Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Animated/varying gradient keys: uses for? : Transition to Fall effect

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Lightbulb Animated/varying gradient keys: uses for? : Transition to Fall effect

TMK only once have I seen anybody have a use for ANIMATING the key positions in a Gradient. (I think it was bryphii77 and I don't remember why. Something about deformation....)

So, 1) does anybody have a use for animating the position of Gradient keys?

And, 2) I think I just saw a use for that.

I was watching Deuce Bennett's (SIGGRAPH?) presentation on Instancing and he used INSTANCE ID to vary the color of a matrix of trees to a variety of "fall colors". That's nice, but static, and it occurred to me that if you could animate (which you can) the position of the Gradient keys, you could animate the entire grove of trees smoothly from vibrant Spring and Summer greens to a variety of Fall reds and oranges.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    Animating keys is great for nodal motion, (just make sure you're in linear colourspace).
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
    Animating keys is great for nodal motion, (just make sure you're in linear colourspace).
    1) How about some examples? Without a concrete principle I have trouble imagining it.

2) !?!?..... oh, because the Gradient is color based? I guess you'd use Alphas (???) if you just wanted a ....scalerish value. Wait, are alphas immune to the changes of colorspace?

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    2) !?!?..... oh, because the Gradient is color based? I guess you'd use Alphas (???) if you just wanted a ....scalerish value. Wait, are alphas immune to the changes of colorspace?
    Not necessarily but good thought. Coincidentally, I just now put in a request for a CS switch for the Gradient node. I imagine there might be other nodes that could benefit from this switch but Gradient is the one that stands out for me.

Alternatively, I understand that you can use a third party Change CS node to fix this. (I think you can download it free from DB&W). Either way, I feel controlling CS in the nodes editor should be a native feature since some studios may prefer to run 'vanilla only' Lightwave.

G.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    It's possible that the... Gradient Curves?... node is immune to CS issues.... possible...

Still looking for examples of animating the keys' positions...

To do stuff like this:

All driven by nodal motion apart from the keyframed UFO.

Can't show you the nodes yet as I promised the reveal to the London user group first.
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    Coincidentally, I just now put in a request for a CS switch for the Gradient node.
    I did that about six months ago, haven't seen it yet.
    Al

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    To do stuff like this:
    All driven by nodal motion apart from the keyframed UFO.
    Can't show you the nodes yet as I promised the reveal to the London user group first.
    Since you can't show me the network, perhaps you could describe situations/scenarios/principles wherein someone would animate the keys' positions.

Thanks.

That's pretty cool! I hope you will share the secret with the rest of the world after the presentation...very curious to see your setup.

I did that about six months ago, haven't seen it yet.
    Yeah, I imagine a lot of users have asked for this.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Since you can't show me the network, perhaps you could describe situations/scenarios/principles wherein someone would animate the keys' positions.

Thanks.
    Okay, imagine the aim of the missile launcher. It has a fixed "standby" starting position, (one end of the gradient), and a variable "aim" position, (the other end), fed by frame number. Now add an animated key with the same settings as the standby position somewhere in the middle, and you can use something else, say the UFO speed, to trigger exactly when the launcher starts its aim routine. That way the tracking does nothing whilst the UFO dawdles around, but as soon as it starts moving quickly, it's located and tracked. Just like doppler radar.
    Al

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    !? "Trigger"? Well, I guess I'll have to wait 'til after your presentation.

Okay, I'll simplify a little. Suppose you have an animation of a gun firing and recoiling. To do the recoil you might have the motions defined by three keyframes in an animation, 1)barrel forward, 2) barrel back, 3)barrel forward again. You set up the gradients to give you the required animation, say fast recoil then slower return to position. But you may not want to be constantly going in and changing keyframes every time the director wants the timing changed in the shot, so you set up a constant with the frame number you want the animation to start. Using this constant, you pump in the position of the first key to key one on the gradient, add say, five frames, and use this value to drive the position of the second keyframe, and ditto for the third. Thus the animation starts exactly when you want it, runs exactly the same each time, but can be changed by just altering one value.

Does that make any more sense?
    Al

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I think I understand--will have to play around with that tonight.

Just setting up a quick scene myself. It was that or playing with the jet engine/hypervoxels thing in another thread.
    Al

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast