Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearing up for LW12?

LW3D Group gearing up for LW12?

I just saw this posting on the NT site for a Modeling Developer: https://www.lightwave3d.com/careers/
    Looks like we won't be seeing Modeler improvements in 11.7 - again.
    Last edited by Snosrap; 08-01-2014 at 02:07 PM.

People keep saying they are tired of **** being tacked on and we were never likely to see anything other than that if anything had been added prematurely, I guess the soil is becoming fertile enough to start growing judiciously. Here's hoping that this is just so.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Unfortunately, we've not seen any indication yet that things aren't still being tacked on as development moves forward. For whatever reason, LW3DG seems content with simply adding to LW instead of fixing things on its foundation (SDK) which would be more beneficial in the long run. And wasn't David I working on a new geometry core for LW? Now he's left Newtek so it just makes me wonder if that is still in the works. It also makes me wonder if the next release of LightWave, LW12 in this instance, won't be more bolted on features instead of real system wide and foundation improvements. If there's not significant changes then it will be time for me to find a software alternative that realizes that foundation improvements are more important then a bullet list of new features.

I can't disagree, well because anything anyone says is a possibility, no matter how negative, not that I think you're being particularly negative, just that maintaining radio silence has unavoidable pitfalls which makes it a poor choice. I was just thinking that if anyone was hoping for anything sooner, aside from the fact that it would be reaching for a point release anyway, then tacked would likely be all that we're going to get.

About for things being better placed to add in new tools, well it just a bit of optimistic supposition, that we've seen little to suggest it means little in itself because I wouldn't expect there to be an indicator other than it happening, but at the same time, that we've seen little to suggest it means just that, beyond the ageing destination and vehicle comment, nothing. If others feel as you do and that shows, perhaps that pattern will convince that they need that managing expectations isn't limited to the task of keeping people from expecting too much. I'm not sure where my getting off point would be.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Oedo 808 "I'm not sure where my getting off point would be."

Maybe you should do a "parallel change over" like NewTek said they were going to do for LightWave about 6 years ago?
    "I don't have it... you want half my omelette?"

Yeah my intent is not to be negative, just stating how I'm seeing things currently. I didn't expect a lot of significant change in LW 10 or LW 11 as far as overall system changes as I figured those would take a substantial amount of time after they chose to go a different route then rewriting the software from scratch. But I feel there's been enough time to at least show some indication of real change in LW12. And when I say change, I'm not just talking about putting modeling tools in Layout or putting Lights in modeler or something that just attempts to bridge gaps between having 2 separate applications. Sometimes I get the sense that when people talk about integration on the forums or elsewhere that an integrated LightWave means having modelers tools in Layout and that's about as far as it goes. If the plan were to be simply adding modeling tools to Layout just so you don't have to go to modeler to make some geometry changes or edits, then that's missing the point. I'm talking about real changes that propagate through the entire system, not just feature specific. Sort of like adding gizmos to new modeling tools in LightWave 11.5 instead of creating a gizmo type in the SDK that any of modelers tools (or other features) can access.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    And wasn't David I working on a new geometry core for LW? Now he's left Newtek so it just makes me wonder if that is still in the works.
    David has left?

David has left?? Worse news ever... at least from the outside, which, albeit, is a very limited perspective, but I am stuck with it barring any communication. He gave me a glimmer of hope with the short lived thread on "new modeling" engine at the core of NevronoChronoSomething. The thread disappeared, as it may have revealed to much, now David. If I was anyway into psychology, I might speculate about the "old beast" who eats it's children rather than allow them to surpass him in development, thus spawning years of developers who have gone off to create (insert products names here). It is almost "mythic" in scope. Come on Newtek, please tell me that there is hope for the next generation.
    An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind... Gandhi/MLKing
    Greater consciousness is worth the effort. Be aware.... so sayest the Animated Fool ~ HARTWORKS www.hartworks.net

World's Tallest Dwarf safetyman's Avatar
    It will be very difficult for me to recommend upgrades to our existing LW versions with bolted on minor new features. We've been slowing integrating other software into our little group that just works -- it's frustrating trying to tell newbies that they can't render from Modeler or that they have to go back to Layout to see what their textures will look like. It's not like Newtek relies on us to make their mortgage payments, so I doubt we'll be missed, but I hang around here hoping to see some major improvements. I always wonder if Core had continued to be developed what LW would look like today. Living in the past, I know, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    David has left?
    yeah. I imagine thats why they posted a modeling engineer opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    David has left?
    He left. You can see info on his facebook page and here - http://www.rendering.de - "LW Group sucht" article.
    - Architectural Visualizations -

Not a great news, but i'm always prepared for the worst, future aint so bright, writings on the wall.

Peace

Maybe there is an elephant in the room: will Newtek leave Lightwave as it is and focus on the broader suite instead such as supersculpt, next amazingmotion etc?

Should be an interesting Siggraph...

There are so many rich modeling solutions available, I am fine with Newtek concentrating on rendering, surfacing, layout, deformations and in-camera modeling. Rhiggit 2 gives Layout new life and I am really hoping to see integrated render pass management and performance gains for 11.7.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Sometimes I get the sense that when people talk about integration on the forums or elsewhere that an integrated LightWave means having modelers tools in Layout and that's about as far as it goes. If the plan were to be simply adding modeling tools to Layout just so you don't have to go to modeler to make some geometry changes or edits, then that's missing the point.
    That's enough for me for lw 12, 13, 14.
    It has to start with the ability to add workflow and gui elements in layout for modelling tools(selection, manipulation of vertex, edges, polys) which it currently doesn't have. Deformers and other modules(sculpting, etc) can be added on later like what we see in 3dmax, cinema4d, modo, blender.

If David did leave that's ok. He didn't do any development on layout. He developed for modeller ever since and chrono later on.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast