Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Another slam on Lightwave...

His analyses are limited.

One, he has ignored form z that has just released a very strong form z 8.

Two, his cost analysis is simplistic. When I bought lightwave I could have bought Modo for 700 dollars less. I bought Lightwave because the upgrade policy saves me money in the long run - if I skip Lightwave 12 then I am not stranded. He also has to avoid US-centric analysis. Maya etc cost 6000 bucks here - it's called the Australia tax.

Three, you could say that any software is on its last legs. Quark Xpress was once a giant in graphics design software. Look at Softimage. Who knows what will come and go? Blender could lose funding and vanish. Nobody knows.

Quote Originally Posted by ncr100 View Post
    Uh, that blog post does not severely criticize the LW product. Did the article change in that way recently?
    My thoughts exactly. I read it and was like, "Um is that just the intro, where's the rest? I'm not seeing anything I would call a 'slam'." It was really thin on content and really didn't say much about anything, LW or otherwise.
    -Joshua Jorgensen

Quote Originally Posted by dickbill View Post
    I don't know but LW got pretty good reviews from the pro-users who made Iron Sky, Battlestar Gallactica...
    Who cares about the pro users! This is a purely religious app-war

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    Well my opinion is the rep LightWave has is deserved. It is what it is. All the things wrong with it we already know. Or should know. If not it is easy enough to investigate well enough to find out what LIghtWave is missing.

But is this not all pretty much a given? Have we not already explored all these things?

There is nowhere else to go from here than up. And it seems like the same people who are still in disagreement that core was canceled, are the people that seem to want to continually make the case that this was a mistake and point to the many reasons - internally and externally - that LightWave is going down in flames.

Unfortunately that does little to help the situation. I don't think anyway. I don't think it is productive.

The road up is going to be long and hard. There is a lot of ground to cover. If you are in desperate need for the things LightWave is missing the answer is not to come here and continually badger and carp.

The answer is to get along with it. If Maya does not work for you there is Blender. Both historically have proven to work well within a LightWave pipeline. Depending on your needs it might be C4D or Houdini. Another cheap alternative might be Messiah.

Unfortunately these are the only options.

If you will notice, mostly people who are objective about this also use other software - successfully - in their pipeline. We (as a group) still come here, still post our opinions, are still around, still would like to see changes to that once beloved software.

If you are feeling caged in by LightWave, my advice is to simply get on with it in some way. And add other tools to your pipeline. Get to the point you can feel more objective about it. Where you have the tools and workflow you feel you are missing.

It is going to potentially be a long ride.

And like it or not, LW3D group is in charge, they are calling the shots based on what they think is the best solution.

I have every bit of confidence that they will pull something off very cool as of LW 12. What that will be is anyone's guess.

But it will be better, it will be moving more in the right direction. And I think that is about all you can expect.
    Good and objective post. I have the exact same feelings. Having LW 11.x as one of many rendering solution is great in a mixed Max/Maya/Modo/LW pipeline. Some time ago I used LW to prototype a rig for a quadroped, mostly in terms of functionality and ideas from the animators (reason for this was pure itterationtime). Once that was kind of nailed, I moved everything over to Maya and built the final rig there with another feedback from animators regarding some additional controlls and whishes for what they wanted to do.

So yeah... knowing several apps is very beneficial, and no-one had anything negative to say about the fact that I prototyped in LW; on the contrary... I prototyped _fast_. Getting the general ideas down in 5-10 minute itterations.

LW will allways be a tool that I will upgrade and have a personal license for as long as I see innovation going on. I certanly am a fan of the product, but I am not affraid of adding other tools to my toolbox to use in conjuction with LW. It just adds to the creative juices, and you can make more educated choices on how to best use any given software depending on what is needed to be done.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    i could write a review like that..if i was a *no*head

first..research your facts if your going to do create a comparison page...cinema 4d $2000?...guess again...he has no flippin idea.

i'll go in reverse order...

make human - what?....someone open this *** eyes and sit him in front of make human and ask him to model something.
    3d coat: "i have no idea"...yeh...so why make this page?
    zbrush...he has no clue...at all.
    mudbox...wrong..."pure sculpting modeler"...so you never even visited the webpage or a youtube clip for mudbox..err hum..."painting"...i rest my case.

sculptris..."if you want some strange organic forms"...you can use this in a pinch....WHAT...?

3dsmax - legacy software...??\

maya - he tried but failed to learn it...

so....houdini?
    so...maya LT?
    so...softimage?
    so..messiah animate?
    so bryce?
    so terragen..?
    so...carrara?
    so hexagon?
    so...wings 3d?
    .so silo 3d
    animation master
    truspace
    milkshape 3d
    so...many missing

you know what...this guy is a nutter...i'm outta here before i find out it's catching!

So, this guy did a 3d app run down but couldn't be arsed to actually find out much if anything about them...
    What's the point of it?....ohh...yeh...to say how wonderful his choice was and how he considered everything else...for like a blink of an eye...Modo then!

bottomline he's a Modo user trying to justify his purchase...sad chap that he is.
    Last edited by cresshead; 09-15-2014 at 05:13 PM.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

To be fair he states that this is his "thoughts and impressions" on software so why one would expect anything else is beyond me......
    Last edited by Wickedpup; 09-15-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedpup View Post
    To be fair he states that this is his "thoughts and impressions" on software so why one would expect anything else is beyond me......
    The 'impressions" are flawed as he's spent no time on even the basics...such as price, fundamental features etc.
    it's actually a non helpful article based on lazy research.

and not to forget the title he gave his article

"How to Choose the best 3D Software for You"

.... I find it hard to be "okay" with his "findings" seeing as he hardly looked.
    Last edited by cresshead; 09-15-2014 at 06:40 PM.
    stee+cat

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

If you think the title implies that he (through the article) should find a 3D sofware for you, then we probably should just end it here, and agree to disagree....

but but but...this is the interweb we HAVE to argue!
    stee+cat

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

no... we don't...

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

lightwave 3d group needs to partner up with lynda.com or digital tutors to create how to video tutorials. lightwave is lacking in the video tutorials market.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by octopus2000 View Post
    lightwave 3d group needs to partner up with lynda.com or digital tutors to create how to video tutorials. lightwave is lacking in the video tutorials market.
    So, Liberty3d.com is chopped liver? (It's not: I've valued every purchase made there.)

lynda.com and DT might be the 900lb gorillas, but we do have teaching resources. Wouldn't hurt to spread the word about them.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 09-16-2014 at 10:59 PM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

actually WE DO NEED MORE VIDEO TRAINING MATERIALS!

DODGY, MR. RID .. and many other can produce more like - FILM/VFX video tutorials.

shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    So, Liberty3d.com is chopped liver? (It's not: I've valued every purchase made there.)

lynda.com and DT might be the 900lb gorillas, but we do have teaching resources. Wouldn't hurt to spread the word about them.
    unless you're a LW user yourself, chances are you haven't heard of liberty3d or simplylightwave. some effort must be made to reach out to outsiders. blender is free software but blender tutorials are abundant compared to lightwave. lynda.com, digital tutors or cmivfx are the heavy hitters when it comes to tutorials. when people search for training videos they look at those sites, newtek should provide training material for those sites.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast