Thread: Modern house

Mike, in Monsters Inc Tartiflette's Avatar

Modern house

Hello guys and gals.

As i'm still testing my archviz skills i thought i would post my latest project here.
    So here it is, a modern house under different camera angles and in the daylight as well as at night time.
    Hope you'll like it, feel free to comment if you don't.

The complete series can be seen here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Patio_Exterieur_003.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	238.6 KB 
ID:	122655

Oh, and i almost forgot, i can proudly say that my terrace render, along with other renders (great stuff overall, i'm really wondering what my render is doing in the middle of this !) was chosen as an "inspiration" by CG Architect here.

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette.

Nice and clean renders, Gratz!

cool design, nice render. Too much white for taste.

Wow, that is modern. Its so modern they dont even have doors so you can go out on the terrace What was the rendertime ?

Congrats for the CGA inspiration
    ingo erik moltzen - virtual image maker --- www.im-graphics.com

Thanks all for the kind words !

Quote Originally Posted by ingo View Post
    Wow, that is modern. Its so modern they dont even have doors so you can go out on the terrace What was the rendertime ?

Congrats for the CGA inspiration
    He he, in fact, it's there (yes, it's modeled ! ) but you don't see it.
    It's just in the left corner of the image shown here. I was wondering as well how you could out on the terrace when i saw the photos the first time and i finally found the door in the corner in one of them.
    Rendertime was quite correct, around 1h30' per render @ 1500x1000 on my Core i7 @ 4Ghz.
    Overall there are still quite some splotches here and there so it's not a perfect GI solution but testing it with other biased engines led to even worse results so i'm quite happy with it.

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette.

nice renders,but all i can see is the blood splatter where kids have run full tilt into the glass :-)

You have some great work in your portfolio, are they all LW native or are there other rendering solutions with some of them?

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    You have some great work in your portfolio, are they all LW native or are there other rendering solutions with some of them?
    Thanks for the nice words, always appreciated, especially when they come from someone who do so much great renders !

As for the render engines used it's a mix of LightWave (approx. 80% i'd say), maxwell~render, Thea Render, Octane and modo !
    Quite a lot of them actually, but for the most part i'm a LightWave guy.

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette.

These images are great!! I'm highly impressed!

Would you mind sharing you workflow - how do you handle lightning, materials and render settings? I would love to lean from you!

Hmm, 1h30 seems a bit slow to me,that means on my Core i5 @ 2.3Ghz a rendertime of around 5 hours. How many lights do you have, and how many blurred reflections, and FG or MC rendering ? And shouldn't the glass door be visible because of the refraction in the glass ?

Hmm, 1h30 seems a bit slow to me,that means on my Core i5 @ 2.3Ghz a rendertime of around 5 hours. How many lights do you have, and how many blurred reflections, and FG or MC rendering ? And shouldn't the glass door be visible because of the refraction in the glass ?
    For the daylight renders, obviously only one light (a dPont's SunSky) and for the night renders there are quite a lot, 15 lights (all IES to be sure it renders slower ! ) plus a SunSky to do the skylight.
    And the floor is entirely blurry reflection with a lot samples to avoid noise as much as possible.

That said i'm not really after the fastest render time possible with these experimentations but more after the highest possible quality (for my skills that is...), a bit like those gorgeous renders one can see on pro archviz websites, where the render times is rarely short, even with the "top of the top" render engines.

Not to mention i'm coming from days where 7 days for a single render wasn't that much out of the question, so...

As for the glass there is no refraction at all, i'm sading the windows a bit like "architectural" glass on physical render engines, no refraction at and reflection adjusted to my needs via a fresnel node.

The GI settings were very high for this particular scene, something like 8 bounces, RPE 1024/ SBR 512, minimum pixel spacing 1, maximum pixel spacing 25.
    Those settings were almost mandatory as i had splotches all over the place with some camera angles. That said, except Kray, no other biased engine i tested on this scene could get rid entirely of the splotches so i guess it has to do with this scene in particular, i never go so high in radiosity settings.

Hope that helps a bit to understand the way it's been done.

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartiflette View Post
    ...Not to mention i'm coming from days where 7 days for a single render wasn't that much out of the question, so... ...
    Ah those days where raydiosity was an experimental feature Thanks for the explanation, yes 15 lights are making it nice and slow, i have the same problem with a project with 30 point lights in Modo now.

Ah those days where raydiosity was an experimental feature
    No, no, even worse, those days when we were dreaming in front of a glass fully raytraced, taking like 48 hours to complete @800x600 on an SGI costing something 30000+ euros !!
    So now you see why 10 or 20 hours for a single frame, with this quality, isn't even a problem.

As for modo i did a quick test with it when i was struggling with splotches in my radiosity solution just to see that it finally had exactly the same problems to deal with the scene.
    So i ended up doing it in LightWave entirely, but i would have liked to see what Thea would have done here as i'm sure it would have been the best case to show its strength.
    Unfortunately i didn't have the time to redo everything in Thea studio so i didn't use it.

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette.

Wow raytracing, why that, Phong shading is more than enough

What splotches do you get ? If you get bright ones there is obviously either a light to bright or a reflection/specular setting to high. If the splotches are dark you should either clean your screen or use higher/better gi settings