Thread: Is it ok to use Dropbox on a TriCaster?

Is it ok to use Dropbox on a TriCaster?

It seems a handful of you are using Dropbox on a Tricaster with success. I have never installed any software on my TriCaster 860 for fear of messing it up but this might be the fastest easiest solution to move media on and off during a live production.

We're going to be streaming a sports event with 250+ athletes, multiple events each with multiple heats and need graphics done on the fly. We don't have a LiveText operator to do it for us so we're using a graphics person to revise templates and save as PNG's throughout the day for future events as athletes in and lose.

Can I run Dropbox while in LIVE production and will it sync in the background? Will it mess up the stream? The files we'll be moving will be small. Under 1mb each.

Or should we just stick to flash drives?

It isn't supported and you will get an warning message every-time you startup the TriCaster about 3rd party software being installed.

Can you install Dropbox on another system and have it save into a share on the TriCaster? That might be a better method. Is the graphics person remote? If they are on the local network, they could just save the file right over the network.

If you do try it, make sure you test, test, test. And test in the way you will be using the system. If you are streaming, recording and using the chroma keyer on 3 inputs, then do your testing with that configuration.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    and make sure you are using a gigabit network switch...
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

We couldn't live without Dropbox - and TeamViewer on our Tricasters. If both are risks, we accept that. We keep videos out of the Dropbox account the Tricasters are in. It's incredibly useful for graphics though
    3xScreen Media - the online video experts
    www.3xscreen.co.uk

We use 860, 850 & 450 Tricasters, 3Play 425, Livetext laptops, LT Scoreboards, UltimateTV Midi Doll, Young Monkey's Mastercontrol.

I took a chance, installed dropbox to test. Worse case scenario, I restore the 860 back to default. No Big deal.

Went into live move, streamed out and recorded every ISO track. I was still able to get to dropbox and see new files being sycned from another computer. iPad connected and iVGA still functional as well through ASUS router with gigabit switch built in.

Long story short. It worked perfect as I thought but I'm not jumping to conclusions too fast. Not enough time to make sure it's flawless. Thanks for all the tips!