Thread: New here, would love your expertise

New here, would love your expertise

Hi everybody,

I'm fairly new to the world of broadcasting and thanks to these forums have come a loooooonng way (though, still pretty green) from when I was first hired for the A/V team at a museum, that holds all types of events (lectures, music performances, film screenings, etc.) We've only been broadcasting certain events online through UStream for a handful of months and are looking for ways to expand. Right now, we have a Tricaster 40 with two cameras (Panasonic HPX170 and HPX250) that ultimately are hooked up by way of component cables (the newer HPX250 uses a BM converter from SDI to component with BNC adapters). We've been researching several action-style cameras like the GoPro3 to possibly move around for more dynamic shots, and while wiring it is an option, it would likely limit the places we could put it.

From all the research, I think I sort of have an idea of how the wireless workflow might work, but I have several hangups.
    Since I'm pretty new to this, I'm hoping someone can A) tell me where I am completely wrong B) elaborate on things that my inexperience makes me incapable of understanding 3) suggestions, suggestions, suggestions. All I ask is that you bear with me.

1. If I were to buy one of the action cameras, say a GoPro3, and utilize it's wireless streaming feature, I would first have to stream to a laptop, THEN go to the Tricaster, correct? If so, would I be using the iVGA function on my Tricaster?

2. We haven't had to use iVGA just yet, but when I attempted to test it the other day, I had no luck. This is no doubt a result of the way our network is setup. I'll be scheduling a meeting with IT soon to help me better understand that side of things, but does anyone have an idea on the ideal settings needed to run iVGA well or know where I can educate myself on how/how well our cameras work on a network?

3. As far as wireless transmitters go, I've been looking into Teradek, although I am not entirely sure this is what we need. Our theatre is a decent size, but we control everything from the booth above. It has glass panes in front where we might be able to put any sort of receiver, but I'd still want a transmitter with some power. The theatre has pretty thick walls and is the only place where folks get no phone reception - we also in the future may put a camera backstage or try and move a setup upstairs. There seems to be a good amount of wireless video transmitters on the market and they all range in price pretty drastically and while I understand there are a handful of ways that these products transmit video, I can't really figure out what the differences in quality are and if they'll work for what we need.

I get that this post is kind of all over the place, but any input is much appreciated.

Welcome, kuwalaka! I hope I can help, although I am far from being an expert.

1. I believe this is the correct workflow. GoPro -> PC -> TriCaster via iVGA

2. We have been working with getting iVGA set up here in my station for the last few weeks. Thanks to Kane, and other posts here on the forums, here is what we experienced: Turn off any Anti-Virus on the host system. We had problems constantly trying to get iVGA working. Once we tried it on a system that had no Anti-Virus, boom, connected super easy, like a dream, no issues. Framerate and image quality was phenomenal as well.

If your network is anything like ours, we are not able to turn off anti-virus as an end-user. If that is the case, then yes, your IT will probably have to arrange some exception for iVGA to work.

3. Sorry, can't helpl you here..

Hope I've helped a little bit.
    Joe Quigley
    KVEW-TV
    www.kvewtv.com

System: TriCaster 8000 w/control surface and AVID audio surface
    GFX: Chyron IP
    Cameras: Panasonic AG-HPX370P (x3)

Awesome. Thanks JRQuigley. I spoke with IT earlier this morning and I've got the iVGA working. The next step is finding which wireless transmitter will do the job.

Regarding Question #1 about GoPro wireless streaming, this is not intended for broadcast - since the GoPro has no viewfinder, accessing it on a phone for instance allows the user to adjust the framing and to monitor the recording, with some basic remote-control functions. The video is a "preview-quality" really, and there is a lag.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers