Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fix non planar polys

Fix non planar polys

I'm looking for a way to do this:
    I have a vine made in Ivy generator. The leaves are all 2 tri polys. I'd like them to be one planer quad. If I merge the tri's they all become non-planar quads with normals facing all different directions. Is there a LW tool or plug that might scale each poly, all at once, along their normal. Or a tool that would scale each 2 poly island along whatever the normal would be when considering the two tri's each have normals that are different. The easiest way of course would be if the Ivy generator would export quads but I see no way to do that. Any ideas?

If you have latest version of LW there are the tools for this.

In older versions there is Translate Plus.

http://www.timaxmedia.com/html/help/..._Plus_Tool.htm

Looks like Translate Plus will do this one poly at a time. Tedious. I have LW 11.6.3, what new tools are you referring to?

In LIghtWave I am not aware of anything that will allow you to do this on multiple polys at one time. Maybe there is a plugin or something I am not aware of. What you are looking for is something that will allow you to scale locally and with individual origins.

Screengrab from Blender

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	indvOrigins.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	231.7 KB 
ID:	124090

Setting is origin to "individual origins" and transform orientation to "local" which basically in this case is the normal direction. Indiidual origins allows you to scale individually similar to the bevel tool on multiple polys.

Can you do this with the new modeling tools in LightWave?

I don't know as I have not used them much.

At least this is what you need if that helps at all.

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    To get quad polys from Ivy Generator tripled poly groups, try this:

1. Use the plugin MergeTrigonsX to turn them all into Non-planar polys.
    2. Select all the non-planar polys and use Flatten. selecting 'normal axis - n' from the menu

Regards,
    Ricky.
    Last edited by Waves of light; 09-08-2014 at 06:03 AM.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Now we know how to do it. The question is: "Why?" I've never seen a completely flat leaf. Vegetation models are usually some level of fake looking as it is; although there are some really good ones. Ensuring that the leaves are farther away from how they normally look is one step farther away from reality; unless that is your goal. IOW, if it's a NPR project, then I get it. Just curious. BTW, I am so glad that there is a native way to get rid of non-planars. If I had a buck for every minute I have spent manually fixing them, I could probably stop working now.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    ::seinfeld mode:: "Flatten!" grmblgrmbl

SOooooo many tools. IF LW had one of those "TIP OF THE DAY" features I would definitely leave it ON.

+++++

OK, when was "Flatten" added? It's not in the LWM10 PDF nor the LW11.6Addendum.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 09-08-2014 at 05:16 PM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Its been around for quite a while. I actually forgot about it. before v9 at least AFAIK.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    Its been around for quite a while. I actually forgot about it. before v9 at least AFAIK.
    Maddening.

If ONLY there were a WAY to get it into the dox in a timely fashion.... and all the other omissions we find.... too bad it's just IMPOSSIBLE. No one could hope to suggest a way to address THAT absolutely insolvable problem. Never. Not ever.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 09-08-2014 at 06:21 PM.

It should be in the standard manual - I would think.... maybe this was added in the 9x cycle?, really I forget....but, certainly wrong that they use the addendum method.... this is the worst way to do it. really poor. One online source, all updated with each update, is the best way.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    It should be in the standard manual - I would think.... maybe this was added in the 9x cycle?, really I forget....but, certainly wrong that they use the addendum method.... this is the worst way to do it. really poor. One online source, all updated with each update, is the best way.
    1. Well, I checked the LW10 manual, which is supposed to be complete up to 10, so it SHOULD include 'Flatten'-- and it does not;
    2. Using PDF Advanced Search, I generally search ALL the PDFs in that folder, because who knows which of the 4 'standard' ones it's gonna be in? (LWM, LW, Surf& Rnder, Addendum);
    3. I disagree about "updated with each update"-- that is PATENTLY inadequate, because:
      1. there will always be full-on Errata and Omissions in documentation--enough that 'Errata & Omissions' is 'a thing', and;
      2. just 'cuz there's an explanation included, doesn't mean it's a good, or even an adequate explanation, and better ones should be accommodated.
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Quote Originally Posted by Waves of light View Post
    To get quad polys from Ivy Generator tripled poly groups, try this:

1. Use the plugin MergeTrigonsX to turn them all into Non-planar polys.
    2. Select all the non-planar polys and use Flatten. selecting 'normal axis - n' from the menu

Regards,
    Ricky.
    Great tools mentioned guys. This is what I was after -MergeTrigonsX then Flatten. I had an old version when it was untriple and that hosed all the UV's. Flatten! I remember running across that before but didn't know what it did. Works perfect to on those non-planar polys.

I needed to add some flowers to a vine and one quad beveled into five was the perfect shape. I could have placed them by hand, but I knew there must be a better way, based on a model I ran across that used Ivy generator and had all Quad polys.

Flatten has always been in the Details tab, under the Polygon menu since v9 - however, it does not appear in the manuals nor in the html help pages. And searching for it in the html pages does not return anything useful. So I can only assume it was missed.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

adding missing subjects immediately, for the education of others

That it was missed is obvious.

That it could be added, TODAY, if there were a better documentation system, is also obvious.

Then this thread would have helped many users, instead of the few that will find it here.

I'm hoping that, with the release of LW12, Ben will have been tasked to do a new, up to date version of the manuals, which incorporates all the stuff from the web version and the newer PDF versions.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast