Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What is going with LightWave ??

Quote Originally Posted by robertoortiz View Post
    And don't get me started about 3d scene recreation using only sound.
    also called Echo Sounding...
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...unding_USN.jpg

saw fishermen use it when i was a kid...

i take it this is a more advanced form of it... :]
    Last edited by erikals; 08-13-2014 at 07:27 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMarlowe View Post
    I had thought so too, but after messing with the apprentice (free) for a while and looking at a lot of tutorials, I've decided that LW (and perhaps Chronosculpt, some day) were fulfilling my needs in the 3D area for now.
    i wouldn't use Houdini for modeling or character animation, but rather for VFX > hard dynamics, cloth, fluids

just need to verify that LightWave can import the fluids via Alembic or such...

Yep, that's why it won't help me for the moment. I do need some dynamics here and there, but not enough to justify the time I would spend trying to learn Houdini.

My appologies regarding the last time Siggy was hosted in Vancouver. My wife and I turned it into a rather nice vacation/adventure. And the Center (re?) is lovely both as a faculity and in it's location. It had only been my own personal "feeling" that it had been a smaller event - based upon having attended previous Siggraphs. It had also felt odd, that as you'd walk the floor there would be empty spots on the floor from cancellation. Sure, that happens at every event. It only seemed like there were several "larger" empty spots at this show.

I so agree with you on the love / hate. I have been puttering around with LW for several years - but as a hobbist, so I don't have that added pressure of 'Needing" it to do (fill in the blank/s). Then due to location of where I live, I am (most happily) able to attend the LA LW user group meetings. I think I'm safe in saying that there are always members of the LW team in attendance. That is NOT to say that at each meeting they are rattling off coming items... far from it. But they are there. Smiling, talking and sharing. All of which say to me that things are happening, moving forward and there is no spectre of doom on the horizon. And on those occations when Rob drops by... I'm sorry, but it is hard to be in the room listening to him without wanting to reach down for your own LW pom-poms. He is infectus in the best of ways.

I guess that may be part of what the rest of us is missing. I'm an old comics fan. "Back in the day" with Marvel comics, there would be a little box where Stan Lee would say something. Sometimes it would be a sneak peek for a new book - other times it would be a bad joke. But he'd be there every month. Maybe we just need a "Rob's Ramble" that would pop up from time to time. Maybe a "hey here what we're working on" or "watch out for ... movie / TV it had LW" or just a bad joke. Just to remind the rest of the community that the lights are on, we're revving the engine, Koolness is coming.
    Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by Davewriter View Post
    My appologies regarding the last time Siggy was hosted in Vancouver. My wife and I turned it into a rather nice vacation/adventure. And the Center (re?) is lovely both as a faculity and in it's location. It had only been my own personal "feeling" that it had been a smaller event - based upon having attended previous Siggraphs. It had also felt odd, that as you'd walk the floor there would be empty spots on the floor from cancellation. Sure, that happens at every event. It only seemed like there were several "larger" empty spots at this show.

I so agree with you on the love / hate. I have been puttering around with LW for several years - but as a hobbist, so I don't have that added pressure of 'Needing" it to do (fill in the blank/s). Then due to location of where I live, I am (most happily) able to attend the LA LW user group meetings. I think I'm safe in saying that there are always members of the LW team in attendance. That is NOT to say that at each meeting they are rattling off coming items... far from it. But they are there. Smiling, talking and sharing. All of which say to me that things are happening, moving forward and there is no spectre of doom on the horizon. And on those occations when Rob drops by... I'm sorry, but it is hard to be in the room listening to him without wanting to reach down for your own LW pom-poms. He is infectus in the best of ways.

I guess that may be part of what the rest of us is missing. I'm an old comics fan. "Back in the day" with Marvel comics, there would be a little box where Stan Lee would say something. Sometimes it would be a sneak peek for a new book - other times it would be a bad joke. But he'd be there every month. Maybe we just need a "Rob's Ramble" that would pop up from time to time. Maybe a "hey here what we're working on" or "watch out for ... movie / TV it had LW" or just a bad joke. Just to remind the rest of the community that the lights are on, we're revving the engine, Koolness is coming.
    Just a thought
    If Rob doesnīt have any actuall "useful food" information on upcoming tech and development, I think it is actually better of if he is silent and let him focus on the development, then again itīs a different matter if they schedule such events and indeed actually making sure the information is "useful food"

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Well, I don't want Rob to waste his time, but he IS in a position to see the latest and greatest in many related developments. So, even if he didn't say anything LW-specific, he might have an interesting observation once a month.

It'd be nice.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    i wouldn't use Houdini for modeling or character animation, but rather for VFX > hard dynamics, cloth, fluids

just need to verify that LightWave can import the fluids via Alembic or such...
    Unfortunately current Alembic implementation in LW doesn't support changing topology, so that rules out fluids transfer in 99% cases. Surfaced mesh is out of the question in any case because point count changes on every frame (same goes for foam/bubbles/spray). Only thing you could transfer is pure particles in simulation where reseeding is turned off and you don't source fluids from additional emitters during sim, so the point count stays the same. Until we see some Alembic improvements you could use Realfow plugins to transfer stuff to LW if you really need to. Better/easier way would be to just transfer your camera and geometry with FBX to Houdini and render these elements with Mantra (greater control using various attributes from particles/sim inside shaders, better handling huge amount of geometry/data, etc.).
    Animator - Vimeo, Behance

btw

Of the ~50 or so animations on the featured SIGGRAPH showcase (and delivered on USB key) only single ONE mentioned Lightwave was used in its production. Yes I went through every single one and looked at the hardware/software credits in them and only Crytek's "Ryse of Rome" mentioned Lightwave (among like 50 tools) and I kind of suspect only a sword or some random background thing was modeled in LW. No wonder people look at you funny if you mention lightwave.

Sadly, the Lightwave brand (much more so than the software itself that i dig) is becoming a bit of a liability professionally. I think I might hack my copy of LW and stick an autodesk png in my Layout splash screen and pretend it's an old version of Maya.

Hmm, thought I'd posted my response to this already, but apparently not, so...

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    who? I disagree with yourself there especially the term "broadly" please correct myself if I am wrong but

ZBrush ? nope
    Wrong. Pixologic Summit (last weekend) both discussed and showed a substantial demo of what was coming in the next release of Zbrush, to anyone who wanted to watch. Pixologic had given similar demos/discussions well in advance of past few releases as well.
    Modo ? not now.
    Wrong. The entire "frogurt" discussion was about upcoming feature work, they showed Colorway at the 801 release, and there's a customer-only forum area which has been a place for them to discuss upcoming features and changes across multiple releases/years.
    ALL AUTODESK products nope.
    Wrong. Autodesk's EUE (End User Event) has "classes" discussing and demonstrating upcoming features and directions for both Maya and Max, and they've been using that event as a means for customer feedback on direction and feature implementation for years now.
    3DC nope
    Wrong. Customers get access to all "in progress" beta releases between releases, and Andrew frequently discusses new feature work and directions in the beta topics.
    Rhino not sure but I assume not
    (sigh, there's a trend here) Wrong. Users have had access to Wenatchee (Mac Rhino) throughout its development, and the communications about it are all about new features and directions.
    Keyshot nope
    I hardly consider this a relevant "competitor" for LW, but your poor track record above also makes me skeptical about your claim.
    pretty much goes on like so
    Frankly, you proved my case much more so than supported your own. And, of course, you deliberately omitted companies like SideFx who are extremely open with customers about future directions and beta access. Between Autodesk and SideFx, that's most of the 3D market right there, and as noted, they both openly discuss features and directions with customers (SideFx more so, but AD does as well).
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Yes the LW alembic importer needs improvements so, particle and fluid sims can come over.

The LW Geo cache importer can't handle changing topology either.

Some days ago I went to Modo Trial. At the moment I can say that Modo's realtime preview is much worse than LightWave VPR. VPR have much more speed, he deals with large scenes without problems, VPR have much greater sensitivity than Modo previewer. Big architectural scenes with many instance groups is a pain for Modo - Lightwave can support them without problems. But Modo have some other things that LW doesn't have.
    - Architectural Visualizations -

Quote Originally Posted by kfinla View Post
    Yes the LW alembic importer needs improvements so, particle and fluid sims can come over.

The LW Geo cache importer can't handle changing topology either.
    mdd export works though, but no use for fluids since you canīt have a change in increasing point amount.
    object sequence is probably the only way for exporting out the fluid meshes from houdini to lightwave, have done that before ..but lost the workflow since I rarely touch houdini for the moment.

Yeah, LW and its flaws Every package got theirs, I tried to have an object emit particles in Cinema4D. Thats what, a few clicks in LW ? In Cinema You need to build some elaborate thinking particles structure.
    Bye,
    Emmanuel

----------------
    For Hire
    Portfolio
    Graveyard Dogs Indie game dev blog, visit and vote for the best RPG of all time !

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    mdd export works though, but no use for fluids since you canīt have a change in increasing point amount.
    object sequence is probably the only way for exporting out the fluid meshes from houdini to lightwave, have done that before ..but lost the workflow since I rarely touch houdini for the moment.
    you can use the realflow plugins to export houdini fluids to LW

anyone with experience on this, would it work ok in LightWave for, let's say 50mill polys if one has sufficient ram?

(running 64bit LightWave of course, not 32...)

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast