Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 382

Thread: What is going with LightWave ??

  1. #31
    Big fan of coffee raw-m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,338
    Yes, no show or no word of a no show at Siggraph concerns me. I'm sure there were requests for showreels for a Siggraph LW3DG showreel earlier this year.

  2. #32
    Member toeknee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Houston,Texas
    Posts
    243
    I have to agree with the pack here. Leaving up hanging with with out anything sucks. I would hope that someone at Newtek would bother to pipe in here and say something. If we had some kind of hope it would help keep some people from jumping ship. I really wonder whats up with Rob? His last post in the forums was in March. Thats four months with out any contact. Look man there are still many people here that love this tool and need some hope are at least some new to plan their next moves. I know at my company I have to turn in any purchase request easily so I can get the next tools. If I have no feedback it make it harder not to jump ship. I am a die hard fan boy and even I am saying WTF man say something!!
    The LW Beast From the East

  3. #33
    Dreamer Ztreem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,131
    They could at least say if they are planning to release some info or not...

  4. #34
    Member toeknee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Houston,Texas
    Posts
    243
    Exactly something, the silence is very annoying.
    The LW Beast From the East

  5. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    talking about blender , this is a roadmap from siggy

    Open software is a different ballgame. They have to talk about what they want to do, otherwise, how would anyone know to write it?

  6. #36
    NewTek Social Media Chuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    6,399
    Quote Originally Posted by heynewt View Post
    Just picked up on this thread. Stopped in because I didn't hear any news from Lightwave about Siggraph. I was at Siggraph in 2013 and Lightwave had a huge booth right at the front. Looks like they decided not to go to Canada. But not making an out-of-country road trip and not saying "anything" about future development plans during the biggest announcement week for 3D folks are 2 different things. That's just bizarre. Plus, for Newtek, Lightwave seems to now be an afterthought given how little prominence they show it on their website. That speaks volumes.

    My company is Newtek's worst nightmare. We've been upgrading for LW 15 years, but we won't go to LW 12. Our clients are pushing us to get out of Lightwave and move to Modo and C4D which is what we're gradually doing. I think LW is probably going the way of Softimage. Both great pieces of software that didn't keep up with the times. At the Autodesk user group meetings, I still get made fun of for sticking with Lightwave. The Maya guys ask if Lightwave has more than one "undo" in the graph editor. I tell them, just wait for LW 20, they're promising TWO undos in the graph editor!!

    Robert
    Hi, Robert!

    LightWave is indeed not featured at www.newtek.com. That's because two years ago as a step toward strengthening the LightWave brand in it's own right, the newly formed NewTek LW3D Group under President Rob Powers elected to move to a dedicated www.lightwave3d.com home on the web. The reaction of most observers has been that the new home site is far better than any versions of the preceding LightWave product pages that appeared on the NewTek home site. That is what actually speaks volumes, and as a LightWave user myself I not only appreciate the great look of the LightWave site but the improvements that have been made to the registration and accounts system integrated into that site, and the improvements in support also implemented in conjunction with that site.

    As with the last time that the show was located in Vancouver, LW3DG has elected not to have a booth at the show this year. I am not in the loop on what they may choose to share this week (I moved into the video marketing team a couple of years ago), but I can say that the team is emphatically not in a slowdown. That's not the way they roll, ever. And man, do they ever rock!
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc., Vizrt Group
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

  7. #37
    NewTek Social Media Chuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    6,399
    Quote Originally Posted by raw-m View Post
    Yes, no show or no word of a no show at Siggraph concerns me. I'm sure there were requests for showreels for a Siggraph LW3DG showreel earlier this year.
    That call for a show reel is a sticky thread at the top of this forum: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....-Siggraph-2014!

    The SIGGRAPH exhibition starts tomorrow. I would expect that would be when they would plan on showing videos, to be in step with the Exhibition portion, as a virtual booth.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc., Vizrt Group
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

  8. #38
    Thanks Chuck.....good to hear

  9. #39
    Dreamer Ztreem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,131
    Thanks Chuck for stepping in and inform us... It stills amazes me that this info is not released for the community in advanced, like in a newsletter or something. It could been as little as, we will not attend Siggraph this year but will have a virtual booth starting a this date and time, come and see us there.

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ritchie View Post
    Open software is a different ballgame. They have to talk about what they want to do, otherwise, how would anyone know to write it?
    Its being developed by a group of individuals in a development team....not random coders across the world.....its almost always the same guys rotating development tasks.
    Its not like they are posting asking people to code these tools for them, these roadmaps have people already assigned to the tasks way ahead of time

    Blender may be non-profit, but it employs many full time developers and gets some donated help through the google summer of code.....it functions and runs the same as any other software development, just with sales being substituted for donations.

    They just happen to publish the developer notes and roadmaps for the sake of the community....they could keep everybody in the dark if they wanted. Who would complain?

  11. #41

    hopefully they'll send out an email informing....

    then again, i know myself, i'll find the info, always do...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  12. #42
    Super Member Snosrap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    4,923
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickedpup View Post
    http://renderman.pixar.com/view/DP25849
    Some movement on the Renderman front, but not clear if this developed by the LW3DG....
    huh

  13. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    desktop
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Hi, Robert!

    LightWave is indeed not featured at www.newtek.com. That's because two years ago as a step toward strengthening the LightWave brand in it's own right, the newly formed NewTek LW3D Group under President Rob Powers elected to move to a dedicated www.lightwave3d.com home on the web. The reaction of most observers has been that the new home site is far better than any versions of the preceding LightWave product pages that appeared on the NewTek home site. That is what actually speaks volumes, and as a LightWave user myself I not only appreciate the great look of the LightWave site but the improvements that have been made to the registration and accounts system integrated into that site, and the improvements in support also implemented in conjunction with that site.

    As with the last time that the show was located in Vancouver, LW3DG has elected not to have a booth at the show this year. I am not in the loop on what they may choose to share this week (I moved into the video marketing team a couple of years ago), but I can say that the team is emphatically not in a slowdown. That's not the way they roll, ever. And man, do they ever rock!

    See a statement like this just makes people feel reassured that there's something going on. Its not that hard to communicate this way to users.

    The total lack of communication from lw3dg is terrible. The handling of lightwave product on the communication side is terrible, terrible, terrible.

    There's so many non-devs who can communicate what's going on like Cody, Matt, Lino, Rob himself its wierd these people are so silent. Take a cue from Brad Peebler how to sell a product.

  14. #44
    Wow! A tough crowd. Two years ago Siggraph was in Canada - no LW and all the talk was "this is it. They're going down." A year later and LW has a hot booth, first thing you see on the way in and all was good.

    Not that I don't love our friends up north, but two years back, the show wasn't as big and LW wasn't the only team not making an appearance. Let's face it. Siggraph is a really expensive show to do. And if the attendence isn't as large, nor is the visablity there... then why not wait a year and better use some money?

    Last year I don't believe there was a Maya booth. So did that mean they're going away? I'm guessing not. They didn't have anything to show, so they used the space for Motionbuilder.

    It's not as if we never hear from LW. Cody, Matt & Lino are still posting tuts. They still answer questions asked here.
    Sure, I wish I were listed in Rob's email listings. It'd be cool to see what's being worked on. But how helpfull is that to the company?
    This last weekend Zbrush had a great show. At heart it was the annoucement of 4 R7. But even with the demos they had - no questions were taken. And they went out of their way to Not Promise that anything they were showing would actually be in the release.
    So I have a pretty good feeling that LW crew is still working on things. And I'm guessing that when they have bits rather bolted together well - there will be a grand annoucement.
    And then we'll all start carping again because it did/didn't have... or the color of the box was...
    I guess it's just the way we are

  15. #45
    Registered User ivanze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    South America
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by Davewriter View Post
    Wow! A tough crowd. Two years ago Siggraph was in Canada - no LW and all the talk was "this is it. They're going down." A year later and LW has a hot booth, first thing you see on the way in and all was good.

    Not that I don't love our friends up north, but two years back, the show wasn't as big and LW wasn't the only team not making an appearance. Let's face it. Siggraph is a really expensive show to do. And if the attendence isn't as large, nor is the visablity there... then why not wait a year and better use some money?

    Last year I don't believe there was a Maya booth. So did that mean they're going away? I'm guessing not. They didn't have anything to show, so they used the space for Motionbuilder.

    It's not as if we never hear from LW. Cody, Matt & Lino are still posting tuts. They still answer questions asked here.
    Sure, I wish I were listed in Rob's email listings. It'd be cool to see what's being worked on. But how helpfull is that to the company?
    This last weekend Zbrush had a great show. At heart it was the annoucement of 4 R7. But even with the demos they had - no questions were taken. And they went out of their way to Not Promise that anything they were showing would actually be in the release.
    So I have a pretty good feeling that LW crew is still working on things. And I'm guessing that when they have bits rather bolted together well - there will be a grand annoucement.
    And then we'll all start carping again because it did/didn't have... or the color of the box was...
    I guess it's just the way we are
    Totally agree with you.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •