Thread: Issues with AVCHD

Issues with AVCHD

I am using SpeedEdit 1.5 and having some issues tying to capture some AVCHD footage from very much a consumer camcorder.
    I tried connecting via USB 2 and could not get the camera recognised. I tried to move a file into Windows XP via a card read and had no luck either. Is it the flavour of AVCHD of Panasonic or more than likely am I doing something wrong.

Here is a quote from the Apple support website. Is it trying to say that the Apple ProRes codecs may be less demanding on the editing system and better to use???

"Choosing an AVCHD Destination Codec
    Even simple AVCHD decoding for playback requires a lot of processing power. To reduce the processing demands on your computer, the Log and Transfer window transcodes your AVCHD footage to a less processor-intensive codec. The default destination codec is Apple ProRes 422, but you can also choose other Apple ProRes codecs or the Apple Intermediate Codec."

If you are using SpeedEdit then there is no reason to follow any instructions given for the Mac.

You will likely have to upgrade SpeedEdit to v.2 in order to accommodate recent codecs.
    Other than moving your files from a card onto your hard drive, you should put the files onto your timeline and render them to SpeedHQ

Speededit has nothing to do with your computer recognIzing the camera. I am unclear if you are using SE on a pc or mac? Does SE 1.5 even run on a mac? If so, then the instructions Apple gave sound like you are using FCP or iMovie. You should be using a card reader and connect it to the computer. If you can play the file by double clicking it, then SE should play it too.

Thanks donx....I wanted to see if the AVCHD codec would play in SpeedEdit 1.5 but as I mentioned i could not get them into my computer either by way of a card reader or the USB connection to the camera. That was strange. i am considering upgrading both camera and computer. I will probably go with SE 2.0. i have a computer technician coming tomorrow.

Hi Tony
    Thanks for your input. I am running SE on a PC. Trying to come to grips with some technical stuff that seems to elude me.

OK, now that I know you are using a PC, I am more familiar. As I said, if the computer does not see the camera, then SE could never see it either. Get an SDHC Card reader (assuming the camera is recording to SD and not to its internal drive) and get it into the computer that way. If you need the pc to see the camera, connect it via USB, go to Device Manager and look for the camera there (should be a yellow explanation point next to it), right click, update drivers, automatic update will search the internet for your driver. If that fails, go to the camera's web site and see if there is a windows driver for it. Usually, they are located in Support or Downloads section. Let us know how it goes.

Hi Tony

Thanks again for the info. I think you have it the nail on the head with this response. It tweaked on me today..... it is the drivers I am quite certain. The Panasonic camera in question worked well with its owners laptop PC. The laptop has Windows 7 I am still using XP. So I will borrow the camera again and follow your instructions. Today I had Windows 7 64 Bit installed on a new hard drive. Tomorrow i will see if SE 1.5 works. My next move is to order the upgrade to SE 2.0. My goal is to be able to edit HD. At the moment I am using the Canon H1 and SE 1.5 handles the HDV files well. I would just like to move up a notch with the quality of the footage. Thanks for taking the trouble to respond. Regards John