Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Why C4D?!?

C4D blows LW away in every department except rendering but hey they've got VRAY.
    I took a bite at it and haven't looked back since.
    I hardly touch LW now.
    Last edited by Hail; 11-06-2014 at 09:24 AM.

think about we cannot import camera view into modeler for a simple modelling task.....they have 3d camera tracker... !!!!

anyways lets resist temptation and wait for next lw..

by the way we should start DPkit presets thread..and add there all presets - scene examples we can find ..

ShortsightedSithAssassin
    Quote Originally Posted by Hail View Post
    C4D blows LW away in every department except rendering but hey they've got VRAY.
    I took a bit at it and I haven't looked back since.
    I hardly touch LW now.
    Same here. Also, C4D has Octane, Thea, Indigo, Maxwell, Corona, Arnold (soon) Renderman, Krakatoa, native Keyshot support... I think it has access to more renderers than pretty much any other app. To be honest, LW is still better for some modelling tasks, and C4D's UV tools aren't great, but overall I find I get a lot more done in less time with less hassle. LW is now gathering virtual dust on my hard drive, but if v12 ever appears (and is good), maybe it'll see sunlight again.
    Dogs can save your life, but cats will watch you die and then eat you.

CATS: They can't be trusted

ShortsightedSithAssassin
    Also, I don't agree that C4D's success is just down to motion graphics. Aix Sponza does some utterly amazing things with it…

http://www.aixsponza.com/projects/dreadnought/

As do many other studios. And it's not why I bought the app either.
    Dogs can save your life, but cats will watch you die and then eat you.

CATS: They can't be trusted

i m planing to use C4D as lightwave's layout i am addicted to modeler- lwcad etc

Also, I don't agree that C4D's success is just down to motion graphics.
    agree, certainly not, thought it's a big plus for them
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I think C4D's background in the Mac world really helped, and Macoids seem to like that style of presentation.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

C4D convert here, but still use a lot of Lightwave. I'll wait to see what LW12 brings next year before deciding where my money goes.

motivalex,

what's your occupation ? what do you use C4D for, and LW for... ?
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    motivalex,

what's your occupation ? what do you use C4D for, and LW for... ?
    2D/3D Motion graphics and editor. A bit of everything from low budget tv commercials to motion graphic promo/training vids to 3D engineering/medical visualisations. Lightwave main strength is the quality speedy renderer. Cinema 4D renderer is slower in comparison and not as nice (but fine for plenty mo-graph type stuff), but does have plenty 3rd party renderers to choose from. The After Effects plugin, bullet, instances, flocking, spline control and few other enhancements in LW 11.x stopped me from dumping LW. Though so much still needs addressing including such basic things as the 1990s UI with panels open everywhere inc the old fashioned scene and graph editor. Modeller is archaic but for organic modelling, prefer it over C4D, but everything else C4D. So easy to setup and modify text based mo-graph animations in Cinema.

If I was brand new to the industry and choosing a new 3D app today, it would not be Lightwave based on its current rep I read in forums as a old fashioned but very capable app on its way out. I have a nostalgia feeling for LW as first started using it at Uni in 1997 (ver 5). So hoping LW 12 will be a mjor modernisation. If not I will walk from it and Cinema 4D will become my main app, with an eye on Modo.

I think another reason why it may be gaining more popularity is because Autodesk is losing its popularity. It's pricing (especially upgrade or lack of upgrade) policies has been turning off a lot of folks. 3ds Max has been seeing paltry feature releases the past 3yrs or so....and XSI users are likely to hate AD so much, that even Maya's recent features aren't enough to keep them onboard. LW has been declining in the marketplace for some time, so it makes more and more sense.

That may be so, but also there is the upside which is with all they are doing - not just Autodesk - software is coming more accessible. It is a trend. Moving away from high-priced one-time payments to biting off smaller - pay as you go - models and even tiered models for smaller business.

Although there may be a perception of this as unpopular based on some forum responses. I am not 100% sure that the numbers actually add up to less popular when you look at the overall effect.

Just another way to look at it.

If anything there is more competition which is driving companies to look more tightly at the bottom line and even try and win over a market that otherwise has been ignored because it was too small.

Blender has had a huge impact on this factor in my opinion.

For me I will always use the tools I think are best for the job all around and at the moment that is the AD products I currently own. I will likely pass on this year's subscription and wait to see what rentals have to offer as an alternative. I am not decided yet though.

Why Cinema has no Preview renderer is geyond me, it makes LW so much more useful, IMO. I use both, and in Cinema its really like "What, I need to hit the render button to actually see what I am doing !?" LW is miles ahead in that area. Not so in others
    Bye,
    Emmanuel

----------------
    For Hire
    Portfolio
    Graveyard Dogs Indie game dev blog, visit and vote for the best RPG of all time !

Not a C4D person, but is this what you are referring to?

http://vimeo.com/70875095

New in R15.

No really nothing about C4D so I am not sure what the limitations are but apparently this is part of the PBR:

http://www.maxon.net/products/cinema...rendering.html

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel View Post
    Why Cinema has no Preview renderer is geyond me, it makes LW so much more useful, IMO. I use both, and in Cinema its really like "What, I need to hit the render button to actually see what I am doing !?" LW is miles ahead in that area. Not so in others
    Not sure what version of C4D you've got there but I'm sitting on r15 and it does have a previewer. It isn't as elegant as vpr but it is there and it works. I use it all the time.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast