Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Why C4D?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    What you did, with your post was to generalize about what tools LW-users need in order to make it function, and made a point that, in fact it LW is more expensive than C4D.

These are the two commercial plugins I use in LW:

Janus
    exrTrader

The rest of the third party tools I use are free.

Thanks for pointing that out! I should have said simply, what many need to make it function for their needs. Do not remember saying cost more than C4D there, the point is/was, that the base price of what the typical LW users states, is not the general price when he adds in his other tools he adds to get it going for what he/she wants.

yes, forgot exrTrader, have that also many years in the LW Arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by chazriker View Post
    How about tools native in LW that aren't native in C4D, like being able to rig things with game controllers?

Another quick controller test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omfU9KG2-lM

There's quite a bit that you pay extra for to have access to in C4D. Even so, if the price fits the needs of production, there's little reason to fret over things regardless of the application we're talking about. Just buy the tools you need that get the job done. Simple as that.
    Yep. No matter what tool you use, there is no reason to belittle one over the other. If C4D works for someone, that is great. If LW works for someone else, that is great too. Depending of what one does, LW might become more/less expensive compared to C4D.

One of the reasons I like LW is because it consists of a forum that is extremely helpfull towards users. I am trying to contribute to that positive way of thinking; if there is a problem, lets solve it. If that solution consists of workarounds, then that's it. At least these workarounds can be documented so that LW3DG can have a chance to deal with them and make things smoother.

Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

In regards to Kinect (seeing used in part of controller motion), can one use it directly within LW without the Nevronrmotion App?

Sorry, perhaps should just do a search here.

Quote Originally Posted by jburford View Post
    In regards to Kinect (seeing used in part of controller motion), can one use it directly within LW without the Nevronrmotion App?
    The kinect, no, that's Nevron only. However Virtual Studio works with any device that uses HID to interface with the computer. That PS2 controller demo uses a controller adapter I got for $4, and the controllers were from someone who was about to throw them away... good thing too, because PS2 controllers are quality hardware devices with pressure sensitive inputs.

However, I will say that the workflow for rigging devices to be used in Lightwave for animation are largely undocumented. I hope to change this is in the near future... possibly January/Febuary; I have a lot of fish to fry with training content gaps
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 11-09-2014 at 06:15 PM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Sorry, perhaps should just do a search here.
    Not sure. Probably not. Maybe if a third party have made a plugin?
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by chazriker View Post
    However, I will say that the workflow for rigging devices to be used in Lightwave for animation are largely undocumented.
    ::dryly:: Imagine if all of LightWave's existing features were documented: it'd look like a new app.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

________________________LightWave_______C4D Broadcast_____C4D Studio
    Base Price______________$1500___________$1700__________ ___$3700
    LWCAD_________________$330____________not needed________not needed
    Cage Deformer._________$200____________not needed________not needed
    Lattice Deformer.________$80_____________not needed________not needed
    Ineractive Boolean.______$60_____________not needed________not needed
    3D Camera Tracker_________________________________________in cluded
    3D Painting_____________$500____________Body Paint_________Body Paint
    CA Tools._______________$200____________not needed________not needed

( with that, your LW is hitting around $2500 or so easily)
    this list leaves out dynamics, which only C4D Studio has, a big minus unfortunately

there's also a Big If here...
    LWCAD, nice, but i'm fine with the free plugins only
    Lattice Deformer, nice but i only need the Cage Deformer
    Interactive Boolean, nice but don't need it, and in Layout i use DP Boolean
    3D Camera Tracker, cool, but i need a high quality tracker, SynthEyes
    3D Painting, many will use for example 3DCoat
    CA Tools, not necessarily needed

i'd lean to Octane instead of Vray myself, or alternatively Kray.

Users begging through the years for active Deformers and finally praising things
    with the likes of http://www.3rdpowers.com/index_store.html Deformers....
    agree, i thought it was strange to see this not included in LightWave, still do.

Why has so many LW users left to go to Modo, C4D, Maya or otherwise? If these things
    are not missing in LW???
    many LightWaver's got quite aggravated by the Core failure.

to Unify the App
    the Modeler / Layout split i believe have frustrated some LightWaver's as well.

but it's a good thing you bring it up jburford,
    it's certainly important to ask oneself "what tool is right for you"

LightWave Base Price $1500
    guess we should also add that LightWave can be bought half-price on occasions, $800 something i never see with C4D
    also not to forget, the C4D upgrade price, $1000, which is higher than the LightWave upgrades, $700
    (actually bit surprised by the LW upgrade price, thought it was lower, but in LW one can always skip an upgrade)
    Last edited by erikals; 11-10-2014 at 03:42 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I have to say that I actually love Cinemas physical renderer. Everythings 50% post anyway But Maxon sure does add useful things for their target audience, and as everybody else, carry on some unsolved issues ( symmetry painting in Bodypaint is a nogo). I find it always fascinating how simple things that in LW are so natural, like symmetry modelling, are so strange in most other packages, but good for us that LW exists On the other hand, stuff like deformers and modifier stacks are a big,big problem in LW.
    Bye,
    Emmanuel

----------------
    For Hire
    Portfolio
    Graveyard Dogs Indie game dev blog, visit and vote for the best RPG of all time !

( symmetry painting in Bodypaint is a nogo)
    yeah, to me BP was always waay over priced... :/

it should've been less than 3DCoat, at $400

--------------

but i sure do hope LW3DG keeps a third eye on C4D, especially when it comes to "ease of use"
    Last edited by erikals; 11-10-2014 at 03:47 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Not totally unrelated since Maxon offers those cool quick tips videos: whats Cody up to these days, I loved his minituts !
    Bye,
    Emmanuel

----------------
    For Hire
    Portfolio
    Graveyard Dogs Indie game dev blog, visit and vote for the best RPG of all time !

Erikals,

I know, many LW users do not wish for a Unified Package at all, many LW Users do not need a functioning Undo at all. Many LW Users Do not need Parametric Objects that can stay in that state the entire Scene or Animation. Many LW Users Do not need Non-Destructive Workflows through and Through. Many LW Users do not need Rock Solid Stability and Ease of Use. Many LW Users do not need the tightest integration with Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere Pro, VizRT, nor Unity.

Nor do most LW users want or need to Animate through all of the Workflow including all Modeling Actions instead of being seperated into another App. And loading large scenes is also not a wish of them without their App locking up. Having Bevel as an additional Deformer (Non-Destructive Beveling workflows) are also not something the LW Users would want. Nor are any other dozens of real time Deformers wished nor needed.

I understand that and hear them and you!

But to me, this is just something that I can not live without, and, to me, is worth the price. As said time and time before, Time is also Money. We all know this, and deep down and so do you. Using your Tool, you can be a master and a whiz and power through with LW. I know that, LW was my only 3D Tool for over 20 years! And again, the Customer comes in and wants some simple basic changes, and you and all other LW users are simply hosed..... (Without Non-Destructive Editing, even if only for Basic Things like Text and Fonts)

Maxon also offers specials from time to time like Newtek, but yes you are right, you will not find it as cheap as Lightwave. Still a Competitor Upgrade saves you around $500, and most grab the MSA for $650 as opposed paying the full price for an Upgrade and with that you know that another full level comes with that at the least, and are allowed to install on a second machine.

I was lucky around 2 years back, Maxon had a special offer to upgrade to the current version at around 45% off even if coming back from 4-5 versions back. (I had picked up an older 10 version through ebay and voila) And, for me hard to believe, after being only a LW Die Hard, was after about 3 months of working my way in, have probably only been in LW for around 4 hours in the past 2 years)

Anyways, Yes, we all know that C4D Costs more than LW.

And although most are my points above are not pertinent to you nor others, I ask you, if Newtek does not at least reach that above which does not interest anyone for it's more value, for say the next 2 Versions. . .. how many of the die hard LW'ers will be staying around after that?

Cheers and Best Wishes,
    Last edited by jburford; 11-10-2014 at 04:55 AM.

lets see version 12 first..then we will see. by the way im buying every affordable training for c4d..right now.. just to be prepared.. as a die hard modeler fan.. i may use c4d as a secondary layout i guess.. but what if blackmagic buys lightwave..oh boy

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    lets see version 12 first..then we will see. by the way im buying every affordable training for c4d..right now.. just to be prepared.. as a die hard modeler fan.. i may use c4d as a secondary layout i guess.. but what if blackmagic buys lightwave..oh boy
    tyrot, depending on the Country that you are in, if you have an MSA with Maxon, you might get a complete year subscription to Cineversity (like Genoma, or others) for free. Should be that way in the US as well as Germany here (at moment), regardless if you have the Prime Version or through the Studio Version ($200-600 for MSA) and not pay the $330 Subscription Fee to Cineversity. Might save you money instead of buying too much training.

And anyways, like Lightwave and Blender, there is also a ton of free training available all over.

ShortsightedSithAssassin
    Another great reason to try C4D: X-Particles 3

http://www.x-particles.com

Upcoming version looks stunning.
    Dogs can save your life, but cats will watch you die and then eat you.

CATS: They can't be trusted

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    maxon also offers specials from time to time like newtek, but yes you are right, you will not find it as cheap as lightwave. Still a competitor upgrade saves you around $500, and most grab the msa for $650 as opposed paying the full price for an upgrade and with that you know that another full level comes with that at the least, and are allowed to install on a second machine.
    "msa"?
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast