Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: License transfer fees come to LW, ChronoSculpt

Heffalump

License transfer fees come to LW, ChronoSculpt

Dear LightWave 3D Group Customer,

Effective August 1, 2014, a transfer fee of $100 per license will be required to transfer the original registration and ownership of any version of LightWave 3D or ChronoSculpt software to a new owner. The NevronMotion plugin, however, is tied directly to the LightWave 3D license and cannot be transferred separately.

Please email any transfer requests or inquiries to The LightWave 3D Group's customer support desk at [email protected]

We value your business and look forward to working with you in the future.

Rob Powers
    President
    LightWave 3D Group, a Division of NewTek, Inc.
    www.LightWave3D.com
    That's a bit of a shame.
    Inactive.

I don't mind there being a fee since it probably involves work on their end. $100 seems a bit steep though. But if someone was buying an old copy and jump upgrading they still get a good deal since LW's upgrade policy is so forgiving.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

I should update my Avatar Verlon's Avatar
    That is a bit of a shame. While a service fee is not unreasonable, $100 seems a bit steep for updating a database and adopting a new user. Users will also be more likely to shelve their old copies instead of the hassle of selling them.

Well, unless LW next blows everyone away with snazzy modeler updates and improved performance.
    Verlon Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4i3XnbEKBw&feature=plcp - shameless prommotion for my daughter's horror (by 4 year old standards) story.

Transfer license fee of $100 for LW....

I just got an e-mail from the LW Group. A new transfer policy is in place.

"Dear LightWave 3D Group Customer,

Effective August 1, 2014, a transfer fee of $100 per license will be required to transfer the original registration and ownership of any version of LightWave 3D or ChronoSculpt software to a new owner. The NevronMotion plugin, however, is tied directly to the LightWave 3D license and cannot be transferred separately.

Please email any transfer requests or inquiries to The LightWave 3D Group's customer support desk at [email protected]

We value your business and look forward to working with you in the future.

Rob Powers
    President
    LightWave 3D Group, a Division of NewTek, Inc"

I'm not sure what to think of this.

Other companies do the same thing. The Foundry allows one license transfer per year if you have a seat license and then after that it's 195 pounds ($330). I'm guessing Autodesk probably does something similar. I had a coworker who actually bought NukeX, I think he paid $8K - $10K for it, and has to pay a yearly maintenance fee of a few hundred for new versions and he was waiting around for the right time to come so he could transfer the license to another machine he had just bought. You'd think with that much money spent they'd throw you a bone and transfer your license how you want it. Nope. The Foundry and Nuke especially, really annoy me with their pricing. Their shortest rental term for Nuke is a ridiculous three-months. Anyway, I digress.

Following in MODO's path. MBAs are at it again. The thinking is, that they're losing out on a cut of the sale. If licenses had to be sold back to NewTek, then they could re-sell it and make another profit. With the sale going direct, this doesn't happen. Feels like they're losing out, so it's time to generate some income from the secondary market.

IMO, this isn't very "NewTek-like".

This move complicates the sale and ensures that the seller has a more difficult time closing a deal; usually when they need it the most, not to overlook that they often end up getting less for their license in order to make a sale at all; because it now costs another $100. Lines like the last in the message always get me. :/

I never got the expense part of this. Seriously? It takes $100 of time (IIRC, $150 in MODO's case) to change a database? Um, the companies are packed with programmers, by default. If it does take that long, it's time to at least partially, if not fully, automate the process.

• Set up a web interface for transfers.
    • Seller logs in and enters the appropriate Product Serial and Hardware Lock ID to be sold to check that they match.
    • Specifies an email address that is to whom the license will be sold.
    • Buyer creates an account using that email as the initial username.
    • Confirmations on signup go to that email and to the seller's email.
    • Seller confirms that this is the buyer and approves the transfer.

Not rocket surgery. I'm sure there are some enhancements that could be made but this is the skeleton concept.
    NewTek is again at the forefront of the industry by making things easy and affordable for their customers.
    Last edited by spherical; 07-24-2014 at 07:34 PM.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Those of you that are crying that Newtek and the LW3DGroup doesn't communicate with you enough, there you go.
    I got a license to sell, anyone interested. I believe that it is LW 10.1 Charter License.
    Last edited by willin; 07-24-2014 at 07:45 PM.

Newbie Member
    Wow, newteks greed knows no bounds!

I was selling two licenses for $270.00 each. NOT ONE RESPONSE. I think that tells you something. Now I'm supposed to add another $100.00 on top or lower the the price to $170.00 ???
    This must be a prank or a REALLY bad move from LW Group.
    "I don't have it... you want half my omelette?"

Heffalump
    I don't think it's greed, but I do think it's surprising after all this time and their previous touting of their user-friendly licensing model. I'm also curious how they will enforce this on ebay sales. It's going to be a rude surprise for any buyer. I guess this is also intended to squash all of those educational versions being resold as it is probably cheaper now to buy a new educational license.

So, it's a shame. It's not world-ending. The timing is strange coming up to SIGGY as well.
    Inactive.

Seems quite reasonable to me.

And greed? Really, some people need a reality check. LightWave is one of the more affordable 3D applications out there. And that's before you're given 4 FREE feature updates to LightWave 11.

I'm hoping this "pre SIGGY" announcement isn't because there's going to be a lack of features (or god forbid none at all and/or no new release and/or radio silence) for SIGGRAPH. So if there's a mass license sell off/dumping, there's still money to be made. And/or the $100 is an insurance policy to make people think twice about ditching their license.

Though this probably isn't likely since there wouldn't be a demand for people wanting to buy licenses if there wasn't some cool new stuff being shown at SIGGRAPH. Think positive!

Personally, I don't mind since I have no intention of selling the three licenses I own. $100 does sound a little steep for an admin fee but of course it's in LW3DG's interest to encourage new users purchase new licenses. They are a business after all--software costs money to develop, employees need to be paid, families need to be fed, etc., etc.,...

I really don't understand the 'greed' comment. Of all the major 3D programs out there (excluding the open source Blender,) Lightwave continues to be most affordable choice. The program's initial purchase fee is far less than the competition's fee, LW3DG doesn't charge an annual subscription fee, their licensing system is fairly liberal, they give users unlimited render nodes (okay, 999, but close enough,) and the occasional upgrade fee is quite reasonable considering the many free updates we get in-between versions. Even with the price increase (which, if I remember correctly, was a few years ago,) Lightwave is still a bargain.

But that's just a personal opinion of course.

G.

$100 to sit on their hands. I have to start a business like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    Personally, I don't mind since I have no intention of selling the three licenses I own. $100 does sound a little steep for an admin fee but of course it's in LW3DG's interest to encourage new users purchase new licenses. They are a business after all--software costs money to develop, employees need to be paid, families need to be fed, etc., etc.,...

I really don't understand the 'greed' comment. Of all the major 3D programs out there (excluding the open source Blender,) Lightwave continues to be most affordable choice. The program's initial purchase fee is far less than the competition's fee, LW3DG doesn't charge an annual subscription fee, their licensing system is fairly liberal, they give users unlimited render nodes (okay, 999, but close enough,) and the occasional upgrade fee is quite reasonable considering the many free updates we get in-between versions. Even with the price increase (which, if I remember correctly, was a few years ago,) Lightwave is still a bargain.

But that's just a personal opinion of course.

G.
    I agree completely (except that I have only once licence and not three ! )

Edit : this said, I found the mail from Mr. Powers a bit straight. No explanations (of course, they don't have to, but...), just the brute fact. I really miss the Hardcore times when we had some interaction with the team. The last time when there was some interaction was after Siggraph last year, I believe. Since then, we had non news or so few. There was a time when Rob hopped in the forums form time to time, and it made me consider NT/LW3DG different because of this proximity of the leading team with the users. Not anymore, alas. We don't even have a foreword in the newsletters...
    Last edited by CaptainMarlowe; 07-25-2014 at 12:02 AM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast