Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Five Free light probes

I'd go and tweak the website gallery so that when you click the thumbnails, it will open in a new window or open up in a floating-box without leaving the illuminated tools site (via lightbox or something like that)

Quote Originally Posted by wellsichris View Post
    ... also if anyone makes a cool image, that I could use in gallery let me know
    Here's my test from last night. Loving those shadows ! ... because of your work on the sun I imagine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adk.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	577.9 KB 
ID:	124475  

Quote Originally Posted by adk View Post
    Here's my test from last night. Loving those shadows ! ... because of your work on the sun I imagine
    What are you doing to get shadow casts from these images?

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    just make sure you have additional light, dp_sunlight and match it to the photo´s brightest part or where the sun is supposed to be, dome light works to with a low angle...or use the images with Sibl system.

So your conclusion that the image is casting the shadows are most likely the wrong assumption.

Thanks Chris, these look great - very reasonable pricing.
    Matt Knott / VERSUS
    http://www.versus.nu

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    just make sure you have additional light, dp_sunlight and match it to the photo´s brightest part or where the sun is supposed to be, dome light works to with a low angle...or use the images with Sibl system.
    So your conclusion that the image is casting the shadows are most likely the wrong assumption.
    I'm no expert on this so I guess you'd be right in assuming that as it's hard to get nice shadows cast with probes. The problem being the brightness of the sun is usually clipped.

All the lighting is from the probe in this case, including the shadows. Chris mentions on the website that in certain images they add a sun of appropriate brightness and color post capture. That's the probe I tested.
    Here's a quick LW render, not a one to one match and all over the place in terms of materials, but those same shadows are there as well.

Nothing special really - sorry to disappoint DJ.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	124487  

Quote Originally Posted by adk View Post
    I'm no expert on this so I guess you'd be right in assuming that as it's hard to get nice shadows cast with probes. The problem being the brightness of the sun is usually clipped.

All the lighting is from the probe in this case, including the shadows. Chris mentions on the website that in certain images they add a sun of appropriate brightness and color post capture. That's the probe I tested.
    Here's a quick LW render, not a one to one match and all over the place in terms of materials, but those same shadows are there as well.

Nothing special really - sorry to disappoint DJ.
    Uhh..so I guess I was wrong in this case at least, need to check that hdr image.

I did a tutorial showing how to use IBL in lightwave, using native renderer, octane, maxwell, and arnold,

hope it helps, but yes there are not lights, in the scene, all the illumination comes form the probes,

http://youtu.be/j0LHp3EHRN0

p.s. sorry for the super low level audio, I don't have a great mic for this.
    Last edited by wellsichris; 09-25-2014 at 03:17 PM.
    illuminatedtools.com My great light probe Library.

Thanks for the clarification. I'd get nothing done if I had 4 renderers to choose from! I'm guessing GI is on for these?

Okay I need clarification, you're getting cast shadows because you used SIBL to set up the lighting (which calculates where to put a light for shadows)? Because as far as I know LW does not calculate shadows just with image based lighting and no lights in the scene.

Played a bit more with the test setup.
    Here are the results:

Okay I need clarification, you're getting cast shadows because you used SIBL to set up the lighting (which calculates where to put a light for shadows)? Because as far as I know LW does not calculate shadows just with image based lighting and no lights in the scene.
    You can light a scene with just a light probe using GI, no lights, no SIBL, and if that light probe has lights, that have all the dynamic range, which mine do, you will get sharp shadows, the problem with native lightwave is it will take a long time to clean up the GI, if you turn on blur background, it will be faster to clean up the noise but will also blur the light sources which means no more sharp shadows. this is because lightwave doesn't have an importance sampling setting, Chuck stated a while ago it was something they are working on, but no eta, other render engines, like octane do have importance sampling, essentially telling the GI engine to put more rays to the lights, which will give you sharp shadows from the light probe really fast, this is a big deal if there are bright lights, if you have a CSP in the probe name that means it has the sun, which will take a long time to clean up the noise without importance sampling, but will in fact give you sharp shadows from the GI,

in the tutorial I did, you can see there is subtle soft shadows, that's because that probe doesn't have bright small lights, but big soft light sources in it. which is ideal for the native lightwave renderer, if I switch to one with a sun, well then maxwell and octane will give sharp shadows, but lw will give a lot of noise, arnold in theory has importance sampling I just don't know it well enough to know how to set it up. octane and maxwell it just works and is on by default.

that's probably more than you are asking, in summary, yes, lightwave can give you sharp shadows from GI with no actual lights, it just will take a while. that's why SIBL was created. and once importance sampling is implemented like in other render engines, it will be very much swap out light probe and you'll be good to go, no setup, like it is in octane for example. which is great.

Thanks for that detailed explanation, this fills me in a bit on how to think when using IBL in LW and is very helpful.

Hey guys, here is another video, showing the benefits of Image based lighting, trying to clear up some information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdfT...ature=youtu.be

I posted this as a new thread because I didn't want it buried in this one, but if some of you are subscribed to this thread you might not see the other, so I have changed out the five free probes, so there are 5 new probes and I'm doing a Holiday special until the end of Nov, 50% off everything, including the bundle, coupon code is: thanksies

I also added 11 new probes, so total is 322 probes and with the discount it's 147.50 for all of them,

Enjoy!
    Chris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast