Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 345 of 380

Thread: What is going with LightWave ??

  1. #331
    I just want Lightwave to live long and prosper

    only 12 months until Siggraph 2015
    stee+cat
    real name: steve gilbert
    http://www.cresshead.com/

    Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

  2. #332
    Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    I think, THINK, RPowers saw little to be gained and much to be bothered by uncontrolled/un-thought-out info releases, and said "To hell with it, we're not playing that losing game."

    Fair enough, but throw us dogs a bone: regular small press releases would ease our jones.

    OR, hell, release monthly CORRECTIONS to the damn PDFs.
    I agree. With every word being gone over by "Us" for possiblities, "I" think the Rob is taking the slow and measured route. After having one comment at (I think) NAB having "Us" thinking / complaining that, afterward, we weren't getting Neveron for free - I think he learned a harsh lesson. The lesson being that we can be very cruel. And with LW 12 being "truely his" top to bottom, I don't think he wants any slips before release.
    Something here and there would be great - yet somehow I think it's going to be a buckle in and wait thing.

  3. #333
    Electron wrangler jwiede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    7,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Davewriter View Post
    I agree. With every word being gone over by "Us" for possiblities, "I" think the Rob is taking the slow and measured route. After having one comment at (I think) NAB having "Us" thinking / complaining that, afterward, we weren't getting Neveron for free - I think he learned a harsh lesson. The lesson being that we can be very cruel.
    So that was all the doing of "cruel" customers now?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

  4. #334
    Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    14,741
    I'd still like fortnightly documentation correction and emendation. How hard could THAT be? Fixing omissions that users find FOR you? C'mon.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

  5. #335
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    220
    I'm rather amused by you guys wrangling and begging for bread crumbs. Lets be honest, this unprecedented state of silent from NT is not a positive sign. I doubt NT will be pressured to even throw us a bone. NT tend to thump their chests about their launches even though they missed the date all the time. I love LW so much that I developed a crutch mentality on LW future development. Though I'm disappointed with it current state I keep coming back once a while to check if there's any progress but only to be disappointed further. I bought modo 601 and Zbrush 4.0 as LW's state then was rather less than impressed. However I never really know how to use them. Each time I tried I ended up going back to LW. To me familiarity is probably the key problem to venture any further. Lately I felt the need to revisit Zbrush again and I made deliberate effort for weeks learning the software. Surprisingly it was very rewarding. The UI seems logical and make sense now. I can proficiently sculpt and paint for paid jobs. I just upgraded modo 801 and bought some tutorials. My small victory over Zbrush encouraged me to mount a modo learning journey. Liking it so far as I made good progress. Rather than waiting for LW to come out with some new tools. I chose to spend time learning other tools and got rewarded despite believing that I will never able to pick up. To you guys out there stop whining and lamenting. Siggraph 2014 already over and nothing exciting from NT other than the "Octane combo offer". If NT chose to mute about it why are we so suck up? Its definitely better spend your precious time in 3D creation or learning something productive. Just my 2¢ worth no offence by any means.

  6. #336
    ..since 4.0 and beyond brent3d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by battery555 View Post
    I'm rather amused by you guys wrangling and begging for bread crumbs. Lets be honest, this unprecedented state of silent from NT is not a positive sign. I doubt NT will be pressured to even throw us a bone. NT tend to thump their chests about their launches even though they missed the date all the time. I love LW so much that I developed a crutch mentality on LW future development. Though I'm disappointed with it current state I keep coming back once a while to check if there's any progress but only to be disappointed further. I bought modo 601 and Zbrush 4.0 as LW's state then was rather less than impressed. However I never really know how to use them. Each time I tried I ended up going back to LW. To me familiarity is probably the key problem to venture any further. Lately I felt the need to revisit Zbrush again and I made deliberate effort for weeks learning the software. Surprisingly it was very rewarding. The UI seems logical and make sense now. I can proficiently sculpt and paint for paid jobs. I just upgraded modo 801 and bought some tutorials. My small victory over Zbrush encouraged me to mount a modo learning journey. Liking it so far as I made good progress. Rather than waiting for LW to come out with some new tools. I chose to spend time learning other tools and got rewarded despite believing that I will never able to pick up. To you guys out there stop whining and lamenting. Siggraph 2014 already over and nothing exciting from NT other than the "Octane combo offer". If NT chose to mute about it why are we so suck up? Its definitely better spend your precious time in 3D creation or learning something productive. Just my 2¢ worth no offence by any means.
    If your so captivated by the software and processes you newly ventured on to why come to this forum and try to spread grief? The fact you talk about Modo as if it's not from LW (most of it's modeling tools, animation tools, and processes) means you must not know LW, to me. Modo logic comes from LW, no two 3D apps on the market share that level of compatibility natively, so why one over the other? Using both LW and Modo together is true power for the individual artist and saves you hundreds compared to the cost of Max or Maya. Also, you said you spent the time to learn Zbrush (congratulations you get a star), but you made know mention of Modo's sculpting or painting abilities which have improved dramatically in 701 and 801 or any of the recent improvements made to LW itself?
    [URL="http://www.alleynestudio.com/home"]Alleyne Studio / 3D Art & Animation[/URL]

    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/alleyne3d"]Brent's Youtube Training Vids[/URL]

  7. #337
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ghana West Africa
    Posts
    869
    If only CORE had lived...

  8. #338
    Adapting Artist jasonwestmas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    11,399
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    So that was all the doing of "cruel" customers now?
    Everyone needs a scape goat.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

  9. #339
    I did a quick job in a studio, all people uses max there and they were amazed why am I using lightwave at all as it has been acquired and
    discontinued by Autodesk already, so why do I bother at all. Needless to say Lightwave proved itself, I created lots of lots of material
    during the 2 weeks schedule, it is a Samsung live event in Berlin, called IFA
    Some guys stopped by when I used realtime displacement along instancing with VPR. They were humbly silent and said to me that
    doing that voxel like effect took ages on max while I pulled it off in LW in no time. I was pretty proud of LW then.

  10. #340
    Super Member JohnMarchant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Murcia, Spain
    Posts
    3,278
    LightWave acquired and dumped by Autodesk, when was that.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

    LightWave 2020

    Very nice Laptop

  11. #341
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    desktop
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by battery555 View Post
    I just upgraded modo 801 and bought some tutorials. My small victory over Zbrush encouraged me to mount a modo learning journey. Liking it so far as I made good progress. Rather than waiting for LW to come out with some new tools.
    I didn't know there were modo users in Singapore. Its a small island after all.
    Most of the people I know there use 3dmax and maya. The studios there ILM SG and Double Negative don't use Modo at all. Ofcourse they don't use lightwave either. Anyway goodluck. Both tools are quite capable for most tasks for the price it offers. I gave up on modo and sticking with lightwave.

  12. #342
    Registered User ivanze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    South America
    Posts
    622
    Usually, some of the power users of Lightwave never post in this forums. They are busy creating something. I know some very good people working with Lightwave that never visit this forums.

  13. #343
    Member Albertdup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pretoria South Africa
    Posts
    272
    Lately I have been forced to use other tools, the level of work required and the missing features in Lightwave just make it imposable to carry on. Problem is I am getting to a point where I don't see why I have to use Lightwave anymore. Arnold support is great but I got Redshift 3D and it is so fast I don't need Arnold. With the new Houdini Indi I can do lots of cool stuff and send it out and render as needed. Broken fur, that keeps on crashing, NO proper Alembic support, NO opensubd, NO openVDB. The list carries on. Lightwave have been a part of my life since 1998, and it kind of feels like an abusive relationship, you don't know you are in it until you are no longer in it. So unless there is some amazing things coming up, I don't see myself upgrading in future.
    MAC Pro 12 core OS X 10.9 ATI 7950 32GIG RAM & Nvidia GTX570

  14. #344
    Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    14,741
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    LightWave acquired and dumped by Autodesk, when was that.
    YOU know: that time, in their heads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Albertdup View Post
    I don't see myself upgrading in future.
    Albertdup, are you current w/LW, or a version back?
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

  15. #345
    Super Member JohnMarchant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Murcia, Spain
    Posts
    3,278
    Lol jeric
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

    LightWave 2020

    Very nice Laptop

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •