Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why C4D?!?

Why C4D?!?

I'm looking at job postings, and it seems everyone has a hard-on for Cinema 4D. In fact, it's easier to get a job if you have C4D experience than if you have Maya, Houdini, LW, or Max experience (forget about XSI). What?!? What's going on here? I remember when C4D was an also-ran to LW. And I've used it! It's not awesome. The interface is constraining, obtrusive... kind of like Caligari would look like in the 21st century. It's being used primarily for motion graphics, but what is in their secret sauce? I mean, nearly every platform connects with After Effects now. So what's the deal? Is it their marketing? Education deals? Packaging? Is there a special surprise in the box? (That last one was for the Worley crew).

j
    james lloyd
    BlueSky Studios

Doing motion graphics is really easy in it.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Quote Originally Posted by ernpchan View Post
    Doing motion graphics is really easy in it.
    Um, no. Not the point. Just don't understand why C4D is the holy grail of motion graphics, all of a sudden. I've been doing this for over 20 years, and I just don't get it.
    james lloyd
    BlueSky Studios

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    It's a well-thought out, consistent, modern application that really concentrated on doing 3d text well.

And it's more procedural than, say, LW, with dynamic effects that are easily applied and experimented with.

Its interface is POLISHED, colorful, and logical. It has tools like deformation cages that only recently became available in LW, and only as an extra.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 06-12-2014 at 11:45 PM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Well, those are all subjective opinions, that I suppose you are welcome to have. Mine are no more relevant than yours, I guess. But I take exception with your 'more procedural' comment... effects in C4D just seem canned, like they are indeed easily replicated but seldom stray from the 'out of the box' category. Which may alone explain it's success. But you'd be hard pressed to say that their interface is better than Maya, Houdini, Max, etc. That's just subjective opinion.
    james lloyd
    BlueSky Studios

I don't know why. But I would not mind having the time and opportunity to find out.

Hey James, I would have to agree with you on the subjective part. My guess as to C4D owning the Motion Graphics arena would have to do with them coming out with Mograph and the web site http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/tutorials/
    This site have a ridiculous plethora of free training. I ran the LW user group in Houston from 2002 to 2006 as well as the Softimage user group. Because I worked for a reseller at the time I was a trainer for C4D as well as 3DS Max. My point is that have been doing 3D for 20 years as well and I use LW Softimage Zbrush and Houdini because I personally connect with there work flows.

You know one of the really big things that added to holding LW back was the dongle. I came back from teaching in China in 2009 and in less than two year I sold about 150 seats of Lightwave into the educational market. The biggest issue was that they would lose the dongles. The Schools I dealt with wanted to teach LW because it was an easyer tool to teach on. The second thing was that it used real world measurments and the scientific parts of the tool in many cases is real world.
    I just hope that they can grow and market LW so it can rise again in the market.
    The LW Beast From the East

Top Dog
    Because with Adobe CC, you get the Lite version. I've had a colleague who has been threatening to learn a 3D app for five years. I've been steering him towards LW, but it just never made sense to him.

A couple of months ago, he spent a couple of hours learning the version in CC. Since then, he's been using 3D in all his projects.

Good points all. The dongle is quite silly, and is going away it seems. I believe the only reason 3DMax exists today is that it was easy to pirate copies in the early 90's, when LW had a 'dongle' called the Video Toaster. Maybe they'll learn eventually.

But still... why C4D over Max, Maya, Houdini, etc? Is it really just text handling? Really? I'm stumped.
    james lloyd
    BlueSky Studios

I want to keep this on topic, as a LW user. Cinema 4D was a program that I experimented with (sounds suspicious) many years ago because it supported LW models and scene files. It just wasn't very good. It had a sub-standard renderer and it's animation paradigm just didn't fit with me. I know it's gotten better on these fronts, or at least I think it has. But I've never thought, "Oh boy, I hope LW/Maya/Houdini/XSI gets these features!" It's just always felt like the next app to fall off the bus, like TrueSpace, etc. Now I find that it's the most desired skill for hiring departments around the world. I feel like I just woke up in crazy town. What's next? Poser?

I did like Bodypaint, FWIW.
    james lloyd
    BlueSky Studios

I think they saw an opportinity to specialize on a market and went for it. People like to put things in little boxes, to put things in their place and to use the "best tool for the job". So if you are making games or arch viz they think it's Max or nothing, for movies it's Maya, for volumetric special effects like fire and smoke it's Houdini, etc. This leaves the all around apps ouside of any genre and that tends to short-circuit some peoples' minds. I know a few guys that love it, but they don't know any better ;o)

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    For example, TEXT in C4D can be animated as to CONTENT, iow the actual letters. This is 'procedural'. In contrast, meshes in LW are basically "dead", frozen.

In addition, C4D will allow deformations, arrays & matrices, animated extrusions, animated booleans-- all these are useful and common mograph elements. IMO the c4d coders looked at what 2d designers were doing, and implemented it in 3d. It's designer friendly.

Doing most of this stuff is possible in LW, but requires a ton more experience, for instance, you must know how to create and accurately apply gradated weight maps to accomplish some things. Doable, but laborious, and not especially easily editable.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

OK, but my point is that nearly EVERY 3d platform (Max, Maya, Houdini, XSI) is capable of this as well. I know what procedural modeling and animation is. Why C4D?

BTW, try shattering and exploding a mesh that isn't 'dead, frozen'. It can be done, with a huge hit on the stack, regardless of which platform you use. But give me a 'dead' mesh to manipulate any day of the week and I'll get out dozens of iterations quicker.
    james lloyd
    BlueSky Studios

C4D is very good for Motion graphics and text. The UI is not to bad as UI's goes. It certainly has taken market share. However look at price. There are 5 versions of C4D and the top one "Studio", is expensive for what it is. Looks alike they wanted to have a version at the AD price range but also one at the LW price range.

Yes LW has its issues and modeler needs an overhaul, but its better than Prime i think and cheaper than Studio. C4D has also managed to convince some good plugin developers to support it, this i think is one of the major reasons.

Overall C4D is excellent at mograph which is where it positioned itself, has a nice tool set, great support from 3rd party developers, however it comes at a price and for Studio that price is steep.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Hi
    I work with Cinema 4D since 2002. The discussions about why this software and not that software are so old like the softwares itself I have recorded two casts about why Cinema 4D and other casts about C4D. You can find it on my Homepage. BTW. I come from Cinema 4D and I starded with Lightwave since 2 month aswell.

http://www.conzo.ch/Podcast.html

There is nothing wrong to use a combination of different 3D Software if those help you to create you visions. I also have Modo 701, Z-Brush, Blender and Lightwave installed on my PC to be honest.

I often say: " The "Best 3D Software" is useless if you don't have talent and the eye for 3D.“

SaL CDA

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast