Thread: Making an embossed shape in an object

Making an embossed shape in an object

Hi,

I am attempting to create a cartoon character, they will have an embossed shape representing some clothing, like the edge of a jacket or coat, this will be
    an embossed line in a sub d object, similar to a tennis ball inset but with a more complex shape. I cannot work out how to do this, I have tried stencil, but that only works on very simple shapes, any help would be really appreciated. I am not a newbie though this is really giving me issues, although I suspect theres a really easy work around.

Thanks.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Smooth shift?
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

could be smooth shift, or maybe this could help ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIuiDt2IP0A

you sound to be on to something with stencil, but maybe a screengrab could help here...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    I'm not great at soft body subD's but you first need to get the pattern into the main mesh, I've found solid drill set to stencil works for this. Then you need to tidy up all your poly's, converting to quads and triangles as appropriate. As Jeric said above, then( Smooth shift, or I prefer Extender+), the pattern in or out to get the required result.
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

That video is good thanks erikals, though the object will be round like a comic body so I would need the pattern to go around the spherical shape, like a jacket pattern around a globe like body. Haven't really much to show as I been wrestling with how to do this rather the anything else.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    For character work the standard practice is to draw front & side views, which allow you to sculpt the clothes into the mesh with the greatest of ease. ADDING arbitrary clothes to a generic shape is orders of magnitude more difficult.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Okay, how embossed? Would a normal map and painted texture suffice? Also for your consideration would be a displacement map solution.

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazlw View Post
    I am attempting to create a cartoon character, they will have an embossed shape representing some clothing, like the edge of a jacket or coat, this will be
    an embossed line in a sub d object, similar to a tennis ball inset but with a more complex shape. I cannot work out how to do this, I have tried stencil, but that only works on very simple shapes, any help would be really appreciated. I am not a newbie though this is really giving me issues, although I suspect theres a really easy work around.
    I wrote Wrinkle interactive tool especially for such tasks:
    http://wrinkle.trueart.pl