Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to create a handle on a lamp (coffee mug style)

How to create a handle on a lamp (coffee mug style)

Hi there,
    This is my first post so hopefully I'm in the right section!

In the picture below, I'm trying to create a handle for a gas lamp that extrudes out. How would I go about doing this?
    I understand that I could just bevel one of the polygons until I achieve the desired shape, but this isn't perfectly centered on the axis.

Please ignore the strange looking polygons, I was trying to divide them up so I could have a polygon to bevel that was centered on the axis.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MugHandle.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	122611

Flip the two polys.
    Sketch out a curve in a new layer
    Rail extrude.
    Merge points.
    Tada!

You could try bezier bridge also, free plugin, if you have selected two or more polygons to run the bridge connection from, you have to merge those polyīs first.
    http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/bezierbridge.php

You have interactive handles to adjust the bridge,subdivision segment control, tension for changing curvature of the bridge, and segment control to add handles( beware you have to add segments by right mouse click on the curve.)
    the segment values is fixed at 1 otherwise.

Name:	Bezier_bridge.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	349.2 KB 
ID:	122616

Michael

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Yet Another Way is to EXTEND a poly or two, then using ROVE and EXTEND repeatedly (you don't have to drop ROVE, just hit "e" again) to shape them, and then use BRIDGE to seal them together.

ROVE+EXTEND is a great way to quickly build arbitrary extrusions.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

You could also use magic bevel and draw it freehand...

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    How I wish I'd ever had much success with Magic Bevel, but pour moi, it is just too squirelly.

If someone uses MB regularly and has tips, I'd love to hear them.

Using magic bevel is a little awkard since you canīt bridge it completly(close the gap) so you would have to use some bridging anyway for the end closure, but using bezier bridge does what it should.
    you could also use px_bezier and extend, which is by far much better than magic bevel, you can undo save and load the path, edit in perspective while maintaining constrained axis, add or delete nots for the curve, multiselect knots and move, change to smooth or hard handles in the curve, change segments etc.

Px_bezier as magic bevel still lacks a bridge option, which always has to be made to close the handle, and px donīt have the tension control as bezier bridge has, unfortunatly though about bezier bridge, I find it hard to right click and add handles in a good way.
    pz_bezier and bezier bridge in one, that would be something.

Name:	px_bezeir.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	456.0 KB 
ID:	122637

that is so awful its hard to find words to express the fact, sweeping things in lightwave is utter crap, hard to think a 3D prog that is any way near as bad, bezier's I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, eight sides is the minimum for handle (yes I know every mug tutorial uses four but thats A– because they are trying to keep it simple and B– because they are being downright lazy), I model them in other programs usually but if I had to do it in LW I would model it as a flat profile (box model style) and extrude out from the centre bevel outer edges then mirror and weld

There is a Lathe tool in TrueSpace that worked really well when I was designing our glass furnace and wanted to model the gas hoses. Interactive, as far as the path was concerned, so you could adjust the end point, then you'd extrude along it to create the helix. Something like that in LW would be great.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Cool

OK, Gerry's post seemed a little harsh so i thought I'd give it a whirl.

Made the cup body with DISK and BEVEL, then selected two polys on the upper body and attempted to lathe them.

The Lathe tool is NOT fun to work with, and has a gratuitous LACK of user handles to make it clear wtf you are doing. I actually found it easiest to work in the Perspective View, there's a change. Working in the Othogonal views seemed almost impossible. Eventually I was able to get the new geometry about where I wanted it. I knew that since the new geometry was Lathe'd from existing polys the top of the handle would be coincident w/the body geometry.

Deleting the extraneous handle geometry was harder than expected: I shoulda backgrounded a copy of the body, that would have been easier. Eventually i got all the stuff I didn't want killed. Then I selected an Edge Loop, in Edge Mode on the open end of the handle and Selected Edges on the body to match, attempted to Bridge, NO GO: only a HOLE made of Edges can apparently be Bridged. (Feature Request!!!) Killed the polys, reselected the Edge Holes, and Bridged.

One final touch: the upper end needed to have Points Merged. Turn on Subpatches. Wallagh!

Name:	Cup.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	122640

Resulting feature requests:
    More user handles for the Lathe Tool, especially gizmo-types that allow you to move on a single axis-- it's too 'floppy' now
    Make CLOSED Edge Lopps (composed of EDGES) Bridgable. It'll leave polys hidden, but who cares?
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 06-29-2014 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    (...) hard to think a 3D prog that is any way near as bad, bezier's I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, eight sides is the minimum for handle(...)
    Hi gerry, kept re-reading because I didn't get it if you were dissing beziers for this task in general or dissing LW beziers, or if splines have any thing to do with your comment.
    Agreed that sweapping and lofting right now it's not great, specially because without modeling relations you can't interactivly change the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post

Views:	63 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	122640
    Those closed loops along the handle are not perpendicular to the curve but oblique.

Cheers
    Last edited by probiner; 06-29-2014 at 04:42 PM.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by probiner View Post
    Those closed loops along the handle are not perpendicular to the curve but oblique.
    Cheers
    Yeah, 1) I wasn't trying real hard, and 2) it doesn't really affect the geometry enough to worry about.

Attempt #2

Views:	64 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	122641
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 06-29-2014 at 06:17 PM.

Banned
    wouldn't you just select the vertical column of polys where you want the handle, smooth shift out then boolean to form the handle.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by BokadCastle View Post
    wouldn't you just select the vertical column of polys where you want the handle, smooth shift out then boolean to form the handle.
    Just tried: pretty messy, if you want to subpatch. If you just want a cubist version of a coffee mug handle, sure.

Better: Select 2 discontinuous handle 'roots', multishift TWICE, select facing polys, Bridge.

Views:	43 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	122642
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 06-29-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Banned
    I should try something myself, but it will be later in the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast