Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First ever room interior attempt

The way I was thinking of it is a bit like display profiles where the actual picture info doesn't change it's just the colour space preset that alters the way it displays on screen. Which is why sometimes when looking at images in editors that don't support particular profiles the images can look incorrect. Or is this something more like you suggest and applying a double gamma correction?? It's all a mystery to me although I will do some testing tonight hopefully so i can see the differences.
    Kind regards
    V.B.

It's a small cave but you know, ...it's not too damp.

Sys: 3.0Ghz 8Core, 512GB SSD, Dual FireProD700, 32GB RAM, Yosemite, 8TB NAS

I see what you're saying ArtGoblin and it makes sense. I will double check the texture settings in the image editor. How do I get linear images in the first instance so i don't have to go gaffing with the editor every time I import a texture. Can the corrections be removed in photoshop beforehand?
    Kind regards
    V.B.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Systems View Post
    I see what you're saying ArtGoblin and it makes sense. I will double check the texture settings in the image editor. How do I get linear images in the first instance so i don't have to go gaffing with the editor every time I import a texture. Can the corrections be removed in photoshop beforehand?
    ummm maybe there's a script that helps, but becouse we tend to use image files for both grayscale (scalar) maps and color maps alike, Lightwave doesn't give us the option to have different settings for each type. It's generally considered easier or less time consuming to manually set all colored images to sRGB profile instead of doing it the other way around, becouse we tend to have more scalar maps than color maps

Ok I'll have a play and see what occurs. Hopefully I'll get something acceptable...
    Kind regards
    V.B.

In most cases you won't have to think about it because almost any texture or photo image you load in has already been compressed into rgb color values, and then the others, such as HDR images are considered as float files under the sRGB preset. It's unlikely you have ever tried to load in a camera raw file as a texture right? There are just a few things that you have to manually change back over to Linear, such as normal maps, and I think even greyscale bump maps (so I've read although I've never done it myself) so you just search through the image editor for those and change their color space rgb back to linear, job done.

Mostly it's just set and forget for me, I just use the preset, but in the end it's the result that counts, a few times I've set my render back to non linear because I liked the old look better, however it's sort of pointless because you can get that look with post processing if you want. The benefit is you don't have to pump ridiculous amounts of light into a scene and you have more latitude in post to adjust the color, exposure and contrast. For me, linear color space is to rendering what sub-D is to modeling, a little strange and hard to explain, but actually not too hard once you try it a few times. Personally it just makes lighting for me a lot easier.

p.s. I can almost guarantee I've been technically inaccurate in some of this but we're all learning.

I have a render shot somehwere with volumetric lights and dust particles, must find the thread though...

Thanks prometheus that looks good I'll have to try that out. DJwaterman ok no probs I'll have a mess with the settings on the next render.

Thanks all for your responses.
    Kind regards
    V.B.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12