Thread: AirPlay Mirroring into TriCaster

AirPlay Mirroring into TriCaster

I've posted a new white paper with instructions on how to use AirPlay Mirroring to get an iPad interface into a TriCaster's NET. While this can also be done using AppleTV, this method provides another solution in case you don't have an available video input on your TriCaster.

I've also created some VSE sets to display your iPad interface in a virtual input with a background of your choosing. It gives you a nice way to display the iPad interface in a HD frame.

This information is compatible all TriCaster XD systems.

Information and virtual sets are available from here: http://bit.ly/kanesworld
    Last edited by kanep; 06-17-2014 at 10:57 AM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    I love the name "Kanes World"
    Thanks for all the constant white papers!!!
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

TriCaster 860 PortaStudio
    Has anyone made the new iOS8 peer-to-peer networking work with TriCaster?

I've not yet updated my iPad to iOS8, I figured it would break AirPlay (like it has every time in the past with a major upgrade).

I do believe that AirServer had an update to make it work with iOS8. I'm not sure if iOS8 effects TriCaster's ability to work with AirPlay.
    Last edited by kanep; 10-03-2014 at 08:07 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I posted on update on this white paper. The AirServer application referenced in it has been updated with Miracast support! Miracast is similar to AirPlay Mirroring but works one some devices like Android, Windows Phone and Blackberry.

I don't have the equipment to test it at this point (none of my mobile devices have Miracast support), so I would be interested to hear back from someone that can try it out. http://bit.ly/kanesworld
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Updated this white paper. AirServer just added ChromeCast support! This one app now supports three 'screen casting' protocols.

http://bit.ly/kanesworld

Also, wanted to point out that NDI Connect Pro also supports AirPlay (with mirroring).
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Updated this white paper. AirServer just added ChromeCast support! This one app now supports three 'screen casting' protocols.

http://bit.ly/kanesworld

Also, wanted to point out that NDI Connect Pro also supports AirPlay (with mirroring).
    As always great info Kane.

PS the iOS mirror function on Connect Pro works great
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-08-15.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	958.1 KB 
ID:	134033  
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

After researching how to bring a mobile screen onto the Tricaster - this is the workflow.
    I used an app called Google Cast - its free and doing smooth casting.
    In addition - I used another app name Reflector 2 - that transmitted to the Google Cast from the mobile phone.

Reflector is similar to AirServer. I've not used it, but should perform the same function.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

So with the Chromecast functionality is the chromecast plugged into an input on the Tricaster or via net. We haven't really explored this functionality much but are starting to get intrigued. We have had troubles with airplay and various workarounds for a few programs but managed to make it work. The Chromecast sounds like it may be a little simpler if there is not a PC on a net connection stuck in the middle. I don't have a Chromecast to play with but would get one if I think it works nice and easy.
    Philip Hinkle
    State Bar of Wisconsin

TriCaster 460 and Certified Operator
    JVC GY-HM750 2-4 cams

AirServer acts like a Chromecast dongle and receives the signal and displays it to the computer screen. Then you use NDI Scan Converter (or iVGA Pro) to display the computer screen into TriCaster.

I've used AirServer with Apple AirPlay and tested a bit with the Chrome Chromecast extension both which worked fine. I still don't have any Miracast devices, so I've been unable to test this method.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Sorry for extra questions. I'm not 100% sure how Chromecast is working. Does the iPad stream it's screen to the Chromecast which is plugged into a video input on the tricaster? I guess I'm trying to figure out what plugs into what and what signals go where. It sounded like Chromecast took the middle man (AirServer) out of the equation but it is sounding more like it is just another piece of a puzzle. Does Chromecast make it easier? If not why do I want a Chromecast...extra functionality? Sorry, I just a bit confused cause our one attempt at this before got complicated and I'm not even sure how we made it work.
    Philip Hinkle
    State Bar of Wisconsin

JVC GY-HM750 2-4 cams

I believe in this thread Chromecast refers to the format the device is sending. Chromecast is a video client program running under android or windows which transmits AV over IP, not to be confused by the chromecast HDMI device which is a hardware network to hdmi reciever which hangs off the back of a TV etc.

Airserver has the ability to resolve Chromecast broadcasts coming from the client video devices.

I've been using airserver for years now it works great to capture windows, android and iOS mobile devices. The airserver screen gets captured and ingested via NDI.
    Last edited by AElli; 08-30-2016 at 12:32 PM.

The Chromecast I'm speaking of allows applications with Chromecast support to send their screen/output to AirServer which in turn will allow you to get it into TriCaster.

If you are using an iOS device you don't really need Chromecast as you can use AirPlay instead which AirServer also supports.

Basically the workflow for any of these solution is as follows.

MOBILE DEVICE ===(IP via AirPlay/MiraCast/Chromecast)===> AIRSERVER ===(IP via NDI or AirSend)===> TRICASTER

Basically AirServer acts a bridge to get these screencasting formats converted into something you can use with NDI Scan Converter or iVGA Pro to get into a TriCaster without having to use up a hardware input.
    Last edited by kanep; 08-30-2016 at 08:30 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks, Makes sense now. I was just confused. Networking is not my strongest knowledgebase but getting stronger slowly.
    Philip Hinkle
    State Bar of Wisconsin

JVC GY-HM750 2-4 cams