Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Octane for LW 2 on a RD macBookPro

Mike, in Monsters Inc Tartiflette's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dworks View Post
    summing it up, octane is a good option for certain but not for all scenes. exterior scenes, object renderings, scenes with instances, deformations and in general for animation work well, but even then it is not always a 'speed wonder'.
    That sums up quite perfectly my feeling about Octane.

Don't get me wrong, i'm glad i bought the plugin, as JuanJo (like Markus said) has done a tremendous job with it and i could make my mind about it, on my scenes and given my workflow, to see if it could be a good solution.
    That said, i'm more a "biased" guy i think, as all this noise everywhere is always driving me nuts !

The only exception i found in the "physical render engines" world would be Thea, which i found really fast to eliminate the noise and so powerful, i really love it !
    The downside is that there isn't any plugin from LightWave to use Thea so you're forced to export every object by hand and rebuild the scene in Thea, quite tedious if you ask me.

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartiflette View Post
    Don't worry i didn't mean overheating in a sense of risking anything with the machine (or if it sounded like this, my apologies, that wasn't meant this way), i have had pretty much every MacBookPro that Apple has been releasing over the years (i'm a Mac freak !) and i know they are good machines.

I just wanted to say that the performance would go even lower because of possibilities of overheating and in that case the CPU or GPU just reduce its speed by itself.
    That plus the fact i hate hearing my MacBookPro's fans going crazy (i'm a bit of over-emotional, i know ! ) and you'll see why i'm saying it's not recommended to use Octane on a laptop.

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette.
    Lol, no worries, maybe it's my english/american typing but I wasn't upset in any way. (I really like the machines, but I'm not a hardcore mac freak ). Though I thought you feared "burning" the hardware but you cleared that up as well

And no, building a renderfarm with mac laptops would probably be the worst "investment" ever

Quote Originally Posted by 3dworks View Post
    apart of speed, there are still other advantages when rendering with maxwell over octane, like the ability to render in multilight mode and always getting antialiased material, id, depth and other technical layers all in one go, or being able to resume and refine a rendering or a sequence at any time.
    You should give Thea Render a shot.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

The only exception i found in the "physical render engines" world would be Thea, which i found really fast to eliminate the noise and so powerful, i really love it !
    The downside is that there isn't any plugin from LightWave to use Thea so you're forced to export every object by hand and rebuild the scene in Thea, quite tedious if you ask me.
    Agreed on both points. I don't know why they're dragging their feet on this. Same goes for the MODO plugin; which at least does exist but in an older form. All kinds of work on SketchUp, though.

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by spherical View Post
    You should give Thea Render a shot.

(...)

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette.
    Sure Thea is a capable renderer, but both Octane and Maxwell have excellent LW Plugins. Any engine not having at least that level of integration are not interesting for production, as a LW based studio. Also still looking forward the long announced Kray 3, which - once released - is announced to have the most advanced integration with LW. Some of it's GI calculations will be GPU based as well, afaik.
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

OSX 10.12.x, macpro 5.1, nvidia gtx 980 ti, LW2015.x / 2018.x, octane 3.x

So, get on their forum and make some noise! If everyone just sits here dissing, nothing changes.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M in my 2013 iMac i5 27 inch, octane works well with this card, won't be as fast as the heavy hitter nvidia cards but it is serviceable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12