and with LW crumple procedural because itīs the best procedural for this case. I got the displaced water working but there are some ugly seams. I donīt know why there are such. How to get rid of those?
    Anyone here have a solution?

- Builtdown

Is your ocean surface many instanced squares or just a big one ? If it's instanced you should enable world coordinates in the precedural's panel and seams will dissapear. I would also suggest you mix other procedurals with crumple, not necessarily displacement, they could be just bump, in order for your ocean to look less repetitive.
    Last edited by MG artist; 09-25-2014 at 05:50 AM.

this caused me so much headache too. Somehow - i couldn't manage to erase the seams caused by displacement node...no matter what i tried.

Never happened to me, I have no idea what else would cause that.

MG Artist, do you use Octane for Lightwave?

Tyrot, check out this : http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtop...42353&start=20

MG Artist, I used one big poly for the ocean. But I was taught that in Octane it is not possible to get rid of the seams.
    Then I thought that I would try your way : Instancing 1 smaller plane and setting a world coordinate procedural displament to those. Well, surprise surprise, no luck with that either.

I got the individual planes looking ok but when I turn the Displacement to World Coordinates it stops working alltogether.
    Iīm pretty disappointed to Lightwave and now Octane too. Such a simple task but with no luck...

How have you guys made huge ocean scenes with displaced water before?

Quote Originally Posted by Builtdown View Post
    ....I want a displaced water and with LW crumple procedural because itīs the best procedural for this case. I got the displaced water working but there are some ugly seams. I donīt know why there are such. How to get rid of those?
    Anyone here have a solution?....
    Hi,
    I donīt have Octane but I guess that your problem may come from the way Octane uses LWs procedurals. It rasterizes LWs procedurals at render time and so it is not infinite and at the edges of the map you get the seems. This doesnīt appear with LWs own renderer. So you have to use Octanes procedurals for this. As I said, that's my guess.

ciao
    Thomas
    Web: www.dieleinwandhelden.com

I use two pieces of the three-piece application with mocap module.

i finally rendered out a big - almost 4K - displacement image sequence.. and tried to get away with it.. of couse * we are talking about a "SEA" here there was some seams even with that resolution -

so i cheated a bit more- i put another big plane under the SEA PLANE - and tried to hide the seam area.. not perfect but nothing can be done further with current system..

Also earlier .. I was rendering LW SEA totally separately and combining with Octane render ...

in other case i was using -bump channel-

lots of workarounds.. for a simple displacement right...
    Last edited by tyrot; 09-25-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Thomas : Yeah, I know that Octane rasterises LW procedurals. That is what causes the seams. With Octane procedurals there is two problems: 1. No good wave procedural such Crumple 2. Octane procedurals donīt work with displacement.
    Tyrot : Combining Octane and LW renders is a hassle with getting same lightning etc. Bump channel is not good enough when camera is low. Other "sea plane" under the sea is a possible workaround but the seams would be visible anyways.

I made some new tests with HOT Ocean plugin and adjusting Octane procedural displament material. Both were better than earlier tests but finally I got good enough results with Octane displacement. See below:

Both rendered at same speed with Octane. Around 1 minute per picture.

So Iīm happy that I can stick with Octane within this project!

- Builtdown

it looks great! Is that 4 K resolution?

I love the sunset over Crumple bay!

Thanks,

Texture Image is 4k and Octane Displacement is 8k.

Quote Originally Posted by Builtdown View Post
    MG Artist, do you use Octane for Lightwave?

Tyrot, check out this : http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtop...42353&start=20
    I'm not using Octane, I couldn't imagine Octane caused the seams. By the way, your images look great !

One more render:

Now Iīm satisfied with the result.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast