Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is anyone trying to briidge the Houdini Engine in to Lightwave?

Put up A Poll for it, see if interest is strong enough!
    Then suggest a group-buy in option for the Coders?

I do know that its hold two copies in RaM,so a large
    healthy dose of RaM would be needed. Having said
    that Mem so preety cheap these days.

I do think that the days are approaching for LW lite & LW Turbo
    inside the twelve cycle.(GPU accel,Cards,64bit Maths & more Ram)
    Last edited by ianr; 10-26-2014 at 10:07 AM.

autohotkey is also an option.

the bad thing is that AHK can be slow for certain things,
    however, the good thing about AHK is that you can control just about anything in a LightWave <> Houdini workflow

as far as Houdini Engine for LW, in many cases LightWave would simply be to slow,
    LW would need, and does need, to be made faster.

NewTek started something that was supposed to go into LightWave, called Hydra
    not sure if that is still happening... maybe...

but again, do take a look at AHK to improve the LightWave <> Houdini workflow
    more on AHK > http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....er-guide-video
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Must admit on the LW is to slow front, im not so sure. In some areas maybe but the underlying architecture is probably not any older than Max, AD has been working on excalibur for quite a few years to update Max but dont know how far they have got. Last time i looked a couple of years ago it was already 4 years in the making. Any Max users want to chip in.

I use LW but also have access to Max and i dont see that Max or indeed Maya for that matter is faster in many areas.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Like Erikals dropped in the 'H' word Hydra architecture ,, well its in Chronosculpt we know that
    so a hydra recieving & switching station & engine has gotta be the way to go?
    My point is a friendly artist driven gui in a Lightwave enviroment is a win win, firstly we get top Sims
    & a leg up, secondly Side effects get Another ally in the rally against the Moloch that is AutoDesk.

Listen-up Mr.Powers it's a winner!
    Last edited by ianr; 10-27-2014 at 10:18 AM.

Wasn't Dave Ikeda working on Chronosculpt and Hydra. I hope someone else is up to speed on it now Dave has gone.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Must admit on the LW is to slow front, im not so sure. In some areas maybe but the underlying architecture is probably not any older than Max, AD has been working on excalibur for quite a few years to update Max but dont know how far they have got. Last time i looked a couple of years ago it was already 4 years in the making. Any Max users want to chip in.

I use LW but also have access to Max and i dont see that Max or indeed Maya for that matter is faster in many areas.
    What tools are you comparing speedwise? Maya rigs and deformations are so much faster, especially when we are talking fps when the play button is pressed.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Agreed Jason, i was talking overall, but mostly Max. I had as much instability issues with Max as LW. I find performance slower or no better in Max than LW Layout, LW Modeler is another issue.

As i said some areas Max is faster but in other areas its not. Im not slagging off the software its just im saying its nearly as old in architecture as LW and like LW Core i dont see excalibur anywhere near on the horizon which was there to address these very issues.

HOT Ocean in LW runs well, although its a small part it shows that Houdini work in LW and it will depend more on the implementation than LW short comings which i admit are many.

Ive really gotten into Houdini after having foundation for a bit and its very powerful indeed for VFX work however the modeling in it i don't like, LW is still better with all its problems.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Agreed Jason, i was talking overall, but mostly Max. I had as much instability issues with Max as LW. I find performance slower or no better in Max than LW Layout, LW Modeler is another issue.

As i said some areas Max is faster but in other areas its not. Im not slagging off the software its just im saying its nearly as old in architecture as LW and like LW Core i dont see excalibur anywhere near on the horizon which was there to address these very issues.

HOT Ocean in LW runs well, although its a small part it shows that Houdini work in LW and it will depend more on the implementation than LW short comings which i admit are many.

Ive really gotten into Houdini after having foundation for a bit and its very powerful indeed for VFX work however the modeling in it i don't like, LW is still better with all its problems.
    I see. . . the last time I used max was 2013 the biggest difference I noticed is playback of deformed models was faster. That's probably the biggest issue I've had with lightwave animation workflow. Real time interactivity goes a long way with me.

There are so many modeling options out there I really wouldn't let that keep me from using a program that was weak in that area as long as it didn't interfere with my animation workflow.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Agreed and apart from modeling, which is more a case of maturity than function Houdini is a fantastic piece of kit.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Reviving from Necro:
    Traffic from the Side Effects Forum.
    It's a great quote from the Houdini pro.

You'll take heart!

QUOTE:

Dulo
    Houdini Expert
    austria.gif
    PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:24 pm GMT Post subject: Reply with quote
    kamesan wrote:
    i would love to have Houdini Engine into Lightwave.
    Great Combo!

I think so too.
    They are quite complementary.
    One is quick to setup but very inflexible, the other is extremely flexible but very time consuming in the setup phase ..

hm, so some are giving it a go...? cool... :]
    https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?opt...wtopic&t=37536

let's see...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I hope he gets past the DLL problem. Look forward to seeing progress.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12