Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: fiberfx, I hate you

FiberFX in 11.6.3 had some issues so I pretty much stuck with 11.5.1 for FiberFX. (Documented elsewhere in these forums.)

Lightwave 2015 appears to have fixed those problems and adds some new features I've been asking for. (Like multi-sample lights compatibility. Still need to test that though.)

I just ran a simple test to check the crashing issue you're running into. I brought geometry into 11.6.2, applied FiberFX and rendered it--nothing fancy, just defaults. Then I brought the 11.6.2 scene into 2015 and rendered it. No crashing here and the images looked identical.

That said, whenever FiberFX got a major update in the past, scenes created in older versions tended to break because parameter might be read differently (i.e., more correctly) in the new release or new parameters were added. The biggest change that broke things was back when FiberFX was switched from being embedded in the .lws file to the .lwo file. (That happened early during the 11 cycle.) If you're having issues with older scenes, you'll probably need to strip the settings (Deactivate) and recreate them for 2015. That's probably not what you want to hear but try it and see if it works.

I'm sure you probably didn't do the following but just in case: don't copy and paste your old Lightwave configs to 2015. Bad, bad idea. I'm really just saying that in case anybody is thinking about it. This shouldn't be an issue since 2015 creates new configs in its own config directory, but if you're re-pointing to an older config directory via a custom shortcut, you'll want to rebuild those configs to be fully '2015-friendly'. This isn't just for FiberFX, it's a general Lightwave consideration.

FWIW, whenever we get back to working on 'Brudders', I'm kinda anticipating some new issue with migrating our 11.5.1 FiberFX scenes to 2015. If that becomes the case, we'll have no complaints about recreating our settings because having the new features we asked for should make it worth it. In theory, the improvements should mean we can dispense with some of the 'hacky' stuff we've been doing for softening shadows and for reducing noise. When we get around to it, we'll post an update to the Production Log covering our switch to 2015 for fur and hair. (This will probably happen after the holidays. Too much other work happening right now.)

One question: Are you on Mac or Win? I don't have any recent Mac experience so my comments above generally relate to using FiberFX with Win. Not that it shouldn't work on Mac, I just don't have that experience to confirm it.

And, yeah, as Jeric mentioned, be sure to report bugs with content attached to LW3DG. If they don't know about it or can't reproduce the issue, they can't fix it. In my experience, when I can clearly document and demonstrate a problem to them, they're pretty responsive about fixing it.

G.

If you're having issues with older scenes, you'll probably need to strip the settings (Deactivate) and recreate them for 2015. That's probably not what you want to hear but try it and see if it works.
    it's no big deal, unless you have 20+ fantastic FiberFX settings that you wanna use, but few LightWavers have that (>none?)

i'm just glad to read they fixed a lot of FiberFX stuff, which many asked for.

FiberFX working in Octane is awesome...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    One question: Are you on Mac or Win? I don't have any recent Mac experience so my comments above generally relate to using FiberFX with Win. Not that it shouldn't work on Mac, I just don't have that experience to confirm it.
    That's not a serious question is it?

Well I have another big animal illustration project possibly coming up so I though I'd try to get fiberfx to do something useful. I picked up my recently completed tiger and started to recreate the sasquatch fur in fiberfx. Crash, crash, crash. Maybe there was a problem using the LW9.6 scene and objects. I should simplify, I thought. I created a low-res subD ball in LW2015 and added a short fur to it. I wanted to save the settings so I clicked on "edit" and crash...

Every time I click edit, I get a crash. Is there no one beta testing on a Mac anymore?

Is your avatar the sasquatch fur you have worked on? If it is, congrats for that, looks great.
    And if you get the same results of your avatar using FiberFX, please, let me know! I would like to see that!!!

To me is very dificult to create short and realistic fur using FiberFx. I didnīt see any example that I liked.
    I am working in this little monkey right now, and that is what I got so far.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....=1#post1408889

And of course, I am not happy!
    Last edited by MAUROCOR; 12-03-2014 at 08:00 AM.
    Ground control to Major Tom

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sasquatch sample.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	475.0 KB 
ID:	125828

Yes, my avatar is my latest LW9.6 sasquatch illustration (plus post in photoshop of course.) I too have a difficult time with short realistic fur in fiberfx. I've created a decent horse's mane and tail in fiberfx and I rendered some handheld duster products that came out good, but every time I use fiberfx, I end up spending 3 or 4 times the amount of time I would spend in sasquatch creating the same effect. Either it crashes all the time or features don't work correctly. I've never had a properly working fiberfx on my mac.

Quote Originally Posted by cwarden View Post
    That's not a serious question is it?
    Yes, it is. Based on past user comments in the forums, FiberFX has been less stable on the Mac platform. I know FiberFX got a bit of love for 2015 but my experience at this time is limited to using it on the Win platform. I can only answer to how it works here on our computers but can't guarantee it works the same on other platforms. Naturally, FiberFX should perform the same on any platform but since 2015 just came out, I was trying to determine if the issues you're describing are specifically Mac version related. If so, it needs to be reported to LW3DG as such.

Re: Mac beta testers, I'm sure LW3DG has Mac beta testers but they may be a minority, thus FiberFX might not be getting tested as thoroughly for that platform. You might try applying to the beta program to see if they need additional Mac testers.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    Yes, it is. Based on past user comments in the forums, FiberFX has been less stable on the Mac platform.
    G.
    Geez... I just thought it was a silly question to ask someone who posted their issues in a LWMAC specific forum. If you don't use fiberfx on a MAC why would you be here? Self promotion?

Wow.

Fact is, I started out using Lightwave on the Mac and used the Mac version for many years. In more recent years, I just happen to run Lightwave on Win.

Will stay off this thread though.

G

Geez... I just thought it was a silly question to ask someone who posted their issues in a LWMAC specific forum. If you don't use fiberfx on a MAC why would you be here? Self promotion?
    a more polite conversation to someone willing to help would be more than welcome... i understand frustration but Greenlaw is above this kind of discussions and for sure is not going to drag you or himself into fooling or making fun of anyone.
    new web page up www.null.hr

Good luck with your problem, you just dissed the most thorough answer posted from a FFX expert...

I've had him comment before on my LWMAC threads that he doesn't have that problem on his Windows machine and then insert a link to his current project. It got to me.

FWIW one of the first things I tried after installing 2015 was pulling up some older 11.5 and 11.6 scenes featuring a bear character that has a couple of different FFX coats on him. No problems on either my Mac Pro or my MacBook Pro, crashing or otherwise. In fact the 11.5 stuff would crash if I tried to open it in 11.6 so that's a big improvement in stability.

Not sure what your specific issues are but I would expect supplying the dev team with scenes that reliably reproduce the crashes would go a long way toward helping them get to the bottom of the problem.

In reference to a comment upstream about saving old FFX configs and issues with them translating to new LW versions: when I had such issues I started saving screen shots of my favorite FFX settings panels, named with useful filenames to remember what they were for. It was clunky but enabled me to carry settings forward without using potentially corrupted or incompatible configs.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Scenes setup in previous versions of FiberFX are prone to crash fyi.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Quote Originally Posted by mav3rick View Post
    a more polite conversation to someone willing to help would be more than welcome... i understand frustration but Greenlaw is above this kind of discussions and for sure is not going to drag you or himself into fooling or making fun of anyone.
    I think cwarden's reply was plenty polite given the situation. Asking a Mac user (who also stated repeatedly they're on Mac) whether they use Win or Mac, on a thread in a Mac-specific forum, is pretty impolite in the first place.

In this Mac-specific forum, posts from Windows LW users going on and on about how well things work on their systems, often without even explicitly stating they're on a Win system (or even paying much attention to the contents of the OP's issue posting), are commonplace, and do not particularly qualify as "help".
    Last edited by jwiede; 12-04-2014 at 01:38 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

I've had him comment before on my LWMAC threads that he doesn't have that problem on his Windows machine and then insert a link to his current project. It got to me.
    I wouldn't fret too much over it, your responses seemed reasonable under the circumstances.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast