Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 100 days of old-skool 80's 8-bit nostalgia

Bubble Bobble!!!

So the on/off switch is an inch away from a players hand.
    What could go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzan View Post
    So the on/off switch is an inch away from a players hand.
    What could go wrong?
    You just needed small hands and to keep it on the knob that you used to move the paddle up and down. Oh, the simplicity of yesteryear... Before you had multiple buttons, joypads, tilt sensors...

Manual attached (I did a quick-n-dirty scan) - just look at those little hands keeping away from the buttons. (and check out the warranty card with Purchase date... 1978. Someone looked after this machine rather well... Its still in its original box, just missing a power plug and the gun really)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	069_kitronix.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	247.9 KB 
ID:	124331  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kevman3d; 09-17-2014 at 02:24 PM.
    -- --
    100 Days challenge 2014 : 800 Bits

Personal Blog :Personal Blog
    NZLWUG : Facebook / Blog
    -- --

Before there was Gameboy...

...there was Gamewatch... Ahem, I mean Game and Watch.

The last 2 days - for yesterday I re-used my old Galaxian machine. Its that dirty old generic cabinet that you'd find at all the Fish-and-chip shops... Usually played just before you'd get your food, wrapped lovingly in old newspaper - that would seep inky toxins into that greasy fine dining...

The Game and Watch, well, its a good memory of those school yard days... I'm waiting on an Octopus game from someone at the moment, though its a modern piece of tiny cheap plastic version. Hopefully the games the same...

Name:	073_gamewatch.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	265.0 KB 
ID:	124413   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	072_grubbyGalaxians.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	124414  
    -- --

-- --

Oh - 50 (that half-way point) - forgot to post

Ah, here's that elusive No. 50 - a cardboard Pengo. I thought it might be interesting to create something more then just flat cardboard cut-outs this time... Being blue and red does play havoc of course with JPG compression, but it seems ok in this image...

Name:	050_pengo.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	124415  
    -- --

-- --

ex-LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    I got a Game and Watch for my 18th birthday. It was an orange dualscreen one that folded shut with Donkey Kong. Amazing days...

B
    Ben Vost
    LightWave 3D Docs wiki
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 456.71, 2x4K 23.5" monitors
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Quote Originally Posted by kevman3d View Post
    Talk about getting hard! When the days busy, creating stuff during the working week just becomes quite daunting. This time I had no plan, but I wanted to do a short one for the 2600 - I never owned one, and while I wanted one because the Atari had all the arcade titles, after seeing Pac man at a department store one day - flickering, jumpy graphics... It was like 'Yipes! How is this machine even popular when the games look this nasty!?'

Needless to say, we never had one - we owned a Fountain, which is the NZ release of the Radofin 1392 (also released by Hanimex and Acetronic). It wasn't a bad little machine for the late 70's / early 80's. I'll have to do some CG for one of those too at some stage...

The machine was not too difficult to model at all. I kept it pretty simple...
    I remember mine looking like that except there was dust all over it and not from a lack of playing it.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwestmas View Post
    I remember mine looking like that except there was dust all over it and not from a lack of playing it.
    All I can think of when I read that was chaffed palms of your hand, or excessive dandruff... I don't know if I should be grossed out or impressed. Hahaha!
    -- --

-- --

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    I got a Game and Watch for my 18th birthday. It was an orange dualscreen one that folded shut with Donkey Kong. Amazing days
    That was an awesome game! There was also the other dual screeners like Oil Panic, and I think a second Donkey Kong.
    -- --

-- --

All I can think of when I read that was chaffed palms of your hand, or excessive dandruff... I don't know if I should be grossed out or impressed. Hahaha!
    hehe no, just an old, dusty victorian house.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Another batch...

More intermittent images. So many blank days that I will want to fill in, and the 100 day finish line is only a week away (6 days to be exact)

Given a huge chunk of this was missed out of work requirements (being all Maya prep for teaching a new class) I would say Autodesk has sabotaged this project... Well, except the many days I was sick of course... But Lets just ride this conspiracy theory for now. lol!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1412886245_092_cartridges_800_582.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	287.2 KB 
ID:	124946

Name:	1412215636_084_cassette_800_582.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	124947

Name:	1412104646_083_4channels_800_582.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	124948

Name:	1412061323_082_screechy_800_582.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	124949
    -- --

-- --

Its done and dusted... And a lot of work to finish...

I attended the live exhibition of the 100 days event last night. There's some very talented people around, from kids who drew a super-hero a day to some amazing miniature 3D sculptures made from hundreds of layers of paper. While I didn't get to physically print and present, I did get to put a small handful of slides up on the projection there.

Its a pity that the projection was stretched horizontally (which made some of my renders look kinda squished down). But it was a pretty good show (and a LOT of people).

The challenge now is to try and slowly complete all 100 of these as I find time, since it would be a pity to not finish the full set of 100. I would have loved to do every single day over the event - but life doesn't always go the way you want it to.

Here's a couple of piccies...

Name:	KP100Days.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	489.9 KB 
ID:	125220Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KP100Days_01.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	426.9 KB 
ID:	125221
    -- --

-- --

In the flesh... As it were...

Well, its been a while since I posted here (well, at all if I am to be truly honest)

There's a new 100 day project about to start (I'm not sure whether I'll go down the same route at this moment... Maybe, maybe not...)

However, this is really a quick post to show a 3D print of the Atari Joystick I'd modeled last year. I found a local printer using 3dhubs.com (great idea, a community of printing services) and got it printed at 2". Unfortunately some of the detailing was a little too tiny to be picked up by the printer (I expected that to happen), but overall it didn't come out too shabby! Cost was NZ$5.62 (plus set-up cost, labor, and postage - which added $16 on top of that)

You obviously see the "grain" (from memory, its supposedly 0.4 mm (40 microns?)) - but I'll probably take to it this weekend with a bit of fine sandpaper, and maybe pull out a few enamel model paints if I feel so inclined...

Name:	Atari_JS_3DP_02.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	128926

I figure I'll probably grab a few more of those old LW models and get a few more small prints done. It would be great to eventually afford a printer at home of course...
    -- --

-- --

Doh! Sorry - make that 100 microns. The 0.4 mm is the nozzle size...
    -- --

-- --

Talk about getting hard! When the days busy, creating stuff during the working week just becomes quite daunting. This time I had no plan, but I wanted to do a short one for the 2600 - I never owned one, and while I wanted one because the Atari had all the arcade titles, after seeing Pac man at a department store one day - flickering, jumpy graphics... It was like 'Yipes! How is this machine even popular when the games look this nasty!?'....
    Yay! I had the original Sears branded one when I was a teen. I think it's still at my parents' house. A few years ago I bought a replica of the 2600--it's actually a little smaller and made of plastic, but it has most of the original games hard coded inside (i.e., no cartridges.) The replica is kinda fun and a reason to keep an analog TV around, but I think I prefer the original.

I remember marveling over the Z in a department store. I wasn't sure what I could do with it but I knew it was a sign that I was already living in the future.

My first 'real' programmable computer was the Coleco A.D.A.M with its whopping 80k of RAM and random access cassette tape drive. Yes, those were actually big home computing advancements at the time.

G.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast