Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Product News: NewTek Talkshow

Product News: NewTek Talkshow

So ... this is new, announced at IBC: http://www.newtek.com/products/talkshow

More here (and elsewhere all over the web today): http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....vent-Producers
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Wish they would tell us the cost of new products with out having to call and getting a quote.
    Common Gear Used:
    TriCaster: 40, 460, TC 1
    Time Warp TW42
    Cameras: Sony PXWX70, Newtek PTZ / HX
    Cable Solution:Coax HD_SDI & IP
    Newtek Spark HDMI
    Teradek Cube 105
    Chevy City Express Van

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    US MSRP introductory price is $3995
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Quote Originally Posted by TPUC View Post
    Wish they would tell us the cost of new products with out having to call and getting a quote.
    It's in the press release linked from Chuck's announcement post. We're very pleased to have been selected to build this line among a very small number of hand-picked firms drawn from around the world.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Teradek posted quite a good interview with NewTek's Phillip Nelson that discusses TalkShow on Vimeo. It's an engaging conversation, with some neat TriCaster anecdotes as well - highly recommended viewing: http://vimeo.com/105963769
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

I've been playing with this thing a bit today, and am really quite impressed with the SDI video output quality from the SkypeTX box. Latency, framerate and image quality are much better than I've seen previously (a good framerate makes all the difference imho).

Just for interest's sake, here's a screengrab with the B source coming in over SDI from the box. The source is a cheap webcam (640x480) ... looking forward to trying a better one.

Attachment 124287
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skype_tx.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	362.5 KB 
ID:	124452  
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

I had a project a few months ago where we had an employee appear as a guest on a weekly web program that uses a TriCaster. They required that we connect with them via Skype but we also wanted to switch cameras on our end so we used our TriCaster. We used Kane's white paper to help us connect to Skype but had some serious echo with our audio (after much troubleshooting the problem was with the PC providing the Skype connection).

Could we use Talkshow at our remote location to connect with a studio requiring Skype?

At NAB last spring I spoke with the Microsoft Skype folks just a few booths down from NewTek and they were promising a similar type of appliance. I'm very excited to see NewTek offering their version!
    Mark Keisling
    Mountain Steam Media
    Monument, CO

Tricaster 460 with LC11 and TW42
    Panasonic AG-AC160 Cameras over SDI
    iKan 7" Camera Monitors with Tally
    Audiocom Intercom
    HyperDeck Studio

Quote Originally Posted by speaker2a View Post
    ... but had some serious echo with our audio (after much troubleshooting the problem was with the PC providing the Skype connection).
    With or without TalkShow, what you need to set up for the Skype return is what is known as a 'mix-minus' - that is, the audio you send back to the remote interviewee by Skype is the program audio minus his contribution to it when he is on the air. You typically set this up on the TriCaster's Aux audio output using the routing options. Having done that, it should be good.

Could we use Talkshow at our remote location to connect with a studio requiring Skype?
    You could conceivably use two Talkshow units in a case like that. Ordinarily you only need one, at the 'switcher end' of the pipeline - but I can see many settings (including corporate) where both ends of the chain would be running mixers.

At NAB last spring I spoke with the Microsoft Skype folks just a few booths down from NewTek and they were promising a similar type of appliance. I'm very excited to see NewTek offering their version!
    This is the MicroSoft solution. They decided to partner with selected manufacturers to produce their SkypeTX solution. See https://media.skype.com/skype-tx/whats-new/
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

We used Kane's white paper to help us connect to Skype but had some serious echo with our audio (after much troubleshooting the problem was with the PC providing the Skype connection).
    I just want to add, that while my white paper (which as far as I know still works), it is a hack. TalkShow is by far a better and easier solution to use. There is also the possibility that my 'hack' solution might stop working at some point. Microsoft has (and is) making changes and improvements to the Skype API that could break the method described in my white paper.

In short, if you are depending on Skype in your workflows, you really should look at TalkShow.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Will this allow multiple callers coming in via the software on Skype and then you are just selecting who to put up on air?
    & WPS ROCKS!!!

Each TalkShow unit handles a single Skype connection. There is a software application that allows you to control multiple TalkShow units from a central interface. If you wanted multiple callers you can pipe each TalkShow unit into your TriCaster (or other switcher [gasp!]) via SDI or NET inputs and then use an M/E to put them together on screen.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

nice ... no idea what it does but congrats

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    nice ... no idea what it does but congrats
    Thanks, it's pretty exciting. Here's some info on the general topic: https://media.skype.com/skype-tx/whats-new/
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

It does sound cool. But Newtek should eventually add the encrypted Mega video conferencing browser app support as well - that way they can talk to the really cool people hiding in foreign countries and South American embassies too...

Thanks Steve and Kane!!!! Kudos I can't wait to get one. Wish someone would have picked us for a beta tester....
    & WPS ROCKS!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast