Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearing up for LW12?

I thought Chronosculpt really was/is a step in the right direction, but David leaving is just another "nail in the coffin" for me where LW is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by robertoortiz View Post
    One of the Nastiest thing I have ever seen In all the years covering 3d is the article 3d World Magazine wrote about a WIP version of CORE. It was plan and simple a "hit piece" .
    That really was an undeserved and nasty piece of work and In my opinion it helped kill CORE .
    Here is what I am talking about..
    http://forums.newtek.com/archive/ind.../t-111598.html
    It permanently soured NT in terms of sharing what they are working for and frankly I don't blame them.
    Wasn't this article written by Newtek's very own BeeVee? He was just being honest.
    Not trying to lynch Ben, I think what he was saying was just the truth!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Wasn't this article written by Newtek's very own BeeVee? He was just being honest.
    Not trying to lynch Ben, I think what he was saying was just the truth!
    I hadn't realized that, makes it even more funny it should be described as a hit piece.

If only those who thought Core was amazing could gather the funding, they could fund a new 3D app written from the ground up, maybe they could open a Kickstarter campaign, given the expectations I've seen on here regarding software development, I reckon a $50 target ought to do it, would be good to see how they get on.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    every4thpixel - of course Rebelhill - i am sorry how did i forget his name..excuse me Rebel - you know you are ALMOST GODLIKE in character animation..and just like many others i have nothing but respect...to his work. and many others.

On Erikals though - he is THE ONE who has never ending passion to try and show new things without any commercial feedback. I dont know but i guess he has hundreds of videos of the things - that ANY user must see. I watch his youtube channel like a TV show honestly - weekly. Because when he shows or try to do something i know that he is helping my business. He could do that on his own.

Also he has a huge database - info about LW, plugins and an amazing contributor. Ask a question on anything - if he knows the answer, he replies or he replies with the source that where you can learn your answer. I feel like i rely on ERIKALS youtube channel more than LW's own PDF file... So he deserves credit and more...
    +1
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.

what's stopping newtek from just rebuilding lightwave from the ground up?

Quote Originally Posted by octopus2000 View Post
    I would imagine the fact that I, and even the people who say "what's stopping newtek from just rebuilding lightwave from the ground up?" won't wait that long.

Quote Originally Posted by octopus2000 View Post
    They are as far as I understand. So nothing is stopping them.

First, this is a long process, second they also have to balance having something they can market along the way. And the second adds more time to the first. But it is the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Except, y'know, we were there and testing it.
    Yes, we were, and not all of us thought it was a crock. There are still customers left here who believe it was the right decision then, and by all indications, still a better plan than any attempted since.

Sadly, it increasingly appears that Roth was correct: The window to turn LW's fortunes around closed with CORE's cancelation, and the rest will just turn out to be an extended swan song.
    Last edited by jwiede; 08-07-2014 at 02:25 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

They already started re-writing it for a bit now. Instancing, bullet in 11.x etc could not happen otherwise. They are just doing it in a careful way to allow modest updates to happen without it all falling over. As more of the code structure is modernised and replaced, the more obvious to us it will be that deep changes are happening offering us improved and new functionality. That's what I think. Hopefully they have spent good time on the re-design and not let it become the LW6 botched attempt the old team did. LW12 which I presume will be out in the next couple of years, I'm guessing will be a very different but similar beast. I try and be a optimist. Meanwhile Houdini Indie is calling by credit card to buy it and Cinema 4d Studio looks cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by BokadCastle View Post
    Bollocks...you didn't get it then and still don,t.
    What killed CORE was the intrusion of cretins into the HardCore forums, poisoning the whole experience.

HardCore is for the one-percenters who would do anything to succeed.

Irrelevance is the only thing you excel at, Ortiz - just like madness was to Megadon and red devils to Mr Wyatt.

The change presented by CORE was too much for the feeble-minded like you - go on, admit it.

And you are still full of sh**. Good to know that some things never change. Just hoped you would. Bummer.
    www.mrwyatt.de
    lighting & rendering supervisor at
    Ambient Entertainment

current project

IMDB

Quote Originally Posted by motivalex View Post
    They already started re-writing it for a bit now.
    Apparently they are as one of the Programming Skills bullet points for this new hire is. "Experience with the Qt multi-platform toolkit is a plus." Current LW sure doesn't use Qt.

There are already loads of qt related files in the LightWave installation. Not sure what they're for currently, but there are plenty of them.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Yes, we were, and not all of us thought it was a crock. There are still customers left here who believe it was the right decision then, and by all indications, still a better plan than any attempted since.

Sadly, it increasingly appears that Roth was correct: The window to turn LW's fortunes around closed with CORE's cancelation, and the rest will just turn out to be an extended swan song.
    In what way do you think that window is closed? I wonder if LightWave is losing such a vast amount of money, if it isn't then the window is as open as it always was. Instead of winding down current LightWave sales and yet still paying the current development team while they build anew, could they not just hire a completely new team? Rather than moving current LightWave into new product territory with next to no income and user base, they can still simply make a new product, like Core, and launch it in ten years. Going on the assumption that this is a viable course for the development path of LightWave, why could it not be so with an entirely new development even now?

If it is losing vast amounts then there isn't and appreciable user base to worry about diminishing or any significant change in development cost to worry about so the window is still there, and in that case at least they wouldn't have to avoid managing people's expectations.

I'm not sure what has changed, was it the advance sales of Core that made it possible?

Fellas

I am new to this community and i should say that this thread was the most dissapointing and sad thing that i have read in my entire life of involving with 3d graphics.

I have almost zero artistic taste and rely only on my technical background. i was hearing that LW is a competitor and is almost the best in some aspects.

Thu i could not read all answers but from what i read it was conveying that LW is way below than what i knew.

I absolutely understand my level and confess that i am not in a position to make comparison on high-end topics.

But the feeling that i got from this thread was simply "discouragement" .

farhad dont worry mate..lw is very cool app with lots of amazing plugins and rendering options... just relax... there are some old issues... and think about that lw is not another 3d app...it has too much drama...twists and turns....

if i know a bit about this forum...soon rob powers will visit here...clarify some issues...people will be ok till next siggraph...

so we are having a pre siggraph period..

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast