Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long will the vhs tapes last ?

My question is How long can you keep your VHS Player working?

I was doing a historic piece and went to a tv station that had 1" magnetic tape of news and presidential acts of the late 70's, the material was kept under very controlled conditions but it was very deteriorated, much more than they themselves expected, as we were transfering the material the magnetic dust was flaking off from the tape, it was very sad to see, I truly hope they have all this backed up by now (at the time they didn't!). Older material was in much better shape as it was stored on film.

Even if you store the tapes under the most ideal conditions, and take all of the precautions mentioned above, the Earth's magnetic field will eventually erase the tapes. The sooner you convert to digital, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by steve0077 View Post
    My question is How long can you keep your VHS Player working?
    For quite a long time, especially if it is not used. The main culprit is dirt. Before using, especially if it was in storage for a long time, is take the cover off it and use rubbing alcohol to clean the heads and rubber wheels. Then use light oil and lubricate the wheels. Just don't over do it, a few drops should do.

Even though it is still possible to get parts for most vhs players, by the time you add in shipping, it probably would be cheaper to just by a new one. Today a player is more important than a recorder. As you want to get the media onto a computer rather than the other way around. Unless the person your dealing with is 60+ odds are they have a dvd player.
    Silkrooster.com - temporarily offline due to updating...
    Spinquad Forum - Closed Sorry...
    lightwave-resources.pdf - - temporarily offline due to updating...

Besides having a VCR, you'll also need a good digital /analogue converter and a TBC (time base corrector). I've seen some of the cheep D/A converters they sell at Best Buy, they don't do that good a job. I have a couple of different ones at work, one is a Grass Valley ADVC-300 another is a Black Magic. The both do a fantastic job. The ADVC-300 has a TBC in it as well as a software interface that can adjust the input signal. For the Black Magic I use an external TBC unless I'm using one of the VCRs that have an internal TBC.
    For Is and Is-not though with Rule and Line
    And UP-AND-DOWN by Logic I define,
    Of all that one should care to fathom, I
    was never deep in anything but--Wine.

I wonder if a tabernacle would be any good for storing video, it would make for an interesting experiment, though I guess it's the subject matter that would be key to preservation.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Blog Entries
    zip lock baggies, in a box, in a cool place.
    Is where I store my VHS, And Beta tapes, a couple hundred of em, and have taken a few out and they still play really good..

unplug the VHS and beta tape players..
    or..
    I store mine in there box..
    Intel Core i7-980, OC 4.7ghz water cooled.
    Gigabyte x58-UD3R with an Intell SSD 180GIG
    RamCorsair-DDR3-1600-32GIG
    Nvidia Titan Z, x 2 And 1 GTX-1080 by Gigabyte.
    4xEnterprise/WDVelociRaptorŪ300gig

Quote Originally Posted by Oedo 808 View Post
    I wonder if a tabernacle would be any good for storing video, it would make for an interesting experiment, though I guess it's the subject matter that would be key to preservation.
    Funny, Just imagining the 11th commandment now; "Thou shalt be kind and rewind."

Quote Originally Posted by sandman300 View Post
    one is a itensity Shuttle USB 3.0 another is a Black Magic.
    The Grass Valley ADVC-300 seems to be discontinued. Can you recommended a current version?
    If not which Black Magic and TBC do you use?

Cheers

I use the Intensity Pro, But if you are on a mac or a laptop, I'd go with one of the Intensity Shuttles, You just need to make sure you have either thunderbolt or USB3.

I have one of these DataVideo and a bigger one that has a multiple in and out. I have that one hooked into a I/O matrix for easy routing.

The ADVC-300 is the only unit that I know of that know of that has a TBC built in. If I had to guess why the ADVC-300 was discontinued it would probably be because it lacked any sort of copy protection (something that would prevent the unauthorized duplication of copyrighted material). There are still some around.. I saw 2 today on ebay. The newer devices with HDMI I/O recognize the copy-protection signals.

Edit: I found the other one http://www.evsonline.com/datavideo-t...-switcher.html

Quote Originally Posted by sandman300 View Post
    I use the Intensity Pro, But if you are on a mac or a laptop, I'd go with one of the Intensity Shuttles, You just need to make sure you have either thunderbolt or USB3.

I have one of these DataVideo and a bigger one that has a multiple in and out. I have that one hooked into a I/O matrix for easy routing.

The ADVC-300 is the only unit that I know of that know of that has a TBC built in. If I had to guess why the ADVC-300 was discontinued it would probably be because it lacked any sort of copy protection (something that would prevent the unauthorized duplication of copyrighted material). There are still some around.. I saw 2 today on ebay. The newer devices with HDMI I/O recognize the copy-protection signals.

Edit: I found the other one http://www.evsonline.com/datavideo-t...-switcher.html
    Thanks for the links.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12