Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What is going with LightWave ??

What is going with LightWave ??

Many of old users wants to know what going on with LightWave ? We are looking for something or we must going out ? Six months without any answers and plans. We must know what to do. What we can expect in the future ?
    - Architectural Visualizations -

This will be fun

I'm sure by end of Siggraph. we will have some news at least on the rumoured 11.x update. Though I doubt LW 12 will be ready until late next year at the earliest, it would be nice to get some info on it that they are cetain they can deliver for it, even if not too specific. I understand they want to avoid disappoints and any future backlash which I understand, but I'm sure they can reveal something.

The deafening silence from LW3DG is so annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail View Post
    The deafening silence from LW3DG is so annoying.
    but in there defense since they can't / won't say anything ... it wouldn't matter what LW3DG said or done "WE" would take every single word and then twist it to fit our perspective or the complete opposite and take it as gods final word.

it happens time & time again you only need to read backwards , why would they risk getting burnt again, you don't see any other 3D company engaging with it's users and delivering promises / goals.

it's damage limitation

I would rather see results than corporate banter ... could there be more interaction with it's community? perhaps , but what would you suggest a ROBCAST every month like modo? meh they have a good balancing act atm , newsletters , social presence

I think they have said about all they need to say. It is pretty clear from things they have said in the past what they are up to. And I don't think they have gotten burned.

What has happened is they have made some very very bad mistakes with development. More like shooting themselves in the foot.

But that is all in the past now. Presently they are carrying on with the stated plans and hopefully some new surprises. Why dredge the past up into it? And why point the finger at the community for their mistakes? Not in communicating but in planning.

I think the only reason they are not saying anything is because there is nothing more to add at this time.

Blog Entries
    interesting.......... yep
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX TRX40-E GAMING Rev 1.xx
    1 x Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core - 3690 MHz (32 cores, 64 threads) Fractal S36 AIO
    131072 MB DDR4 DIMM 2133 MHz (8 of 8 slots)

I think that it goes both ways though. We are currently evaluating what software will fulfill our future needs. The strides that LW has made in both software and marketing have been impressive and the free updates with new features are certainly appreciated but it may not be enough to keep my company on board. I really hope that we get a better idea of where things are headed soon.

I always liked how the president of houdini was informing and sharing future plans, with Rob Powers it is a bit too silent maybe,I am not sure really what to think of it, I personally would prefer a little more of a roadmap on whats going on, but at the same time I can recognize that Rob might be doing more use stearing up and do actual work in organizing stuff for lightwave behind the scenes ...rather than jumping back and forth and spending energy on forum discussions.
    I guess it needs some balance though.

Maybe a scheduled quarter report on the lighwave development might be a good thing, so everyone knows when to excpect further information etc, and the rest of the time is on focus for the actual work on lightwave.
    A little of a speculation, not sure if the silenence indeed is a way of not letting other software developers jumping in on tech that is planned to arrive and to insure that no one getīs a head start before the lightwave group is finished.

The last post in the Lighwave announcement section is a bit out of date...
    08-07-2013

I can see an issue where people might be afraid nothing is happening etc...I recall my old company stopped updating the news over a year ago, then it filed for bankrupcy, now ..I hope not people catch on to such speculation since I believe they have a lot of stuff going on, but for those not that familiar to lightwave etc..that might be percieved as a bad token.

Live in peace
    work in peace
    rest in peace

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    but what would you suggest a ROBCAST every month like modo? meh they have a good balancing act atm , newsletters , social presence
    Would be enough with a quarter report..I think, that is way more than what we have now and will let them work in between that period undisturbed.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    The last post in the Lighwave announcement section is a bit out of date...
    08-07-2013
    Combine this with MUCH fewer LW user posts, the movement of Tricaster and other products up in prominence in the forums, marketing continually linking to 3+ y/o tutorials on social media, etc. and you start to have a perception problem. I'm a LW user since 5.6 and it's still my daily driver so I only want the best for it and the LW3DG but I do need to know that it's going to continue getting me from point A to point B reliably and efficiently.

Hopefully this pondering is all for naught after this week.
    Last edited by devin; 08-11-2014 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by devin View Post
    Combine this with MUCH fewer LW user posts, the movement of the Tricaster and other products up in prominence in the forums, etc. and you start to create a perception problem.
    Well said. It's like LW is dead in the water.
    www.mrwyatt.de
    lighting & rendering supervisor at
    Ambient Entertainment

current project

IMDB

Ya it's getting ridiculous...
    Blender even releases developer meeting notes and you know exactly what is coming down the pipe.....free software

The only real insight into the LW dev process we had was a few posts from David Ikeda, that promptly were removed and he has since quit.

There is a pattern here.....remember the silence before the cancelation of CORE.

Time will tell if LW group has gone into a low power energy saving mode....

To be fair, they were silent before a lot of the significant updates....so here's hoping to be pleasantly surprised

Developers don't like to talk about features before they finish writing them, otherwise, they are committed to making them work. It's not evil, just inconvenient.

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ritchie View Post
    Developers don't like to talk about features before they finish writing them, otherwise, they are committed to making them work...
    And that's a bad thing because?
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast