Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model Mirroring

Question Model Mirroring

I'm currently modeling, and I made an object, which looks good but I want to find a way to duplicate it and mirror it so it's the exact opposite of how it is. (As a separate object) Does anyone know how/if this can be done?

Use the Mirror tool.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

I'll look around some more, but I haven't found anything that actually showed me what the Mirror tool did, or how to use it.

www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

I'll check it out, thanks!

could you scale it to -100% on the x axis, you might have to flip the normals after. I'm not at my computer right now but I think that will work.
    For Is and Is-not though with Rule and Line
    And UP-AND-DOWN by Logic I define,
    Of all that one should care to fathom, I
    was never deep in anything but--Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman300 View Post
    could you scale it to -100% on the x axis, you might have to flip the normals after. I'm not at my computer right now but I think that will work.
    That seems to work. Using the Mirror tool is quicker though, haha.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

What's the problem with the mirror tool here? It's the obvious solution, just use it.

Nothing wrong with the mirror tool. You just need to remember to have weld points off and then delete the original or conversly cut the new geometry and paste to a new object/layer.
    im assuming that the object is not symmetrical. In which case it would be easier to scale it.

I've had situations where subpatched objects / polygons didn't mirror properly, did you encounter this before? Am I doing something wrong mirroring subpatched objects? Toggling subpatch mode before mirroring doesn't seem to help (see example screenshot). By the way DJ I love your art work! Cheers

Attachment 123513

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    I've had situations where subpatched objects / polygons didn't mirror properly, did you encounter this before? Am I doing something wrong mirroring subpatched objects? Toggling subpatch mode before mirroring doesn't seem to help (see example screenshot). Attachment 123513
    Don't use CC subpatches. If you absolutely need to weight an edge, mirror is first and then weight your edges. The most reliable method of sharpening edges is to add loop slices and just use the normal subpatch mode everything will mirror fine and render fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    Don't use CC subpatches. If you absolutely need to weight an edge, mirror is first and then weight your edges. The most reliable method of sharpening edges is to add loop slices and just use the normal subpatch mode everything will mirror fine and render fine too.
    Snosrap, thanks. But why shouldn't I use CC? It appears to me (imho) that it looks finer using CC compared to normal Subpatch mode...? What I do often so sharpen an edge is just to press e - works fine as long as I don't mirror. Try it, this happens not only with CC... I know to use edge loops but I find pressing e is a quick way creating sharpened edges, is this wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Snosrap, thanks. But why shouldn't I use CC? It appears to me (imho) that it looks finer using CC compared to normal Subpatch mode...? What I do often so sharpen an edge is just to press e - works fine as long as I don't mirror. Try it, this happens not only with CC... I know to use edge loops but I find pressing e is a quick way creating sharpened edges, is this wrong?
    There is your problem, I though I knew what it was by the picture you posted but you confirmed it. When you press e (extend) you need to move the poly at least a little. Otherwise if you merge points or mirror with weld points checked, the polygons you created with the extend will weld together and become 2 point polys, which do not work for either subpatch or CC.

Instead of extend many times I will use Bandsaw pro.
    For Is and Is-not though with Rule and Line
    And UP-AND-DOWN by Logic I define,
    Of all that one should care to fathom, I
    was never deep in anything but--Wine.

CC's are finer because the math is totally different. A single polygon in regular subpatch mode at level 3 gets translated internally as 9 polys. The same polygon in CC mode at a level 3 gets translated internally to 64 polygons. So yes CC's can appear smoother but it's because of this math difference. The bottom line is that the levels that you select are not apples to apples with each subpatch algorithm. Haven't you noticed the performance hit with CC's?

Thanks Sandman and Snosrap, this makes perfect sense. From now on I will only use e & t :-) I use Bandsaw and for single cuts Knife or Connect. I will do some comparison between CC and SP. I'm trying model with quads only but allow myself a few ngons in some situations, so therefore CC... still working on having a good polyflow. Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast