Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A simple guide to gaining back countless lost productive hours

A simple guide to gaining back countless lost productive hours

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Bookmarked. --Hell, I SHOULD make it my home page...
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Your Wisdom is PARAMOUNT....so True!

i am among those who do complain. lightwave has a lot to show for...and work arounds are a very common thing i do, Lightwavers do ...
    But if Newtek listened more often to what user "Complain" "Request" and in that, take the most relevant need... then Lightwave i'm sure would be greater.

i understand what your saying and agree ... a lot of new CG artist just use that "Magic button" and BAM!! everything looks good...but never optimise or look for a way
    to do as much with less render time or what not...

Cheers!
    Last edited by Samus; 08-29-2014 at 12:41 PM.

Excellent!!

William thanks for writing that.
    I am bored to death from some "all the same" threads here around.
    I nearly was going to ask something along the line of
    "Guys how do you make any creative things when you are writing all those "articles" here all the time over and over".
    Just not to be sound rude or whatever i haven't...
    I think nobody will see it that way when it comes from you.
    Last edited by kadri; 08-29-2014 at 05:47 PM.

...or use the time while waiting for the render to complete enjoying Williams tutorials! Those helped me a lot to understand how and where to use what tool. Thanks William!

@William
    As usual, I agree completely with what you write. I have always enjoyed your articles in the sadly-dead HDRI 3D. I recall that the most inspiring and useful paper I read in your writings was the one about the "problem solving" approach. Since then I have never asked myself if my projects were doable in Lightwave, but how I would do them in Lightwave. I guess this explains why each time I'm tempted to look elsewhere, I finally go back to LW as it fulfills my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMarlowe View Post
    @William
    As usual, I agree completely with what you write. I have always enjoyed your articles in the sadly-dead HDRI 3D. I recall that the most inspiring and useful paper I read in your writings was the one about the "problem solving" approach. Since then I have never asked myself if my projects were doable in Lightwave, but how I would do them in Lightwave. I guess this explains why each time I'm tempted to look elsewhere, I finally go back to LW as it fulfills my needs.
    At the end of the day.... we are all problem solvers... that is what we are tasked with and what sets us apart from others that attempt to create and fail.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamVaughan View Post
    At the end of the day.... we are all problem solvers... that is what we are tasked with and what sets us apart from others that attempt to create and fail.
    Cool article, thanks for writing that.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

"OH NO!", Joseph Joestar ncr100's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    <3

Honestly, the time I spend here participating in drama amounts to merely that. Akin to reading a story.
    -Nick
    audio: Ö ¤ wk Py

My personal problem with most of todays software wars is, that they rarely ever come up to the beef. (This really has changed during the last 5-6 years)
    And even if they do, they usually stop by a simple feature comparison, and do not count in the actual workflow involved in using that feature.
    Or, what I would personally favor, to actually find ways to incooperate certain software and its feature into a pipeline.

anyway my 2 cents on this
    chris

3d artists could learn a lot from people who only work with 2d. The average flash/anime studio/whatever artist thinks very little about trying to automate every little thing, and as a result, they are typically far more productive in terms of creating actual content than 3d artists are, despite the fact that they have fewer automation tools at their disposal. I think William's article speaks volumes about the idea that perhaps we are seeking so much convenience in our animation and modeling pipelines that it can possibly get in the way of getting work done. Willpower trumps tools.

Even so... I don't regret learning Python to overcome some of the nitpicks i've had with Lightwave's workflows.
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 08-30-2014 at 02:26 PM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

the more i explore LightWave, the more i learn how powerful it is.

the more i use LightWave, the more i learn what powerful features it could have.

i feel it's important to try to help the LW3DGroup to improve LightWave, for their, mine and other artists sake.
    and it's important to document the wanted features properly, somewhat like i did here >
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....-Fixes-Updates

even though i haven't had the time to FogBugz many of those features / fixes, i certainly think they help more than to rant on about how bad "LightWave Feature X" is, without giving any constructive explanation.

Constructive Criticism ? ...Yes please!
    Constant Rant ? ...Welcome to my Ignore list... ;]
    Last edited by erikals; 08-30-2014 at 07:52 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by chazriker View Post
    3d artists could learn a lot from people who only work with 2d. The average flash/anime studio/whatever artist thinks very little about trying to automate every little thing, and as a result, they are typically far more productive in terms of creating actual content than 3d artists are, despite the fact that they have fewer automation tools at their disposal.
    This is very true. Here in the studio, we are all traditional media artists; having an extensive amount of experience creating imagery by hand. We moved (not completely) from paint into pixels in Digital Painting; where the tools are similar but different, but the techniques are pretty much the same—as is the evaluation of the progressing image, its stages along the way and the steps to take to arrive at the finished product. The addition of Layers, Undo and Save As made the largest difference by far. They allow us to take an image further, because experimentation is non-destructive. Of course, destructive experimentation is what makes a physical original so much more precious. Bringing all of that into the 3D world is a blessing. The understanding of illusory images is deeper, because the artist has created them in many diverse ways previous.

In the many years of creating illusory images by placing each and every individual tiny element, I wished for some sort of automation. I did, however, have direct access to the "developer" when I ran into a problem. I taught myself how to do whatever it took in order to create the illusion I wanted.

I could not agree with William's article more. Couldn't have written it better myself, and I'm a fairly good writer. All of his points have been rolling around in my mind as I read the kvetching going on here and in other forums. I've even posted along those lines, from time to time. Reading them all in one go was refreshing, to say the least. He's well respected in these communities. I hope his points sink in and make SOME amount of difference. I'm not holding my breath, but I am glad that he didn't either.
    Blown Glass ˇ Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by chazriker View Post
    I think William's article speaks volumes about the idea that perhaps we are seeking so much convenience in our animation and modeling pipelines that it can possibly get in the way of getting work done. Willpower trumps tools.
    Yes and no, totally depends on the project. Not that you were trying to generalize the matter.

But yeah, I do in fact try to solve a lot more problems using photoshop techniques in 2d than try to figure every little thing out in a 3d environment. But that's because the 2D tools were appropriate for that stage in the design process. Using 3d tools for design is sometimes appropriate as well.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 08-30-2014 at 07:54 PM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast