Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearing up for LW12?

I don't think I've ever heared Lightwave (12 years owning this product) be called a high end CG package. Newtek has always marketed it as a quick turnround tool with less hassle and high quality in some respects. Mostly the rendering capabilities. So chin up, LW is still in that kind of market, just that the more convoluted packages out there are becoming easier to use these days, which is bad for Lightwave gaining more ground.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Farhad_azer, Hello... and welcome to Lightwave. This is a troublesome thread to use as any measure of Lightwave or Newtek. The software has been around for awhile now and is still very capable. Easier to get into than most any other that I use. The trouble is that many of the "old timers" and malcontents have too much history and expectations and venting on the web is a bit like monkeys throwing s*** around, barely entertaining and certainly not the best representation of what monkeys are all about. There is a long standing history of Lightwave being two(2) apps, cobbled together with the Hub. Eventually, most think that it will become a more unified app, but it "bumps along" fairly well as is. The rendering engine is superb, texturing and nodes more intuitive than some others. There are some excellent plugins worth investigating to fill in some of the gaps, RebelHill, DPont, LWCad, just to name a few. Look around at the Gallery and the work before letting some "slash and burn" thread derail your interest. It would help if Lightwave management contributed some light, but they feel burned by some previous efforts and in a competitive market, everybody tends to keep their cards close to themselves. Believe me, this is not the best thread to judge any of Lightwaves potential, now or in the future. I keep using it, along with modo, Blender, 3DCoat, some ZBrush, and come back to it repeatedly to get the job done. Best to you.
    Paul
    An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind... Gandhi/MLKing
    Greater consciousness is worth the effort. Be aware.... so sayest the Animated Fool ~ HARTWORKS www.hartworks.net

Farhad_azer welcome to the lightwave community

lightwave is certainly quite capable, just look at the VFx work done on recent tv shows with lightwave as an example.
    All 3d apps have good and bad points, you'll find most forums have users talking more about what their app of choice is struggling with..it's a support forum
    after all

Newtek are aware and are addressing any short commings that their users bring up in conversations.
    there are some great 3rd party solutions to bridge any gaps with scripts and plugins.

most medium to large projects have a mixed pipeline these days so may get modelled in zbrush, painted in 3d coat, rigged and animated in lightwave or another app and rendered out in lightwave
    or might be rendered with a plugin renderer such as octane in lightwave.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Farhad_azer View Post
    i was hearing that LW is a competitor and is almost the best in some aspects.
    Sounds like you needed to do more due diligence.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    Apparently they are as one of the Programming Skills bullet points for this new hire is. "Experience with the Qt multi-platform toolkit is a plus." Current LW sure doesn't use Qt.
    Well, these .dlls are loaded into both Layout.exe and Modeler.exe's process spaces: QtCore4.dll, QtGui4.dll, QtXml4.dll.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Obviously not enough since you said yourself you were listening other users opinion more than yourself .
    Merely confirmation.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWyatt View Post
    And you are still full of sh**. Good to know that some things never change. Just hoped you would. Bummer.
    What no red faces.

Banned
    ...and your language has changed.,,,WTF.

Banned
    luv ya, N.

Quote Originally Posted by Farhad_azer View Post
    Fellas
    But the feeling that i got from this thread was simply "discouragement" .
    Hi Farhad, Lightwave is still a very capable package especially in the hands of experienced users. However, if you look at the announcements for the incoming Siggraph by other vendors, it is clear that the game has moved on.

Lightwave need a complete rewrite and a substantially upgraded architecture to stay relevant. That is why we need LW12 to be mindblowingly good and we need it fast. Failing that I really don't see LW getting another chance...
    Last edited by sukardi; 08-08-2014 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    thanks for the positive notes

so you do like me...!
    Yes I do mate! It's not all black or white. There are many shades of gray.

Quote Originally Posted by Every4thPixel View Post
    Yes I do mate! It's not all black or white. There are many shades of gray.
    Somewhere between forty-nine and fifty-one?
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by tburbage View Post
    Well, these .dlls are loaded into both Layout.exe and Modeler.exe's process spaces: QtCore4.dll, QtGui4.dll, QtXml4.dll.
    Yep and indeed some Qt is evident in the software too, -see attached- just not in the main part of what we would call the application interface.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qt_stuff.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	123575  

Thanks for your kind replies.

I will definitley work hard with LW and going to stick with it.

the office that i am working (actually was working) had 3dsmax and they were using it for mainly architectural visualizations.i also know how to use max but don't have it in my home. and honestly don't have desire and time (and money) to spend on it.

I was thinking maybe by LightWave i can create more impressive imagery than what they did, and agree that the artist is the more important factore than the software itself.

But i am still on the negative impression of this thread.

Cheers

all this talk about lightwave's future sounds so gloomy. is lightwave12 going to kick a$s? is lightwave still going to be around in 5 years? softimage was an excellent software and got killed off and autodesk is a big company and they still killed a great software.
    Last edited by octopus2000; 08-08-2014 at 10:18 AM.

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast