Thread: Add Roughness to Shadow Catcher

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar

Add Roughness to Shadow Catcher

So, I've been playing around with camera tracking and compositing with an old version of PFtrack and LW.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 15.34.54.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	995.6 KB 
ID:	124121

I've managed to get a good track, exported it to LW, and used the old Null to Points script to make a suitably deformed shadow capture object to match the flow of the terrain. You can see the nodal setup I used to get the shadow colour correct, using a front projected, colour corrected, image sequence, and that's all pretty good to be going on with, (yes, I know the model needs more work on surfacing! ).

Currently, the scene is lit with a dome light set to 1º, to soften the shadow up a bit, but I would like to simulate the roughness of the grass a little better, just to break the shadow up a little more. Turning up the Roughness in the SC node does sweet FA, so short of cranking up the subpatch level of the shadow catcher poly's, and adding a textured displacement, is there anything I can do to make things look better?

cheers
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
    So, I've been playing around with camera tracking and compositing with an old version of PFtrack and LW.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 15.34.54.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	995.6 KB 
ID:	124121

I've managed to get a good track, exported it to LW, and used the old Null to Points script to make a suitably deformed shadow capture object to match the flow of the terrain. You can see the nodal setup I used to get the shadow colour correct, using a front projected, colour corrected, image sequence, and that's all pretty good to be going on with, (yes, I know the model needs more work on surfacing! ).

Currently, the scene is lit with a dome light set to 1º, to soften the shadow up a bit, but I would like to simulate the roughness of the grass a little better, just to break the shadow up a little more. Turning up the Roughness in the SC node does sweet FA, so short of cranking up the subpatch level of the shadow catcher poly's, and adding a textured displacement, is there anything I can do to make things look better?

cheers
    Could you do something like this?? I went drastic so you see the effect.. The image is front projected for the mapping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShadowCatcherBreakup.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	555.8 KB 
ID:	124147  
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates - "I Drank What??"

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    Yes, that sort of works, though I think I'd add a reverse falloff so only the edges are affected. However, I tried with the displacement, but once I'd added a little motion blur and AA the result was barely noticeable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 00.13.12.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	124158  
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials