KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Very interesting, so now we have ...

1. Lightwave sweet native renders
    2. Kray
    3. Octane
    4. arnold
    5. Renderman

Only missing vray and bringing back some fprime features in to VPR maybe.
    Renderwise..Lighwave and third party options seem to be better than ever before I guess, but I think one of the most important ones are missing..as mentioned, Vray.

guess we have to appoint juanjo the hero of the year opening up all this stuff (octane,arnold, and renderman)to work with lighwave.

Edit...I forgot
    6. maxwell with the fast fire previewer.

CORE is Magic!!! --Look at how it's still got us arguing after all these years.

Ya, one of its features was eternal frustration.
    The LW Beast From the East

Eh, what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon2.0 View Post
    Selective memory? Perhaps you should check over at CGTalk and review the old threads there that were discussing CORE and many of the old-timers who'd left were saying positive things (yeah, POSITIVE) about LW....
    What does that have to do with anything?

And they were only convoluted concepts to people who did not understand what was going on.
    That's a matter of opinion, isn't it. Nevertheless: I was there, I loved the idea, I liked some of the concepts and tools, I've said my piece already, but this doesn't change the fact: CORE never worked. After a whole year it was still little more than a tech demo. So, to bring it up now, saying how awesome it could have been if only, because it was so awesome, and it would have changed everyone's life and brought peace to the world and did I mention it was awesome? That's selective memory, mate - a bit like saying that the music from the '80s was twenty times better than the stuff we're getting now, because our brain (conveniently) tends to bypass all the crappy, horrible, eardrums-insulting stuff that went around back then. We have some good music right now, and we're getting Octane Render and Arnold and Renderman: sod the past.

ADP.

Quote Originally Posted by alexos View Post
    What does that have to do with anything?
    Well let's see... I said:

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon2.0
    ...CORE had many who use those other apps actually LOOKING at Lightwave and some vets who'd left looking at LW again. ...
    And then YOU said:
    Quote Originally Posted by alexos
    Ah come on now guys, enough with the selective memory thingie.
    So... THAT's what it has to do with.

That's a matter of opinion, isn't it. Nevertheless: I was there, I loved the idea, I liked some of the concepts and tools, I've said my piece already, but this doesn't change the fact: CORE never worked. After a whole year it was still little more than a tech demo.
    It worked quite a bit better than that, but that's your opinion.
    So, to bring it up now, saying how awesome it could have been if only, because it was so awesome, and it would have changed everyone's life and brought peace to the world and did I mention it was awesome?
    LOL... I really was expecting to see CORE bring world peace. Perhaps my expectations were too high?
    That's selective memory, mate - a bit like saying that the music from the '80s was twenty times better than the stuff we're getting now, because our brain (conveniently) tends to bypass all the crappy, horrible, eardrums-insulting stuff that went around back then.
    Well it WAS better.

We have some good music right now, and we're getting Octane Render and Arnold and Renderman: sod the past.
    Well, there is SOME good music right now. And I will agree, the rendering front is bright. Too bad LW can't handle very large datasets. At least we know Arnold can.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    That's a matter of opinion, isn't it. Nevertheless: I was there, I loved the idea, I liked some of the concepts and tools, I've said my piece already, but this doesn't change the fact: CORE never worked. After a whole year it was still little more than a tech demo. So, to bring it up now, saying how awesome it could have been if only, because it was so awesome, and it would have changed everyone's life and brought peace to the world and did I mention it was awesome? That's selective memory, mate - a bit like saying that the music from the '80s was twenty times better than the stuff we're getting now, because our brain (conveniently) tends to bypass all the crappy, horrible, eardrums-insulting stuff that went around back then. We have some good music right now, and we're getting Octane Render and Arnold and Renderman: sod the past.
    ADP.
    THANK YOU.

Considering how awesome the 11.n series has been, and THAT'S JUST A HOLDING ACTION for LW12, I'm pretty damn optimistic about LW. --Except for the dox.

Also, about music: we don't listen to the rubbish of the 1700s, we listen to only the very best. Because DARWIN, that's why.

(Actually, technically not, but I'm sure y'all get it....damn science pedants.....)
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

but this doesn't change the fact: CORE never worked. After a whole year it was still little more than a tech demo.
    How awesome was Modo after 3 to 4 years of development (since CORE was in development for 2 to 3 years before it was revealed)? It was being released as a modeler only after 3+ years of development. Had CORE been only a modeler at that point, they might have been comparable. But CORE was also being released with rendering, animation, simulation, modifier stack, full scene/node graph.... The question should also be, what would CORE have looked like if it had not been discontinued and still being developed today? Well, probably more then that tech demo.

BTW, music from the 80's is still better then a lot of the crap that is coming out today.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    How awesome was Modo after 3 to 4 years of development (since CORE was in development for 2 to 3 years before it was revealed)? It was being released as a modeler only after 3+ years of development. Had CORE been only a modeler at that point, they might have been comparable. But CORE was also being released with rendering, animation, simulation, modifier stack, full scene/node graph.... The question should also be, what would CORE have looked like if it had not been discontinued and still being developed today? Well, probably more then that tech demo.
    What he said.
    BTW, music from the 80's is still better then a lot of the crap that is coming out today.
    Definitely!

(We may not agree on Adobe, but where LW is concerned we're at eye level. )

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Why are we arguing about CORE when we should be arguing about how the Amiga was mis-managed?
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Very interesting, so now we have ...

1. Lightwave sweet native renders
    2. Kray
    3. Octane
    4. arnold
    5. Renderman

Only missing vray and bringing back some fprime features in to VPR maybe.
    Renderwise..Lighwave and third party options seem to be better than ever before I guess, but I think one of the most important ones are missing..as mentioned, Vray.

guess we have to appoint juanjo the hero of the year opening up all this stuff (octane,arnold, and renderman)to work with lighwave.

Edit...I forgot
    6. maxwell with the fast fire previewer.
    Kray is getting a big update that is supposedly revolutionary.....

Lw 3rd party has taken a huge leap forward in recent years, turbulence4d, octane, syflex...not to mention Rhigget, RR retargeter, and the up and coming Hurley AP

I spoke to Gerard at syflex recently and he is working on an implementation of syMimic for lightwave (a style of sySkin) which should help with deformations and skinning.

Quote Originally Posted by m.d. View Post
    Kray is getting a big update that is supposedly revolutionary.....

Lw 3rd party has taken a huge leap forward in recent years, turbulence4d, octane, syflex...not to mention Rhigget, RR retargeter, and the up and coming Hurley AP

I spoke to Gerard at syflex recently and he is working on an implementation of syMimic for lightwave (a style of sySkin) which should help with deformations and skinning.
    yeah..sounds exciting, and at the end of the year, I think it will be time for some serious research on all render engines with comparison tables in order to see what each one can do for you and if pricing motivates each one etc.
    good to see octane being marketing within lightwave bundles for newcomers anyway.

the CORE GUI looks good, nt should add that as an option for v12.

Well, this came out in 1993 but I thought that's close enough to the 80's to show what was going on instrument wise from rock geniuses back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbSltmTaK6Y
    "I don't have it... you want half my omelette?"

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon2.0 View Post
    Selective memory? Perhaps you should check over at CGTalk and review the old threads there that were discussing CORE and many of the old-timers who'd left were saying positive things (yeah, POSITIVE) about LW and that they needed to keep looking at this "new version."
    I never seem to be able to get the site search using google to work, got a link to these threads?

Positivity on CGTalk regarding LightWave, that'd make a change.

Quote Originally Posted by octopus2000 View Post
    the CORE GUI looks good, nt should add that as an option for v12.
    Yeah, they should remove all the tools Core didn't have for that authentic experience.
    Last edited by Oedo 808; 08-13-2014 at 07:51 PM.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by Oedo 808 View Post
    I never seem to be able to get the site search using google to work, got a link to these threads?

Positivity on CGTalk regarding LightWave, that'd make a change.
    But damned if I know where they are. I just know I participated in them and was genuinely surprised at the many positive responses. Even after the horrible showing at the reveal there were many positive comments - VERY unlike the typical CGTalk attitude towards LW. I guess it was around 2010? Of course after they dropped CORE, the negative comments were back - and IMO some of them warranted, some not. But again... water under the bridge.

Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast