Thread: 3D printing

3D printing

I have uploaded a file with both the obj and stl extensions. Both times I get an error from the printer saying, "Model surface area must be greater than 0." I don't have the slightest idea what this means. Any help is appreciated.
    Enjoy Life, this is not a rehearsal!!!

More info

I am attaching a image of Modeler and Layout. Modeler looks okay but the Layout only shows end POINTS of object. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layout.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	275.1 KB 
ID:	123994,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Modeler.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	123993

Are points merged on object? Are tube shapes intersecting at center a solid object with it's points merged properly too?

Should be made of 3 point polygons - including tube ends.

Just wondering. Hope this helps.

you have viewing mode set to verticies in layout. Other than that I don't have a clue.

I've not done any 3D printing, but as the tubes are all overlapping and the middle isn't modelled as such, I suspect that's where your problems lie.
    Forum Tips
    If English is your first language, you should know it's 'losing' and not 'loosing'!

Startibartfast; thanks for getting me on track.

I have been told that the model wasn't scaled by the manufacturer of the 3D printer and showed up considerably smaller and therefore wasn't acceptable. The manufacturer took my stl file into Blender and scaled it so that the object could be manufactured.

Now that we know why Layout is displaying like that, we can move into what else needs to be done. You cannot just overlap parts. They may look like you expect but, to the slicer, those are 5 separate parts. They need to be one part. In Layout Vertices view, there would be points in the center where all of the cylinders are joined together. Files for printing need to be Manifold. IOW, watertight with one outside and one inside. No overlapping polys, no gaps where you can see into the part.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain