Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave clouds top quality

Lightwave clouds top quality

First time I saw lightwave clouds of this quality from baked hyervoxels.
    I've seen the hv clouds in the forum but this beats all of them including mine.
    The resolution looks high and the lighting is gorgeous.

Wish newtek had more training and presets for lw 11.

Yep, noticed that yesterday, it's very good. The author has promised a tutorial. Can't wait for it !

I really donīt think the quality is good enough, sure it is baked..but it looses detail quality and volume and shadow depth quality.
    Itīs a very good sample based on baked hypervoxels though..I myself havenīt messed with it since the lack of quality before..
    not sure it will survive animated process either.

lighting and shading is good ..if everyone just learn to use dp_sunsky sunlight ..it isnīt that hard to set up, sunsky together with hypervoxels light and shading can be very naturalistic and beautiful, and the only thing really needed for the atmospherics to match vue atmospherics, that is a true volumetric layer for fog and volumetric godray lights, that is for the sky atmospherics.
    hv particle and voxels or infinite volumetric cloud layers will need to be implemented a little more in order to get it to another level.

I do just point out critics about the baked quality, the rest is nicely done, maybe I think he could have worked more on the cloud shapes/cloud density distribution and itīs procedurals...but itīs well done considering.

They are great at a distance but the volume looses it as you get closer. It is however the best attempt i have seen for clouds in HV yet.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    They are great at a distance but the volume looses it as you get closer. It is however the best attempt i have seen for clouds in HV yet.
    yepp...I also donīt think it is usable for animated clouds, thus timelapse or moving clouds or fluctuation changes in clouds canīt be made with baking hypervoxels unfortunatly.
    I agree with Ahk salīs request for higher voxel baking 400x400x400 is the highest level as of today, I think it was not long ago they actually raised that, but I think it needs a bit more maybe 2000x2000x2000 would be enough? then it would of course
    gather a large gigabite file on the disc for it, and it would also be cool if animation could be included, but then again..how large wouldnīt such a file be?

I donīt think Ahk sal used the local density gradient on the dissolve channel, if he would have..I think the clouds could have looked smoother, but maybe he didnīt want that or it got lost in the baking..I just tested and if done right
    the cloud edges can be more softer even when baked.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMarlowe View Post
    Yep, noticed that yesterday, it's very good. The author has promised a tutorial. Can't wait for it !
    thereīs really nothing to wait for in terms of tutorial of the baking process, just bake to the highest resolution you can and then use baked object.
    the rest is mostly a process of tweaking the voxels for clouds a lot.

If one checks the baked mov files, open in after effecs, you can see that if you have a velocity translate hypervoxel effect to make it fluctate, the animation is baked to the mov file, itīs just that replaying of it doesnīt
    take that in to account as I know of and thereīs no option to acheive that.

checking the baking a little more, the quality might be somewhat acceptable, not for top level work maybe...depends.
    Anyway..what I discovered, using rayleigh in the illumination method seem to bring better detail once the voxels are baked, compared to beer illumination which is softer.

I also noticed that it doesnīt bake in sunsky with sunlight in to the baked model, thus it turns up more white and bright and not as you see it with more naturalistic relation to how the sun is positioned in the sky...not sure if I can correct that, so
    that part isnīt good.

except for the voxels not being animatable themself, cloning or instance cloning baked voxels and move around or fly through is extremly fast with just some seconds in rendertime, and it doesnīt matter how close you
    get to the baked voxels.

I reckon baking out some different voxel tweakings with position changes and some more tweakings, and reloading those different bakins on to particles or nulls and you can acheive a blending mix that looks more naturalistic
    than just use one baked voxel type.

PLEASE...check vpr render times at the bottom status bar, compare non baked with baked voxels.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	non baked.jpg 
Views:	1853 
Size:	600.3 KB 
ID:	124111   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baked.jpg 
Views:	1852 
Size:	611.6 KB 
ID:	124112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baked and cloned.jpg 
Views:	1946 
Size:	523.7 KB 
ID:	124113  

Just a quick note to say it's 'loses' quality etc, not 'looses'... grrr. Carry on.
    Forum Tips
    If English is your first language, you should know it's 'losing' and not 'loosing'!

Quote Originally Posted by cagey5 View Post
    Just a quick note to say it's 'loses' quality etc, not 'looses'... grrr. Carry on.
    could be temporary dyslexia, could be my laptop not responding fast enough when I type or accidently add two ooīs..could be sloppyness too.
    English is my second language, I am excused.

i would've said looses too...

always wondered how HV's mixed with Turbulence Fluids could work... ain't got time for testing, yet.

what u think Prometheus ?
    Last edited by erikals; 09-09-2014 at 03:29 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

can't you mix a HV hero cloud that moves independently of the baked clouds or would they be mutually exclusive?
    separate of the HV bake

you could render some hero clouds and comp them in afterwards, best of both worlds through compositing.

awesome work, the dragon animation is very good, and i like the sunset lighting

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    It is however the best attempt i have seen for clouds in HV yet.
    Yep the best one done with lightwave hv.

tested, and got some strange render times...

i noticed this >

VPR lies a bit,
    when rendering a baked object VPR would finish at say, 20 seconds
    when rendering a regular object VPR would finish at say, 50 seconds

however, the VPR preview turned out to actually be finished way before,
    at 15 seconds or so...

so instead of going the "save preview" route, an idea can actually be to use a
    (don't laugh) printscreen app that takes a printscreen every say 15 seconds

but i was also a bit surprised with the F9 renders,
    sometimes they would be a bit slow, sometimes fast, maybe i missed something... :l

in the last VPR vs F9 i did, F9 was "only" twice as slow
    (unless you use "printscreen" for VPR, then VPR "save preview" is actually about the same speed as F9)
    (so a printscreen automation would be better)

i had to use regular VPR though, not Draft, as Draft VPR renders polygons of low quality
    if there are no polys in the background (or you composite) you could use Draft
    (probably saves you another 50% rendertime...)

edit: it might be that regular VPR renders jagged edges too, more testing needed...

----------------------------

subnote,
    an interesting thing with the baked voxels though, is that they have more of a glow,
    this is because the voxels are actually converted to sprites,
    which gives a nice subsurface-scattering-like look...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	draft render problem.png 
Views:	251 
Size:	278.1 KB 
ID:	124115  
    Last edited by erikals; 09-10-2014 at 12:48 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

so instead of going the "save preview" route, an idea can actually be to use a
    (don't laugh) printscreen app that takes a printscreen every say 15 seconds
    Where would you use thee screengrab?
    You can save vpr animation previews but has no alpha channel.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast