Thread: Cody Bullet tutorial: construction of example objects: surfacing ??

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Question Cody Bullet tutorial: construction of example objects: surfacing ??

In this tutorial:
    https://www.lightwave3d.com/learn/ar...rces-tutorial/

LW3dG's Cody demonstrates Bullet forces, but my question is about the example objects.

One object is a 'solid' rectangular array of cubes, that are disrupted by the Bullet objects. Each cube has a different color.

Obviously a user could create such an array by hand, but there are hundreds of cubes and I'm pretty sure Cody didn't Surface them all manually.

So, if one wanted to create a similar object, what's the practical way to differently surface dozens or hundreds of items?

Thanks.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Question

My first go at it is using "Python Instance Baker".... that I'm typing this shows you how fast it is, if indeed it isn't in some endless loop....

++++
    "Python Instance Baker" makes a COPY of each instance in the Scene: it does NOT generate a new LWO composed of duplicates of the instanced mesh. ::sigh::

Also, it's quite slow. And I don't know if it makes appropriate Surfaces if one is using Nodal Surface Instance Differentiation (NSID).

+++
    This is the effect I'm going after, but for hundreds of objects. This was manually done using the "Select N Pattern" facility:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manualArraySurfacing.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	123124

To reiterate: an Instance Baker that creates ONE object from all the instances of a given Generator.
    The cherry on top would be if it accurately created the proper Surfaces.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 07-19-2014 at 06:14 PM.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    D'uh! DPKit to the rescue. Damn, that took a while for the dawn to break.....

Still, I'm sure there's some way to do it Olde School: probably something like the plugin used to make the wires for the Speedmodeling competition....

If you look at the 11.6 addendum, page 68, there's a whole explanation of how to texture instances. Y'know? RTFM?

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Hi BeeVee: in this case I wanted to do it Olde School. Used "Select N Pattern" to facilitate.

I don't THINK these are Instances, if you are using the specific form of the term. Cody doesn't specify that I heard. And Bullet doesn't work with Instances anyway, n'est ce pas? So, using an Instance solution wouldn't apply anyway.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 07-21-2014 at 10:14 AM.