Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foundry Colorway stolen ideas frim Colimo

Foundry Colorway stolen ideas frim Colimo

http://etereaestudios.com/blog/2014/...-feliz-motiva/

Colimo devs got duped by the Foundry. Colimo should have protected their IP.

Not cool.

Gives me a slimy feeling, just reading it.
    Last edited by spherical; 07-16-2014 at 03:02 AM.
    Blown Glass ˇ Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

typical - salesman attitude - from Modoman! SUE them motiva! they simply stole it from you! - consider other packages - even octane
    Last edited by tyrot; 07-16-2014 at 05:15 AM.

No Foundry discussion threads please! They always get deleted, oh wait this one prob won't
    Scott Martin NOT Martin Scott

Company website
    Life in B&W

Sorry to hear this, never liked him, B that is!

If you have registered proof

take legal advice,but good advice.

See if you've got tech councillers

near by who can advise you first.

Or somebody in Brussels(EU),maybe ?

Blog Entries
    oh wow

bad news....
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX TRX40-E GAMING Rev 1.xx
    1 x Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core - 3690 MHz (32 cores, 64 threads) Fractal S36 AIO
    131072 MB DDR4 DIMM 2133 MHz (8 of 8 slots)

well, that sucks

to be fair autodesk have gone up in my opinion in comparison...

they BUY the app/company not just copy the tech/ideas and call it their own
    Last edited by cresshead; 07-16-2014 at 09:56 AM.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

I would hesitate to jump to any conclusions.

There are ALWAYS two sides to any story, and hearing only one side AND making a judgment is... not wise. Past experience proves this.

Seems pretty blatant.

i'd add this tech for re lighting, re coloring and re texturing has been around for over a decade...discreet combustion2.0 did that back in 2002 - 2003 with a export to combustion workspace from 3dsmax 4.0

so nobody has suddenly 'invented anything new" really other than piping the changes you make in the 2d app back to the 3d scene if you want too...and that's just a script of some sort really isn't it...not earth shattering...cool yes but not THAT cool.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Seems pretty blatant.
    "Seems" and "is" can be two VERY different things. Have we heard ANYTHING from The Foundry regarding this accusation?

Edit. It looks like Brad is responding on TF forum and is saying everything was above-board. I have no reason NOT to trust Brad so at this point I will accept him at his word. Hopefully that will turn out to be exactly the case - and I expect it will.
    Last edited by Megalodon2.0; 07-16-2014 at 06:04 PM.

DIdn't you hate these guys Megalodon for leaving lightwave in its current state? Jump ship to create their own then later on sell out to Foundry.
    Till this day its unbelievable how they got away with copying a lot of modellers ideas and workflow. Endomorphs, falloffs, action center, workflow for weightmaps, etc, gradients, nothing is selected everything is selected, lasso selection, etc. No other 3d software has blatantly copied another software the way Modo has copied modeller.
    So its no surprise what they did to Motivo.

Quote Originally Posted by lightscape View Post
    DIdn't you hate these guys Megalodon for leaving lightwave in its current state? Jump ship to create their own then later on sell out to Foundry.
    Till this day its unbelievable how they got away with copying a lot of modellers ideas and workflow. Endomorphs, falloffs, action center, workflow for weightmaps, etc, gradients, nothing is selected everything is selected, lasso selection, etc. No other 3d software has blatantly copied another software the way Modo has copied modeller.
    So its no surprise what they did to Motivo.
    Yes I did. And I was just as vocal about that as I was about having LW10.x stop at 10.1. VERY annoyed. And then I saw how the politics worked at Newtek and realized that Brad and company were probably equally frustrated and HAD to leave. I learned quite a bit around that time. And I think you would agree, no one on this forum who is not a Newtek employee KNOWS exactly what went down and why - in fact I would bet that most Newtek employees don't know what happened. After CORE and 10.1.... I was quite a bit more open to other POV's. After playing around with Modo, it FEELS very different from LW - but then I don't know what's under the hood. I believe that Nexus is very different from the foundation of LW. But again, I do not KNOW.

I don't KNOW if TF screwed over Colimo or not since I don't know all of the facts. At this point it doesn't LOOK good for TF, but I certainly won't be rendering any judgement so soon without knowing quite a bit more.

When I said that re-lightning been around for quite some time and Colima guys just repacked the workflow, people were like huh?you must be mad....then four pages later everyone is like Relighting been around since ages.

Stories are like buttocks, everyone got their own. F knows what happened but to me the Motiva and Colorway are different apps,it's like Corel and Adobe fighting over Ai / Corel Draw.
    Shame that Foundry wasn't smarter and just packed this into Modo.

Whatever, capitalism. More choice for us. To be fair Colorway is soo slow and awkward to work with with complex scenes not to mention that it increase the rendering time 6 fold...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast