Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'EF item visibility toggle' fix for LW 11.6.x ?

'EF item visibility toggle' fix for LW 11.6.x ?

i really use this extremely useful plugin a lot to emulate the 'solo' function which you have in other programs for hiding all but the selected geometry temporarily in a scene. it is working as expected for opengl, the only problem is that it will not work with VPR. there is a button in the master plugin which is supposed to toggle also the active state for the selected object(s), but it does not work properly as when using the command 'show unselected' after a previous 'hide unselected', it will toggle ALL objects to ON, regardless of the previous states in the scene.

is there an alternative to this plugin or would it be easy to fix by someone? 'EF item focus' unfortunately does not work anymore correctly under opengl as well under LW 11.6.x.!

cheers

markus
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

OSX 10.12.x, macpro 5.1, nvidia gtx 980 ti, LW2015.x / 2018.x, octane 3.x

Try emailing evenflow3d. I believe he's still pretty active on the forum.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Markus I'm using EF Item Focus under 11.6.3 and all seems to work. What problem are you having with it?

yes i contacted him, hopefully he has time to fix it. seriously, we would need such a tool natively in layout! also it should consider instances when soloing objects, which the current EF plugins cannot do. i would also pay for a shareware or commercial plugin if it would handle this well. for NT, such an addition could be a real good tool to showcase as an improvement over older versions, imho.
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Markus I'm using EF Item Focus under 11.6.3 and all seems to work. What problem are you having with it?
    hm. interesting. i can repeat the issues reported in my first post 100% all the times with all my scenes, here. EF Item Focus has the same issue which makes revert to visible/active ALL of the objects after switching it back. did you use it within a complex scene or just tested with a simple test scene? are some objects hidden/ inactive in your scene before applying it? do you use it under windows or mac? maybe it is a mac only issue.

cheers

markus
    Last edited by 3dworks; 08-26-2014 at 03:57 AM.
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

TrueArt Support
    Activate Next/Previous Items, (De)Activate selection, and couple other tools video tutorials (2 years ago made tools):
    (read description of videos!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQYelIvPtio
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRgfbGryUYo

I could make it to work with hide/unhide item in seconds.

Hide/Unhide works only for viewports OpenGL. While item active/inactive works for F9 render/VPR.
    Last edited by Sensei; 08-26-2014 at 04:44 AM.

what most probably would be needed from user side is:

1. hide all unselected or in other words 'solo' all selected objects in a scene, affecting opengl visibility status only.
    2. restore previous visibility in scene.
    options for
    1. affecting VPR visibility as well (make active following opengl visibility).
    2. including or not including instances.

in the end, we need two simple buttons for 'hide unselected' and 'restore unselected visibility' in the menu and a simple options panel.

could this be done with your plugins?

cheers

markus
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

you could also try LayersMC from Dodgy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8fdaCgzXbk
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    "Solo" is a prime standard UI practice that should be implemented by LW3dG.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Activate Next/Previous Items, (De)Activate selection, and couple other tools video tutorials (2 years ago made tools):
    (read description of videos!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQYelIvPtio
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRgfbGryUYo

I could make it to work with hide/unhide item in seconds.

Hide/Unhide works only for viewports OpenGL. While item active/inactive works for F9 render/VPR.

Just tested on a complex scene, 134 objects, multiple camera, clones & instances. Actually when I say 'tested' this was just to double check as I use this plugin almost every day. EF Item Focus will solo anything in the scene editor including clones and instances. Works in openGl and VPR. bind to a hotkey for one click solo'ing. Single item or full hierarchy modes work. If an item is hidden before activating EF, the plugin respects it and it won't be rendered in VPR. Also after switching back it respects the previous state of the scene editor, visibility and active state. You might want to contact the author as initially it did not work. He patched it up for 11.x comparability and sent me a working one (PC here).

Totally agree this should really be in LW out of the box, an essential function especially for larger scenes. I was surprised to learn that even C4D did not have this functionality until the latest release.

EDIT: Looking back at my emails with Dan (the plugin dev) actually the problem was I was trying to get to work with Kray. It's all a bit fuzzy as this all happened about 10 months ago but I'm pretty sure the script worked perfectly with LW from the start. In any case contact Dan he's a nice guy and I'll be surprised if he doesn't respond.

(oops replied to the wrong message..
    Last edited by MrFurious; 08-26-2014 at 08:33 PM.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Dan Dulberger? He writes Good Plugins.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

TrueArt Support
    EDIT: Looking back at my emails with Dan (the plugin dev) actually the problem was I was trying to get to work with Kray.
    Because tool has to change activation state, not OpenGL visibility state, to work with VPR and Kray. See mine videos. It's working with Kray and VPR.

Hi Markus and Dean, I'll have a another look at both scripts to see what might be the problem.
    Last edited by evenflcw; 08-27-2014 at 03:19 AM.

dan, thanks so much for your help and for looking at it again! :-)

@sensei: there is a toggle in dan's script to change also activation state, but it is just not working as expected...
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

(...)You might want to contact the author as initially it did not work. He patched it up for 11.x comparability and sent me a working one (PC here).

Totally agree this should really be in LW out of the box, an essential function especially for larger scenes. I was surprised to learn that even C4D did not have this functionality until the latest release.

EDIT: Looking back at my emails with Dan (the plugin dev) actually the problem was I was trying to get to work with Kray. It's all a bit fuzzy as this all happened about 10 months ago but I'm pretty sure the script worked perfectly with LW from the start. In any case contact Dan he's a nice guy and I'll be surprised if he doesn't respond.

(oops replied to the wrong message..
    could be i am still working with an older version on mac, indeed!

btw. true for c4d! also if i remember that for older versions of c4d there was a shareware 'solo' plugin.

@dan: the 'ef_itemfocus.lsc' script i am using is from may 3, 2010.

cheers

markus
    Last edited by 3dworks; 08-27-2014 at 03:32 AM.
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast