Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you model this?

How would you model this train?

I'm fairly OK with modeling things that are, basically, boxes. Like a house, a hangar, an airport with its different types of straight angles and all that. But I wanna explore doing other stuff, like vehicles of different types, such as airplanes, trains, boats, even cars.

I thought I could have a little project during the summer, and model a train. The model I've looked at is used on the local line here and in the end I'd like to texture it just like the real deal.
    Being a complete rookie at modeling anything except buildings, I don't know where or how to begin. And I know a lot of you are capable of thinking way beyond my closed box.

The train is a Stadler Flirt, in NSB livery.
    I've downloaded a few PDFs with vector drawings for side, top and front view.

For what it's worth, I've got LWCAD.
    Last edited by OlaHaldor; 07-08-2014 at 05:46 AM.
    3D Generalist
    Threadripper 2920x, 128GB, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYu188xDGe4
    A quick search revealed a series of 3 videos where Mariusz Stawski makes a car. I am not a big fan of his polygon by polygon construction method I rather start with a blob and modify it, But it will give you a sense of modeling basic shapes for subpatch and how to handle them.

This is his blog and he has a great looking train.
    http://mstawski3d.blogspot.com.es
    Last edited by Danner; 07-08-2014 at 06:21 AM.

That's how I build cars. Polygon by polygon. Sometimes I use splines but in a lot of case you'll be just as quick with the P by P method. Splines can be reused and that can be helpful at times. I don't think LWCad is that useful for modeling cars and trains etc.

It's easy. From general to specific like my train
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ELF.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	348.9 KB 
ID:	122848  

Thanks guys. I'll have to prepare myself to extend - adjust - extend - adjust then.
    3D Generalist

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusM View Post
    It's easy. From general to specific like my train
    LOL! That's a good one!

There's a widely available, older, MAYA book that covers creating a steam locomotive. -Really, it's down to just do every little bit. It ain't fast. But it's faster than making an actual train, and that got done.

++
    Looked at the pdfs. Put the images in the background in Modeler, make a bounding box, and go to town.

Oooo, here's at least one actually useful tip: If you make a bounding box the same dimensions as the vehicle, you can use AUTOSIZE on the background images to perfectly match the bounding box. I find having a bbox makes auto-zooming and basically adhereing to reality a lot easier. The bbox can be in the background layer.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 07-08-2014 at 09:37 AM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

very nice model!!

I have been busy with other things since last posts. But I started thinking about this again, and thought I should give spline modeling a chance. I've never touched it before, and I'm having a hard time finding anything about it. I checked the "LW Main Menu" but all the links are dead. There's hardly anything on YouTube that I could find with my attempts on searching.

Where do you go to find a "getting started with spline modeling" these days?
    3D Generalist

Quote Originally Posted by OlaHaldor View Post
    I have been busy with other things since last posts. But I started thinking about this again, and thought I should give spline modeling a chance. I've never touched it before, and I'm having a hard time finding anything about it. I checked the "LW Main Menu" but all the links are dead. There's hardly anything on YouTube that I could find with my attempts on searching.

Hmm, I'm not sure what's out there but if you want to jump in with both feet, for $39.95 there's always Lewis's Modelling the 58 tutorial, it's all shown so you can follow along the entire way if you want. I think it would still be relevant for 11.x.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by OlaHaldor View Post

This is because basically people don't use this much anymore for this kind of thing.

As soon as I say this there will be an avalanche of people who say they still do... lol

And underscore "still".

There are more modern techniques since then.

Subpatch is a much more flexible system.

In LightWave it went:

Poly modeling and boolean
    Spine Patching
    Metaform
    Subpatch

In my opinion this is a progression toward technology that is much better suited for organic modeling.

And Sensi will pop in here to sell Easy Spline...

Cool... You won't find me arguing about learning the use of spline patching. And will agree it has its place.

But by an large you want to be using subpatch for these kinds of things. It is far more advanced and flexible. Spline patching can be used in this workflow as well, so it is not a bad thing to learn. I stopped using it as soon as I got my head around Subpatching. That's me.

Quote Originally Posted by Oedo 808 View Post
    Hmm, I'm not sure what's out there but if you want to jump in with both feet, for $39.95 there's always Lewis's Modelling the 58 tutorial, it's all shown so you can follow along the entire way if you want. I think it would still be relevant for 11.x.
    +1 on Lewis's car modeling course. Very thorough and well done.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatDude View Post
    +1 on Lewis's car modeling course. Very thorough and well done.
    Aha! Of course, you would know, I knew someone had posted one in the gallery. I can't believe I hadn't even replied, I'm such a bum

Maybe you'll see mine in there someday ... ... nah I'm far too much of a bum.

Very nice work you did there GoatDude, following a tutorial or not
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    My take: The thing about Spline Modeling that makes it less attractive is, it's like being a FILM cinematographer in that it's not very interactive: you make your splines, patch them and then the patch is what you get, changing the splines (of course) does nothing.

In FILM, you shot your film, sent it away to the lab, and hoped like hell it looked good.

--OK, pretty strained analogy, but, the interactivity of Subds really makes spline patching a tough sell.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Thanks for the new perspective, guys.
    I went with the Lewis tutorial, so far, I'm learning a few new tricks. I don't mind splines and patches at the moment. It's mainly going to be a low poly game model for the time being.

I'll check Subpatch as well.
    3D Generalist

oh, ha ha ha I was going to edit my post.... unless you are modeling for a game... lol

No you'd not touch SubD for that. Spline Patching would be a fine technique. Just don't go too dense of course.

Alternatively you can model a high density version in subD and use that to bake details to a lower poly version.... but that is another story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast