Thread: Can't capture video from my Canon H1 via Firewire 800 to my computer with Window 7

Can't capture video from my Canon H1 via Firewire 800 to my computer with Window 7

I took delivery of a new computer with Windows 7 and installed my SE 1.5.5. I had high hopes for some efficient editing but no way. I cannot capture video from my Canon H1 camcorder. Checking on the internet there were lots of posts with similar problems. One suggestion was to go into Device Manager and change the IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers to Legacy. This did not work for me. I can operate the stop/go controls from the SE software but get no video or audio. My Firewire 800 card is "Sonet USB3 & Firewire 800 PCIe". I was told by the people that sold me the computer that Firewire 800 would be backwards compatible. I did see that the SiiG Firewire 800 Express Card did solve a few problems. Can anyone make any recommendations?

Blog Entries
    Assuming the system is still under warranty I'd do one of two things.

1) Try it with SE 2.x and see if the same problem occurs.
    2) If you really must stck to SE1.5.5, take it back to where it was bought from and have them find a card that works with it (I'm thinking maybe the Tango 800 PCIe or the Tango PCIe).

Thanks Shabazzy for your suggestions. I have emailed Newtek support asking about the issue. They have yet to correspond. If I thought SE 2 would do the trick I would definitely go for it. I will go back to Newtek and ask. I also tried Canon support. Their response was not much help. When I searched the internet for this problem there were many posts. None mentioned SpeedEdit as their software but quite often Adobe. Most were saying Windows 7 was the problem.
    I was hoping that someone using the forum would have had similar problems. On a different topic can SE 2 handle AVCHD files with no problem?

Blog Entries
    Hi John,

Yeah, I guess it's one of those situations where you either want to take the path of least resistance or not, i.e., get the people you bought it from to sort the problem out or figure it out yourself. Personally, I'd go for the easier option.

Regarding AVCHD files, I've used AVCHD files from Panasonic camcorders with no problems at all with SE 1.x through 2.x, so I'd say there's little chance of there being any problems.

I've also used AVCHD files from my Sony EA50 camcorder in SE without any problems.

Thanks for the responses. I emailed Newtek re the Firewire problem asking about SE 2.0 being a solution.
    I could not run AVCHD files on my SE 1.5.
    I had to use Handbrake first and then they would run fine. I ask this because I may be the owner of the Sony FS 700 tomorrow!
    I am sure you will note my new thread and another problem that I have with my new computer.

I installed SE2.6 on the weekend. Still unable to have my Canon camcorder recognised by SE. Firewire 800 does not appear to be backward compatible for my camera. Canon suggested a Firewire Hub or recorder to be used as an intermediary. Can anyone comment on this suggestion?
    I agree SE 2 handles AVCHD files from my recently purchased Sony FS 700 very well.

I can now capture video from my Canon H1 camcorder via Firewire 800 to my Windows 7 computer. Yesterday, I discovered by pressing very firmly the Firewire cable into the camera plug I could get things to work. As soon as I take my hand away the capture would stop. I can assume that my new Firewire 800 cable is faulty as I have no trouble capturing with my Firewire 400 cable to my old Windows XP computer. A late discovery to this problem but a solution nevertheless.

Blog Entries
    Great news.

Glad to hear the updates and that you've upgraded to 2.6, got your AVCHDs working, found the problem with the firewire issue.

You reminded me that this was/is an issue with firewire from waaaaaaaaay back. I've never really used firewire much but on the occasion that I did, I remember doing a lot of research on how to capture with it and read soooooo many people saying they had problems with the camera not being seen and people telling them to check the connection, try a different cable, make sure the card has the latest drivers, etc.

But it's been such a long time since then that I'd forgotten about those checks. Thanks for the reminder.

When I worked at a reseller and we built Avid Xpress DV and FCP systems that were firewire based, it was never ending issues. "My camera doesn't appear, it just stops capturing, deck control doesn't work, I can't print back to tape."

I think I still have nightmares about it.

Sometimes I wish that firewire was never created...
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I too was never happy with firewire. I sent my SD footage from my DVX 100 into VT5 via the analog inputs on the SX84 - a system still in place in case I need to use it in the future. I send HD footage from my Sony EA 50 on to the computer's hard drive or raid assembly directly from the camera's card via a USB connection. Every bit of information is transferred and it works everytime. No problem editing AVCHD files in SE v.2.6. Out of curiosity I opened SE v.1.5 and found that AVCHD files can be edited in full HD in that version as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dweinkauf View Post
    ....Out of curiosity I opened SE v.1.5 and found that AVCHD files can be edited in full HD in that version as well.
    Indeed. I've found this to be the case also. But again, I've only used Panasonic's variation of it.

The AVCHD files I import and edit are from my Sony Nexcam EA50 camcorder.