Thread: Pen tool only allows 100 points at a time?

Pen tool only allows 100 points at a time?

While using the Pen tool to sketch out a one-sided polygon from an image in the backdrop, I noticed it stopped sketching after exactly 100 points were made. Now, I've meticulously looked through all options and could not find anyway to maximize the limit. Can you guys either help me find the option to change the number of allowed points, or direct me to a plugin which can? I'm trying to re-copy this image in great detail and I need more than 100 points. Any help?

Unfortunately there's no way to go over 100. What I would do is make your shape as a vector path in illustrator or photoshop and then import the ai file to automatically make your polygon. There's a qt on pixsim.com that walks through this process.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    There's some LHF: increasing the number of points the Pen Tool can create. That was probably hardcoded in the Paleozoic era, and the Pen Tool probably hasn't seen much attention since then.

(To me it's always weird when such limits are decimal-ish rather than binary-ish: ie 100 vs 128.)

Workflow-wise I've always considered it 'dangerous' to try to make such big polys in one go: Much safer to make a series of smaller polys and simply merge them. IIRC a single poly can have ~65K points. --man, that seems like a lot. Maybe it's less, but it's high.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Certainly bringing in an EPS is the painless option, as Mr. Chan suggested.

But, if you don't have a vector program you can riffle around the shape laying down Points (don't know if there is a limit... it's certainly not 100 ).
    If you've gone in one direction, you can lasso select all the points and hit Make Polygon.
    System Specs: A pile of sand, a couple of wires, a real live mouse and a beer.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    And if all you have is a JPEG, you can use AE's Autotrace to get a vector out of it (assuming you have AE).

For a long time it seemed to me that AE's autotracing facilities far outshown PShops, but that may no longer be true.

And I'm a real Illustrator know-nothing: that's where I'd expect good autotracing capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    ...And I'm a real Illustrator know-nothing: that's where I'd expect good autotracing capabilities.
    I have found Illustrator's tracing abilities to be less than impressive (disclosure: I am a few CS's behind).
    I've heard, through various grapevines, that Corel Draw outshines Illustrator in this area handedly.
    Last edited by JoePoe; 06-23-2014 at 01:53 PM.
    System Specs: A pile of sand, a couple of wires, a real live mouse and a beer.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Huh. BTAIM, AE's is quite good. --But all of them are just OK compared to the one I saw 20 years ago on some dedicated system: not sure why that one was so advanced for its time.

TrueArt Support
    Which version of LW are you using?

There is internal limit how many points can have polygon.

Sorry for the massive delay in responding, I forgot this topic's existence after completely abandoning the pen tool method because I have no idea how to actually turn it into an object with depth from a one-sided polygon.

It completely sucks that the pen tool has no plugin or script that can edit it's maximum allowed points, even if it is inconvenient at best. The idea of making the one-sided polygon in sections then merging them together completely slipped my mind, and is a great idea that I will try to use in any future projects instead of trying to problem solve other alternative methods. I have an old script called "cookie cutter" that I dug around to find and it seems to have done the trick, despite making it have 100,000+ polygons too many (for a flat, one-sided polygon!).

After researching, I couldn't find out what AE is. After Effects? Assuming it's free, I'll try to pick it up. The tracing method seems incredibly promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Which version of LW are you using?

There is internal limit how many points can have polygon.
    Version 10, however, it's unlikely this 'limit' is not universal. I don't believe I'm talking about the limited points a polygon could have, that numbers waay larger than 100.

TrueArt Support
    In older versions there was limit 128 points per polygon.
    I am not sure anymore when it has been changed/extended.
    I have even mentioned it in EasySplit http://easysplit.trueart.eu description.
    That's written in 2005.
    But Pen tool code most likely has not been touched.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Low hanging fruit.

Newbie Member
    What you could do if you were wanting to do this again in the future I guess is use SHIFT+ and create the shape with points then select the points and press p. The point limit for Ngons I believe no longer exists in the sense of being relevant for most users since few versions back, just did a quick test and produced an Ngon with 40,000 points and seemed ok here and Im guessing for most users thats more points on an Ngon than most people are going to need.
    Lightwave 11.6.3 + NevronMotion
    i9001 running Win40k w/42Gb RAM and built in HAL drive.