Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 12 and Lightwave's future

Preset well can't lw3d group just give a web page so users could just upload models textures materials everything like that. Then ofc we make all the presets and share them with our friends. To me that's that should take a web developer next to no time to set up and implement it. Ofc moderation prob will be needed. So I'll put my feature request as that a preset page on the lightwave3D.com.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    My camera experiences are with MAYA, Blender, and C4d. IMO all of them felt like they were designed by IT guys, not cinematographers.
    (sigh) So IT guys prefer virtual dollys, cranes, and so forth, and cinematographers prefer something else? What version of C4D are you using for reference?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

siggraph is just 1 month and 12 days away...

what will newtek show this year?

and what of other 3d apps and technology (renderers and plugins)
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

I also don't know why people keep saying the UI need change solely because of the architecture
    so I'm not sure what it is that you and others are not grasping.
    I don't think anyone said it in that way, if you look back you'll see that was a questioning of "Lightwaviness". We do not grasp with was is not defined. Maybe I can ask you or jeric what is the UI for you then and what do you need to keep? Round text buttons or the fact you know your ways around the app and fear to be lost? If the first well, I've started with LW7 and looks very different now from then. If the second, every new feature usually adds new UI for you to learn to navigate.
    My UI concerns are more structural, not so much about how much you feel at home or if the style is familiar. That comes later, when you choose to work with something for hours because you think it provides the solutions you need.
    Take the things I talked about: A settings/properties window that refreshes to accommodate all settings/properties windows with multi-selection support(application, camera, render settings, lights, objects, nodes, modifiers, etc) becoming much more integrated in the user workspace and requiring less clean-up. A way to save all the input in said property/settings window so you can have your own presets. A better scene content manager than Scene Editor which not integrated in the UI at all. There's no docking or a way to turn viewports into a settings window or node editor or a graph editor. The list can go on and I don't really care to discuss of what I want to keep of the UI when talking about them, when the motivation for the discussion is what's not there.

Is there anything you do like about LightWave that you would not cast away?
    Very fair question given the line of discussion. But it would have to comprise what is the LW roadmap, if that choice would be for a new paradigm, or if it's the same paradigm where some parts would be replaced/updated. But even then it's hard because things can't be picked up in a vacuum. For example I like that nodes are universal, but many new things I could see in the node environment and management. Does that mean I want to trash the current nodes? But wouldn't a positive change make them very different? You see it's not an easy thing to talk about... Hence I focus on "what I think is missing" rather than "how it will be done".

Cheers
    Last edited by probiner; 06-28-2014 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oedo 808 View Post
    Might be around somewhere, but yeah I can explain it, it was a completely different editor program and thus a completely different architecture that was despite this, just like LightWave, and that's all I see most people wanting.

I think the UI argument is time and again blown out of all proportion because the Core lamenters need someone to blame for us not having a unified LightWave with everything we have now and more. Quite frankly given the expectations that some people had for Core there is nothing too outlandish for the 11.7 wishlist, I mean how about unification, with everything we have now, why the **** not.

I don't get this dismisive talk of the UI being an abstraction of the underlying architecture, of course it is, but this is not something trivial to me, a great deal of planning goes into this area for something that's just mishmash of fonts and colours which would suggest it is more than a peripheral concern to others as well. I just recently watched a video about Mocha where they make mention changes to the UI but add that there's no need to worry, it won't be unrecognisable, I wonder why they might have thought that was an issue?

I'm pretty sure in all the suggestions jeric has come out with you would find some that would require a change in the current UI, I wanted changes to the UI in Core and I often see requests from the community that would see a change the current UI, so I'm not sure what it is that you and others are not grasping. I think you are imagining the rigidity of the position that people have regarding changes to the UI.

Is there anything you do like about LightWave that you would not cast away?

I also don't know why people keep saying the UI need change solely because of the architecture, that the UI is an abstraction of it is also what makes the idea false. The UI changes to accommodate how tools are interfaced not how they work underneath. If people think that the UI needs to change because say a history stack were implemented it would need a way to be interacted with conveniently, something like an integrated side panel, and you think people are objecting to that, I'd like to see where, I don't really get the sense that people are talking about the same things. Such a panel for me would be collapsible, like they are in ZBrush's and it would be just like LightWave only not because we don't yet have one, yet.

Thankfully it isn't our hands, I do have some faith that Matt has a grasp of what matters to me, understands what is appealing and will keep what can be kept and change sympathetically what needs to be changed. Topics like this do make me realize I really should do more though in terms of communicating what I want to see and also what I don't want to see lost, lest the emperor change into his new clothes and find things a bit breezy.
    Is there a like button!
    Imagine if 3dmax, maya changed the UI, not just the fonts and colors, lol. The vast majority of 3d users would be in limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    siggraph is just 1 month and 12 days away...

what will newtek show this year?
    Nothing. They are not going to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    Nothing. They are not going to be there.
    but maybe an announcement or two during that time period?

Quote Originally Posted by motivalex View Post
    probably a newsletter or two. Haven't heard any plans of course.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

did newtek abandon CORE for good? does CORE support ngons?

Quote Originally Posted by motivalex View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Cody has asked for material so he has been working on something although I'm not really all that interested on what others have done with LW - I want to see what Newtek has done with LW.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by octopus2000 View Post
    did newtek abandon CORE for good? does CORE support ngons?
    Yep - although they learned a lot from Core and I'm sure some of those learnings will make it to LW. VPR did.

For sure, the complete blackout from LW3DG is becoming very annoying. Since there is speculation whatever they do (communicate, or set a blackout), I think they could try and go for a minus-medium solution, at least, with M. Powers hoping in in the forums from time to time and send a message about some directions LW has gone for the next version, or even better, as a foreword in the newsletters.

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    Yep - although they learned a lot from Core and I'm sure some of those learnings will make it to LW. VPR did.
    And Bullet
    And Python Scripting
    And I believe improved handles

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMarlowe View Post
    For sure, the complete blackout from LW3DG is becoming very annoying. Since there is speculation whatever they do (communicate, or set a blackout), I think they could try and go for a minus-medium solution, at least, with M. Powers hoping in in the forums from time to time and send a message about some directions LW has gone for the next version, or even better, as a foreword in the newsletters.
    It is rather obnoxious isn't it? If you are not going to rally the troops from time to time how do you expect to win the hearts and minds of the masses? Communication is key. Everything feels very black box right now and that disturbs me and others to no end. Why? Because you get silly things like "core" and CS.

But to be fair (trying to be fair), they are busy kats in development and hopefully it's for the right reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    And Bullet
    And Python Scripting
    And I believe improved handles
    None of which really came from CORE so to speak and didn't or doesn't rely on any "core" technology and was not required in order to be implemented.
    DJ Lithium | KAT! =^..^=

Black Tiger Recordings
    http://www.blacktigerrecordings.com
    Founder and Citizen of Liberty3d.com
    www.liberty3d.com

No, it doesn't rely on "core technology". But they were all characteristics proposed and present in CORE. When it was scrapped, they were worked into LW 11.

I have no idea why the user base continues to romanticize the memory of CORE. Overdue, over budget, and mostly over rated. It was merely going to be a third wheel on the LW release that was nearly useless. How on earth do you properly utilize something that can use huge poly counts but can't render/animate (outside of bullet sim's)? The other two thirds of LW would have choked on the poly counts they were talking about with CORE.

Did everyone really want a Maya-like navigation and shortcut system with icons?

I think what everyone keeps clinging to was the IDEA of a unified app, new beginning, with expanded speed and poly counts...along with the perks they gave us anyway.

So enamored of the hope the project symbolized rather than the reality of the calamity it became.

I think it was a good bye to bad rubbish, personally. Irks me to no end every time someone brings it up like it was some kind of effin' unicorn. I'd love to see them add "CORE" to the filter just like curse words.

Effin Electric Image, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    Did everyone really want a Maya-like navigation and shortcut system with icons?
    [/SIZE]
    Hmm, well obviously not every one wants Maya navigation or shortcut system BUT why not have it as option? What's wrong with more options. CORE has navigation like LW (or better, i've made my work slightly better but still LWM alike) or Maya or MAX, you can adjust/change it to whatever liking (it's not hard-coded like in LW) and shortcut system is context sensitive (you can have shortcuts inside of tools), also you can have skin/interface like Lw or any other app, you can have ICONS ONLY, TEXT only or BOTH so it really is BEST of all worlds and users decide and yet LW to this very own day (4 years later) still can't do any of that. So although CORE project did many things wrong THIS what you mention it NOT been mistake at all, it was better.

LWavers need to stop thinking that TEXT only on buttons and LW navigation are best in world and fit all the needs. People from other apps would also disagree with that so why not give them option to make navigation as they want and by that "lure" more users to LW by giving them flexibility of navigation and shortcuts or GUI look. Nothing wrong there.
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast