Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trying to achieve this look..

trying to achieve this look..

is it possible to achieve this look with LW?

http://vimeo.com/ondemand/makingpaper/98014841

could anyone guide me through setting up the GI / Radiocity setting to match this look or do i need to use KRay plugin?

thanks

Old Dog Learns New Tricks RudySchneider's Avatar
    Two words...

Why not?

OK, five words...

I don't know why not!
    There are no problems, only opportunities...

well you donīt need to use kray.

You could simply add a white background color, activate global illumination(radiosity) and it will use that white color as environment bounce light.
    add a dome light for direct sunlight with a low angle maybe 0.26 -0.56 the higher value ..the softer the sunshadow will be.
    the images seen in the video..donīt seem to have that much occlusion, so I donīt think itīs necessary.

Michael

Plus a good paper surface material, translucency effect needs to be there. You don't need Kray for this. Make some simple paper shapes and a ground plane and start working on the look, surfaces and GI settings, once you have that it's just gonna be modeling and animation. Also, it might be worth while to actually buy the tutorial, even if it's for C4d some of the work flow might be useful, there might be handy hints, cheats and so on that could be applied. It's quite cheap and if you have a paying job based on this look it can't hurt to see how someone else did it.

OK, I must have had my head in the dirt. I didn't know Vimeo add a pay service. Interesting, both Vimeo and the paper modeling.
    Silkrooster.com - temporarily offline due to updating...
    Spinquad Forum - Closed Sorry...
    lightwave-resources.pdf - - temporarily offline due to updating...

How about learning by doing, donīt seem to be that hard and taking too much time, it will be free ..except learning time of course and you will get insight along the way

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by realgray View Post

and he donīt even have to make it that advanced and write the articles, since the sample look he was after is clean paper sheets

thanks everyone.

@prometheus: it looks really simple but if you try to do it you will come to know that the cinema4d rendering quality is far superior and way faster than LW.. yes this is true! and the C4D setup is just two or three mouse clicks and its animation ready too (no GI/radiosity flickering at all) which is major problem in LW. I recomend try a simple test and see what i mean. it will be extremely hard to match this quality!
    by the way, 1280x720 res render in C4D is taking 2min 5sec to render. try the same quality in LW and the compare.. I would love to see if we can make same results in same amount of render time.

Thanks

Little late seeing this, but here's a quickie test, 1280x720, 2m15s on stock i7 2600K. Uninterpolated MC GI, so won't flicker. Might need to bump up RPE to 8-16 when animated though, but maybe not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paper_test_2m15s.jpg 
Views:	784 
Size:	510.3 KB 
ID:	123212  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Mike

Shouldn't the paper be more of gray due to the pollution of the cars? (just kidding)

Nice job...
    Silkrooster.com - temporarily offline due to updating...
    Spinquad Forum - Closed Sorry...
    lightwave-resources.pdf - - temporarily offline due to updating...

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny_Mike View Post
    Little late seeing this, but here's a quickie test, 1280x720, 2m15s on stock i7 2600K. Uninterpolated MC GI, so won't flicker. Might need to bump up RPE to 8-16 when animated though, but maybe not.
    Yes, nothing problematic for LW render engine here, it's very good and similar result to C4D one. On a 3930K it's 1m 50sec rendertime.
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

However the paper surface has no reflective values and reflections were disabled in the render settings. It depends on how real you would want to make it I suppose.

2 min with a reflective value and reflections activated, but absolutely no difference in the look of the render. However my reflective values were very low and not researched.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast